Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

WalterX wrote: »
    I moved to the US for work about a year ago, and from what I've seen, this type of thing isn't going to stop anytime soon. Even Obama hasn't made any serious move to try to curb gun ownership.

1) You'll see the USA break into a civil war if anyone tried to take their guns away.

2)This senseless act will see a spike in guns sales

Really? So no one would be able to stop a man armed with a baseball bat before he kills 27 people?

Yeah right, saying baseball bats are just as dangerous as guns is idiotic.

How many teachers do you suppose were in the room? If the teachers in the building had guns I doubt 27 people would be dead now.
    As for which is more dangerous, obviously one is less likely to seriously hurt oneself accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Absolutely ****ing sick! What would drive a person to do this? Bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Blay wrote: »
    An 'assault rifle' has select fire capability, the AR15's people buy over the counter in the US do not have select fire. They're no more dangerous than any other semi automatic rifle you can buy such as a Mini 14, M1 Carbine etc. People use them shooting deer, targets etc. People here use them for the same thing..it's not just Americans that have them

We do have pistols in Ireland. These threads always expose the lack of knowledge people here have about our own laws.

You appear to be defending the sale of assault rifles to the general public - for target shooting no less. While you could use them for shooting targets, that is not their primary purpose.

I defer to your knowledge of the specific of Irish gun-laws, but it was my understanding that I can not get a license for a pistol tomorrow for example, or get one easily - i.e. that these were tightly controlled. I could get a Limited cartridge pump-action shot-gun, or a small rifle yes, but not a pistol.

In previous school shootings, people have been armed with fully automatic guns, and even grenades and the like. So please don't go defending the sale of such items.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bloody yanks and their guns. It's not as if the King of England is going to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mikom wrote: »
    Manicmoran and MaDSL are onroute to this thread.
    ETA approx page 2.

Good call. Seems my reputation preceded me, sorry I'm late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

People here in Ireland are always banging on about firearms laws in the US being too lax. Even if you tightned them up it would make no difference.

In Ireland things are WAAAAAAY stricter than America, yet it is still fairly easy to get a firearm and there are hundreds of thousands of legally held firearms in the country yet we have zero problem with gun crime.

(The shootings in limerick and Dublin are invariably done with illegal weapons).

I would like to hear the people who bang on about tightening up US gun laws explain exactly what they would do to improve the situation in terms of law change, and I would also like to hear them explain how that would work.

This is a terrible tragedy by the way, don't get me wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tails_naf wrote: »
    You appear to be defending the sale of assault rifles to the general public - for target shooting no less. While you could use them for shooting targets, that is not their primary purpose.

I can not get a license for a pistol tomorrow for example. Limited cartridge shot-gun and small rifle yes, but not a pistol.

In previous school shootings, people have been armed with fully automatic guns, and even grenades and the like. So please don't go defending the sale of such items.

They're not assault rifles, people here own the same rifles. Are the Gardai licencing assault rifles now too? They're semi automatic rifles, you can use them for any purpose...hunting, target shooting, home defence.

Yes you can? You fill in an FCA1 the same as if you were getting a shotgun or rifle. There's no restriction to 'small' rifles anymore, you can get a .308 as easy as a .22lr if you have a reason for it.

What school shooting involved a fully automatic assault rifle? Link to the story is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Sky King wrote: »
    I would like to hear the people who bang on about tightening up US gun laws explain exactly what they would do to improve the situation in terms of law change, and I would also like to hear them explain how that would work.
    Do not allow people to own guns. Is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MadsL wrote: »
    Good call. Seems my reputation preceded me, sorry I'm late.

At ease.
    How was your flight Eagle1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That reporter they are showing on the news now from the states is a joke. You can sense he can barely contain his excitement over this "amazing" story and what a "lucky day" for that poor woman who's son witnessed a shooter going through the halls killing people. Total lack of respect shown by him for the dead and their families. Quite surreal viewing, watching him try to grab sound bites from a child who was quite likely friends with many of the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Sand wrote: »
    Coincidentally the BBC is reporting a school attack in China today where 22 children have been wounded by a guy with a knife. School attacks in China aren't rare - 20 children have been killed in them in recent years. Gun ownership is a coincidental factor in these cases - not a cause. Even if private gun ownership was entirely banned in the US you would still have gun crime.

Absolute ****e. Its how easy this man was able to get guns that is the problem. You think that if guns were illegal that he would still have got the "multiple" guns he used in this attack? Do you think the death toll would be as high if he used a knife? Don't give me that crap about it not being anyway related to how guns are legal in America. The bottom line is, this man and the many other people who go on these rampages have the confidence to do so because they have such easy access to guns.

Bloody yanks and their guns. It's not as if the King of England is going to come back.

Actually the second amendment is for the establishment of civilian control of a peacetime army, nothing to do with England.

33 kids in China stabbed. What's your position on that?

Psycos go psyco. Fact of life. Tragic, but this will happen and continue to happen regardless of weapon controls.

kincsem wrote: »
    Do not allow people to own guns. Is that ok?

No it's not. Shooting is an olympic sport. It's also useful for hunting. Target shooting is also an enjoyable hobby,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

At a loss for words. 27, if not more, families torn apart. Fúck those responsible and the countless others out there, this is not the first and it wont be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

No it's not. Shooting is an olympic sport. It's also useful for hunting. Target shooting is also an enjoyable hobby,
    So guns for everyone because there are all Olympians?

Absolute ****e. Its how easy this man was able to get guns that is the problem. You think that if guns were illegal that he would still have got the "multiple" guns he used in this attack? Do you think the death toll would be as high if he used a knife? Don't give me that crap about it not being anyway related to how guns are legal in America. The bottom line is, this man and the many other people who go on these rampages have the confidence to do so because they have such easy access to guns.

Anders Breivik, Michael Ryan and Derek Bird would beg to differ with your assessment of firearms laws.

kincsem wrote: »
    So guns for everyone because there are all Olympians?

No, you don't need to be an olympian to enjoy an olympic sport.

Other Olympic sports include boxing, and athletics. There are many more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

We do have pistols in Ireland. These threads always expose the lack of knowledge people here have about our own laws.

The only thing I could find about pistols in ireland for civilians is here:
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/cp/ireland

It says that they are prohibited, though a window between 2004 and 2008 allowed for them to be registered. So that says to me that we cannot get them here now, and rightly so.

There are lots of responsible people in Ireland who enjoy target shooting with legally owned pistols.

• Advertisement

Anders Breivik, Michael Ryan and Derek Bird would beg to differ with your assessment of firearms laws.

There are exceptions to every rule. There are 840 million people in Europe. There are roughly 400 million people in America. Every year there are around 3 -5 school or mass shootings in America (Maybe more this year). There are more deaths due to firearms in America than any other first world country.

Why would anyone need a fully automatic machine gun? Why would anyone need 2?

How can you even justify the legalisation of guns in America after an incident like this?

On March 23 of that year, Zheng Minsheng attacked children at an elementary school in Fujian Province, killing eight.

One month later, just a few hours after Zheng Minsheng was executed for his crime, another man, Chen Kanbing wounded 16 students and a teacher in a knife attack at another primary school in Fujian. The following month, on May 12, a man named Wu Huangming killed seven children and two adults with a meat cleaver at a kindergarten in Shaanxi Province. That attack was followed by an August 4 assault by Fang Jiantang, who killed three children and one teacher with a knife at a kindergarten in Shandong Province.

In 2011, a young girl and three adults were killed with an axe at an elementary school in Henan Province by a 30-year-old man named Wang Hongbin, and eight children were hurt in Shanghai after an employee at a child care center attacked them with a box cutter.

Easy access to knives clearly a factor in this isn't it. Ban knives?

tails_naf wrote: »
    The only thing I could find about pistols in ireland for civilians is here:
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/cp/ireland

It says that they are prohibited, though a window between 2004 and 2008 allowed for them to be registered. So that says to me that we cannot get them here now, and rightly so.

Centrefire pistols are no longer available here here, if you had one before 2008 you can keep it. But right now anybody can go and licence a .22lr pistol once you have a reason to hold it. I don't know what the focus is on pistols anyway, there has never been one crime committed with a legally held pistol in Ireland, they were banned because the gov. feared they would be stolen in robberies, despite not one ever having been stolen.

How can you even justify the legalisation of guns in America after an incident like this?

But are you suggesting that if you only allowed these guys to legally buy shotguns that it would prevent them from carrying out the shooting?

I don't think that it would.

On March 23 of that year, Zheng Minsheng attacked children at an elementary school in Fujian Province, killing eight.

One month later, just a few hours after Zheng Minsheng was executed for his crime, another man, Chen Kanbing wounded 16 students and a teacher in a knife attack at another primary school in Fujian. The following month, on May 12, a man named Wu Huangming killed seven children and two adults with a meat cleaver at a kindergarten in Shaanxi Province. That attack was followed by an August 4 assault by Fang Jiantang, who killed three children and one teacher with a knife at a kindergarten in Shandong Province.

In 2011, a young girl and three adults were killed with an axe at an elementary school in Henan Province by a 30-year-old man named Wang Hongbin, and eight children were hurt in Shanghai after an employee at a child care center attacked them with a box cutter.

That's a developing country. America is a developed country and there are much more mass shootings in America than there are in China. The death toll in America is also much greater and I believe that there has been 4 mass killings in America since June!?!?!

You do know you need a class three firearms dealers licence to own one. Full auto is not available to ordinary citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

gidget wrote: »
    Very Sad

Between this & the guy who went into an elementary school in China with a knife & went on a slashing rampage. Nutjobs

This is a reason why stricter gun laws are not a panacea. If guns are not available people intent on murder can use knives or vehicles or arson etc.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

But are you suggesting that if you only allowed these guys to legally buy shotguns that it would prevent them from carrying out the shooting?

I don't think that it would.

My point is that Gun control in America is too lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No one managed to kill 27 I see....

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    No one managed to kill 23 I see....

27 (reported)

Advertisement