Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tails_naf wrote: »
    And you were the one who was hung up on the fact that they were not fully-automatic, so therefore perfectly acceptable, when the reality is there is very little difference between the two in this case - as both will deliver more fire power than any normal gun-usage required.

I've been to gun ranges, and in fact like target shooting. No one needs to unload 100 rounds in 2-3 minutes. These guns should not be available in any shape or form to the public. Full, Semi or anything else.

Those using s/a rifles here and in the US on ranges aren't firing a hundred rounds in 2/3 minutes as you state, I think you'll find there is a designated time period that has to be observed between shots and the target would be ragged after 20 shots nevermind 100. That's just your opinion and thankfully the Gardai keep an open mind and those in need of such firearms here are allowed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Connecticut shooter name: Ryan Lanza, age 24.

NBC reporting the mother of shooting suspect Ryan Lanza found dead at the school, not at home

mother is teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary : many of the victims apparently her students

EDIT:
    THE SHOOTERS MOTHER WAS THE TEACHER OF THE KINDERGARTEN CLASSROOM WHERE THE SHOOTING BEGAN

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WalterX

statesaver wrote: »
    Maybe since this is Obama's last 4 years and does not need votes he might make one final attempt to take on the gun lobby in the US.

Like to think he would anyway given that there could be 14 or more children killed today

I doubt it. He's said on multiple occasions that it's not a priority for him and he thinks America needs no new gun legislation.

But one can only hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

RIP... That many kids dead. Its shocking.

How could someone do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hey. Relax , guy!

I was just trying out some NRA logic

This is truly what they think .... they wanted all teachers and lecturers to be armed as a solution to previous mass murders.

After the 11/9 hijackings they said that if everyone was armed on the planes, the incidents would not have occurred.

This is their insane, twisted, mind bogglingly deranged way of thinking ...

And all because they are afraid of their Government. What a country !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Paging RtdH to this thread stat, to start ranting about Obama, RFIDs and 'artillery'.

So you are using the slaughter of children to have a go at another poster.

You do realise that your the one looking bad and not Run to the Hills?

You see how that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

statesaver wrote: »
    The NRA will say tomorrow " why weren't the children armed, would never of happened if they were armed " :D:D

If the NRA make a statement it will more than likely be along the lines of "if this school wasn't a gun free zone then a teacher with a concealed hand gun could have shot the gun man and stopped the shooting."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Guns, along with religion, are at the heart of all that is wrong with America.

I can't see how anyone can defend guns in the wake of this appalling and senseless act of evil.

Cars, root of all traffic accidents. Ban em.
    Butter Knife

No thanks, prefer my steak rare thanks. I also shave with a straight razor, should that weapon be taken off me?
    Piliger wrote: »
    They are obsessed with guns as a sort of national fetish. Guns and violence is glorified. There are more gun dealers in the US than petrol stations ! FFS

Utter bunk. 112k gas stations in the US, 50k gun dealers.
    All because they are afraid of their government ... can you believe this sh1t ? you could not make it up. The Land of the Free .... the Greatest Country in the World .... you know ... all the garbage they keep telling the rest of us ? Yet they are so afraid of their Government that they want everyone to have guns.
    A nation like America has no need to be afraid of it's Government because of that amendment. If you cannot comprehend the 2nd amendment I suggest you read more about American History.
    I would also remind you that Ireland had an armed uprising and armed rebellion against an Irish government in recent history.
    Their answer to mass murders in universities and high schools ? they want teachers and lecturers to be armed. I visited two schools there in 2008 and it is like a war zone ... with armed security guards.
    Notable is that many of the recent mass killings have been in "gun free" zones.
    America is the worst country for gun violence and gun murder and mass murders in schools and malls in the world bar none.
    As with much of what you are saying, this is simply not true.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_hom_wit_fir-crime-gun-violence-homicides-firearms

kincsem wrote: »
    Telegraph.co.uk

The following is a list of the most notable mass shootings that have occurred in the United States since Columbine in 1999.

Why did you only list US events when there are equally mass killings in other parts of the world?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

ElChe32 wrote: »
    More nutters with easy access to guns. Horrible story, my heart goes out to the families and friends of those lost.

Americans have had gun nuts for nearly 3 centuries - the mass shooting are only in recent decades. There is something else going on.

I agree gun control should be tightened, but these shootings often involve people on powerful psyche meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Rip and condolences to everyone involved and affected.

Does this lay any credence to the claim that cannibis, alcohol etc should all or continue to be banned as people can't be trusted with "responsbility" (for want of a better word)?

• Advertisement

Connecticut shooter name: Ryan Lanza, age 24.

NBC reporting the mother of shooting suspect Ryan Lanza found dead at the school, not at home

mother is teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary : many of the victims apparently her students

Father found dead at home.

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
    Connecticut Post reporter tells Sky News 29 people are dead, 20 of them children, after shooting at school in Connecticut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I support gun control, but it's naive to think that preventing easy access to guns would have stopped incidents like this. In many cases they prepare for quite a lot of time in advance and are quite meticulous.

Usually its because of drugs like Xanax which over time damages the frontal lobe. Many americans (including most of the mass shooters) were on these drugs from a young age.

Americans have had gun nuts for nearly 3 centuries - the mass shooting are only in recent decades. There is something else going on.

I agree gun control should be tightened, but these shootings often involve people on powerful psyche meds.

Deleted (NBC said shooter was 20, now reported as 24)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My heart goes out to all of the children and families affected by this tragedy - those who lost their lives and those who will have to bear this trauma for the rest of their lives. No one deserves this, especially children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This world is going beyond depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

MadsL wrote: »

No thanks, prefer my steak rare thanks. I also shave with a straight razor, should that weapon be taken off me?

50k gun dealers is ok in your mind?

A nation like America has no need to be afraid of it's Government because of that amendment. If you cannot comprehend the 2nd amendment I suggest you read more about American History.
    I would also remind you that Ireland had an armed uprising and armed rebellion against an Irish government in recent history.

As with much of what you are saying, this is simply not true.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_hom_wit_fir-crime-gun-violence-homicides-firearms

Why did you only list US events when there are equally mass killings in other parts of the world?
    no there isnt, not by young men with mental health issues
    are you sympathetic to american gun laws??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Disgusted

Sky News had a pyschologist on after the cinema shooting a few months ago and he said that shootings like this happen in clusters, others with psychological problems will see the news of this and crave the attention the shooter got and possibly commit one themselves. He said on average another one will happen within 30 days of a major one such as this, I believe there was one soon after the cinema shooting so his theory seems to hold water unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

Thrill wrote: »
    Father found dead at home.

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
    Connecticut Post reporter tells Sky News 29 people are dead, 20 of them children, after shooting at school in Connecticut

Where is this gonna all end, all these innocent little people & their family's life's ruined just before what should have been a joyous family occasion, by yet another lunatic gunman, my heart goes out to all who are left behind to pick up the pieces, god love them.

Blay wrote: »
    Sky News had a pyschologist on after the cinema shooting a few months ago and he said that shootings like this happen in clusters, others with psychological problems will see the news of this and crave the attention the shooter got and possibly commit one themselves. He said on average another one will happen within 30 days of a major one such as this, I believe there was one soon after the cinema shooting so his theory seems to hold water.

The main issue with this type of crime in the US is how they treat the perpetrators of such crimes. These people are practically turned into celebrities. The news stations give them so much attention, you know every little thing about their lives, even what they ate for breakfast before they went and shot everyone. Meanwhile nobody can even remember the names of any of the victims. I know there's a morbid curiosity about people who would do such terrible things, but it's pretty much glorifying the shooters and probably gives other people who are of a similar unstable disposition validation in their own messed up minds to go and carry out something similar.

The best thing would be to just ignore the shooters. Talk about the victims and their families, and just gloss over the perpetrators and stop giving them the attention they clearly desperately crave. That will never happen though.

• Advertisement

no there isnt, not by young men with mental health issues

Simply not true.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Europe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Africa_and_the_Middle_East
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Asia

Here's the list of school related events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers#School_massacres

are you sympathetic to american gun laws??

Which ones do you think 'caused' this?

The main issue with this type of crime in the US is how they treat the perpetrators of such crimes. These people are practically turned into celebrities. The news stations give them so much attention, you know every little thing about their lives, even what they ate for breakfast before they went and shot everyone. Meanwhile nobody can even remember the names of any of the victims. I know there's a morbid curiosity about people who would do such terrible things, but it's pretty much glorifying the shooters and probably gives other people who are of a similar unstable disposition validation in their own messed up minds to go and carry out something similar.

The best thing would be to just ignore the shooters. Talk about the victims and their families, and just gloss over the perpetrators and stop giving them the attention they clearly desperately crave. That will never happen though.

Yeah that's what he was saying, the airtime that guy James Holmes got after the shooting was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wow crazy stuff, shot his own mother as well.

Rip everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

MadsL wrote: »
    Cars are designed to transport people. Guns are design to kill people.
    210,000 gun dealers in the USA.

I suggest you read more about the rationale that the gun lobby uses to justify indiscriminate access to weapons.
    No it didn't.
    What a joke. Gun free zones in the US.... yeah right.

Yeah that's what he was saying, the airtime that guy James Holmes got after the shooting was ridiculous.

I happened to be in the US when that happened and it was insanely sensationalist, everything surrounding that guy. They even televised him being charged in court. Crazy stuff.

Schools and universities are among those defined as 'gun free zones' in the US, whether you believe it or not they do exist.

The irony is the psychologist on NBC saying exactly that, as they roll on with the non-stop coverage. I'm switching off now and ask that other posters consider a sense of perspective. There are approximately twenty such incidents in the US each year (guy shot himself here, just down the street, in a public building) - they are not increasing in frequency over that last twenty years or so.

I naturally express my sympathies, and it is particular awful that these were basic babies who were the victims.

Biut to those that seem to think this is an exclusively American phenomenon I suggest stopping and doing some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Loads of US news networks are interviewing people who are describing the events as 'historic' ones. I'm no expert but doesn't that sort of sensationalise and even glamorise things? What a bunch of complete idiots they are...

CBS reporting guns were purchased LEGALLY and belonged to the shooter, Ryan Lanza.

Brother of shooter Ryan Lanza in custody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

New York City has one the highest rates of homicide in the world, and yet the ownership of guns is prohibited there. Amazing, isn't it?

Advertisement