Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

BattleCorp wrote: »

Issuing a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research gun violence = What has the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention got to do with gun violence?????

Just my two cents.

The centre for disease control and prevention also researches illness, id imagine that what they intend to do is conduct more research on mental illness and links with gun violence, this would definitely be a positive thing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

It was an armed robbery from the moment the first settlers arrived and continues to this day.

Damn Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Rasheed wrote: »
    It's funny. When the Sandy Hook atrocity happened, I did that knee jerk reaction of 'Oh the fecking Yanks and their stupid gun laws'.

Yet, with the rising number of burglaries here, I'm all for people having the right to protect themselves. Strange how when it might affect you or your, that your opinion changes.

People already have the right to protect themselves and their property. If you gave 'self-protection' as a reason for wanting to own a gun here, you'd never be granted a license.

There are far more burglaries per-capita in the US despite the more relaxed gun controls, and home intruders are more likely to be armed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Just some food for thought to this conversation.....

Why is it that the progressive liberals who steal guns, and then go and kill movie-goers and children in school, have never been a conservative NRA member?

· Ft Hood- Registered Democrat

· Columbine- Too young to vote- both families were Registered Democrats and progressive liberals

· VaTech- Wrote hate mail to Pres Bush and to his staff -- Registered Democrat

· Colorado Theater- Registered Democrat, staff worker on the Obama campaign, occupy wall street participant, progressive liberal

· Conn School Shooter- Registered Democrat, hated Christians

ALL of these shooters were progressive liberal Democrats
    Interesting...isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

ALL of these shooters were progressive liberal Democrats
    Interesting...isn't it?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

People already have the right to protect themselves and their property. If you gave 'self-protection' as a reason for wanting to own a gun here, you'd never be granted a license.

There are far more burglaries per-capita in the US despite the more relaxed gun controls, and home intruders are more likely to be armed themselves.

Than where? Spain has a higher robbery rate.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rob-crime-robberies

There were 27695 Burglaries in Ireland in 2011 CSO That would put Ireland at #28 in the list of US States sorted by burglaries. So roughly at the same average rate as the US.
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_bur-crime-burglary

To be more accurate: Ireland is 27695 by 4,581,269 population = 604 per 100,000. The national US rate is 716.3, not significantly higher and on a downward trend, unike Ireland where burglaries are increasing.

@ MadsL

Pure curiosity here. What are the robbers in Ireland using to rob ppl? From what I have read it's hard as heck to get a gun there.

Just saw on TV a robber here in the states at a quickie mart using a gun but the thing that made me roflmbo was that he had a bucket on his head! Yup, a big bucket too LOLOLOL. Thank goodness nobody got hurt, and nope, can't ID the person, just a body with a gun and a bucket for a head.

Robberies are getting worse with the recession. Congress is getting richer, the middle class is getting taxed to death for things we do not want or need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

latenia wrote: »
    I firmly believe that mass shootings are just another manifestation of the casual attitude to murder and violence together with the over-zealous execution of prisoners (and the crimes committed by those who are guilty), an out of control military, police brutality, gang violence, even television shows (primetime decapitation and mutilation fine; saying fúck or showing t1ts a no-no.)

Well duh. I think everyones pretty much agreed on that.

The problem is what to do about it. How to fix it.

:cool:

@ MadsL

Pure curiosity here. What are the robbers in Ireland using to rob ppl? From what I have read it's hard as heck to get a gun there.

It is if you want it legally. Not so hard for an illegal one. Although I heard a box of shady 9mm ammo runs about €500.
    Just saw on TV a robber here in the states at a quickie mart using a gun but the thing that made me roflmbo was that he had a bucket on his head! Yup, a big bucket too LOLOLOL. Thank goodness nobody got hurt, and nope, can't ID the person, just a body with a gun and a bucket for a head.
    Oppah Ned Kelly style!
    Robberies are getting worse with the recession. Congress is getting richer, the middle class is getting taxed to death for things we do not want or need.
    Wait on the stats...it's probably media hype.

A lot is media hype, however looking at my paychecks this year is no media hype. I'm middle class ~ poor and they are taking more out. (They probably NEED my money for their next holiday)

Speaking of the media I wish the would do as much reporting of the recent robbery attempts that were stopped because of an armed citizen. One that stands out happened a few days ago and it could have gotten very ugly. It was in Atlanta, GA and the woman with her two 7yo daughters were hiding in the attack crawl space after the man broke in. She had her husbands gun, the bad man opened the door where she was and she unloaded on him. He isn't dead, but I don't think he will do it again, she messed him up good. If she did not have that gun, the police would have been doing a rape/murder report.

• Advertisement

I read that case, what is remarkable about it is that the husband was on the line the whole time with her and 9/11. He coached her right through it, got her to remember what she learnt on the range and probably saved his wife and kids from being on the phone with this wife.

What a shattering experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

@ MadsL

Difficult rules and regulations only make it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain firearms legally.

Criminals don't seem to mind too much about rules and regulations.

Criminals aren't using legally held guns to commit crimes, it's illegal guns smuggled into the country that are used.

All the laws in the world banning guns don't make a damn bit of difference to a criminal.

Difficult rules and regulations only make it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain firearms legally.

Criminals don't seem to mind too much about rules and regulations.

Criminals aren't using legally held guns to commit crimes, it's illegal guns smuggled into the country that are used.

All the laws in the world banning guns don't make a damn bit of difference to a criminal.

EXACTLY! What stops bad ppl with guns are good ppl with guns. And this brings us back to the second amendment we are having to keep fighting for.

I hate to wish my life away, but I sure will be glad when this joker we got that is acting as president's 4 years is over.

I hate to wish my life away, but I sure will be glad when this joker we got that is acting as president's 4 years is over.

It was Bush who introduced the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, and Obama's only gun control act so far has been to extend the permission to carry handguns into National Parks - "As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in National Parks.

I didn't like Bush either, however he was not putting in all these rules as fast as bho is doing and I didn't think Bush had this "king" complex bho has. I think (and this is just my opinion) that bho has issues that are much more than any of the other president we have had has. This isn't a skin color thing but it has something do to with the way he was raised is what I'm thinking. The movie 2016 made a lot of sense to me. Honestly since Reagan I haven't cared for any of them. And for the record, I'm not R or D, but Independent.

I didn't like Bush either, however he was not putting in all these rules as fast as bho is doing and I didn't think Bush had this "king" complex bho has. I think (and this is just my opinion) that bho has issues that are much more than any of the other president we have had has. This isn't a skin color thing but it has something do to with the way he was raised is what I'm thinking. The movie 2016 made a lot of sense to me. Honestly since Reagan I haven't cared for any of them. And for the record, I'm not R or D, but Independent.

Curious then if you're independent why you get your news from Fox, which is a notoriously right wing biased "news" outlet?

The movie 2016 made a lot of sense to me.

Well written propaganda has a way of doing that.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/2016-obama-america-fact-check_n_1835710.html

I didn't like Bush either, however he was not putting in all these rules as fast as bho is doing and I didn't think Bush had this "king" complex bho has.

Oh really? Bush didnt have a "king" complex huh? Not like "bho" does?

Please tell us more about that certain "something" in his upbringing that led you to that conclusion.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

EXACTLY! What stops bad ppl with guns are good ppl with guns. And this brings us back to the second amendment we are having to keep fighting for.

The US was brought down by four box cutters in a couple of planes. Remember that famous day?

You think your gun in one of those towers would have saved you?

The gun is not the cause, and therefore also not the solution.

The 2nd ammendment is about a lot more than personal militia, its about the rampant wildlife in the US, its about the fact that it was written during a time when America was fairly lawless and you had to depend on yourself [much like rural areas today still] so I don't particularly support this reactionary -and yes TOO FAST FOR MY LIKING - legislation but the people supporting weapons as the solution are as misguided as the ones blaming them as the cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a couple of guns on the aircrafts could have saved a lot of people

• Advertisement

a couple of guns on the aircrafts could have saved a lot of people

So could a bolted shut door to the cockpit.

Would you really fly knowing planes allowed armed passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

The US was brought down by four box cutters in a couple of planes. Remember that famous day?

That was a low blow.

Anyway, personally I like Obamas points (not entirely sure how many he can shove through on the presidential). They don't just hit the act(shooting) but what caused the act (mental illness), and increases counseling in schools (which, lets be honest, I can't see anybody disagreeing with). Some would see investigating violence in video games as a bad idea, but I don't see a problem with having some proper investigation into it.

So could a bolted shut door to the cockpit.

Would you really fly knowing planes allowed armed passengers?

They do. They are called Air Marshalls. :confused:

MadsL wrote: »
    They do. They are called Air Marshalls. :confused:

Sorry I meant so say civilians, not passengers.

Sorry I meant so say civilians, not passengers.

Well, Air Marshalls don't sit on the wing, my dear. ;)

MadsL wrote: »
    Well, Air Marshalls don't sit on the wing, my dear. ;)

I am aware of that but it is a slight distraction from the point I was making - is that guns offer a false sense of security to civilians and no they cannot protect you against "bad people."

With all the military power the US has and look what happened with so little weapons, box cutters, and yet people still hold on the myth of the gun both as scapegoat and salvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

EXACTLY! What stops bad ppl with guns are good ppl with guns.

Yup, that's really worked well, hasn't it?

I am aware of that but it is a slight distraction from the point I was making - is that guns offer a false sense of security to civilians and no they cannot protect you against "bad people."

Despite numerous occasions where they have in fact protected people from "bad people.". I see, would you also argue "forget doctors because we are all going to die" and refuse medical treatment or "seatbelts won't save you in a 80mph crash" as a reason for not wearing a seatbelt.
    With all the military power the US has and look what happened with so little weapons, box cutters, and yet people still hold on the myth of the gun both as scapegoat and salvation.

If you want to go down that route - Look what happened when a few citizens took on the bad guys unarmed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_93

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not that I personally want a piece of this argument (because I think you're off the deep end here), but if you can't spot the logical flaw in that argument that makes it an argument against your position (ie. that there were no guns on the planes because of gun control laws), then perhaps you need to just think about this in depth for a little longer?

• Advertisement

Yup, that's really worked well, hasn't it?

I'd say there have been mixed results. There have been occasions where it has worked very well.

What incidents are you thinking of where it hasn't worked well?

Advertisement