Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

What is it going to take for the laws to change? Those poor victims and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Piliger wrote: »
    Cars are designed to transport people. Guns are design to kill people.
    Guns are designed to kill. Kill what depends on where you point them.
    210,000 gun dealers in the USA.
    Source? I think your stats are from 2004.
    http://www.vpc.org/press/0708ffl.htm
    I suggest you read more about the rationale that the gun lobby uses to justify indiscriminate access to weapons.
    No state has "indiscriminate access" - Arizona, the last to implement carry permits now requires them.
    A background check is required in all states.
    No it didn't.
    The Civil War??? Did they use hurls?
    What a joke. Gun free zones in the US.... yeah right.

You don't know much about the US do you? Yes, gun free. Where it is a felony for a serving soldier to carry his legally held weapon but a shooter walks freely past the no gun signs.

The main issue with this type of crime in the US is how they treat the perpetrators of such crimes. These people are practically turned into celebrities. The news stations give them so much attention, you know every little thing about their lives, even what they ate for breakfast before they went and shot everyone. Meanwhile nobody can even remember the names of any of the victims. I know there's a morbid curiosity about people who would do such terrible things, but it's pretty much glorifying the shooters and probably gives other people who are of a similar unstable disposition validation in their own messed up minds to go and carry out something similar.

The best thing would be to just ignore the shooters. Talk about the victims and their families, and just gloss over the perpetrators and stop giving them the attention they clearly desperately crave. That will never happen though.
    Loads of US news networks are interviewing people who are describing the events as 'historic' ones. I'm no expert but doesn't that sort of sensationalise and even glamorise things? What a bunch of complete idiots they are...

Pretty much a cliche at this point but still doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Cars are designed to transport people. Guns are design to kill people.

Guns are also designed for hunting and are also designed to protect people from those that would do them harm. It is far more common for the latter to happen than for people to be killed by a gun.
    What a joke. Gun free zones in the US.... yeah right.

There are a huge number of gun free zones in America. All of the schools in Connecticut being an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Girlfriend and friend of Connecticut shooting suspect Ryan Lanza are missing in New Jersey.

CNN now reporting suspect's brother also found dead in Hoboken

WNBC: Hoboken Police: Two roommates of Ryan were taken into custody for questioning.

Pretty much a cliche at this point but still doesn't happen.

...but, but...this only happens in fcked up 'Merica. What's this Germany shit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

MadsL wrote: »
    Simply not true.
    Here's the list of school related events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers#School_massacres

Which ones do you think 'caused' this?

If you look at that list of school massacres and order by the number of killings, you can quite clearly see that the US dominates the upper end and that most of the Chinese incidents involve no fatalities. This is also true of workplace killings.

I can't believe there is even an argument over whether or not it's desirable to limit access to guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Overheal wrote: »
    New York City has one the highest rates of homicide in the world, and yet the ownership of guns is prohibited there. Amazing, isn't it?

Yes and I suppose you are going to tell me that its impossible to drive from one state to another...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Forget all the talk of guns... how many people have guns in the states and don't go shooting up the place?

This situation, just like the guy in Colorado is a mental health issue. You don't kill your father, drive miles away, kill your mother and a bunch of children unless you have serious mental issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If you say so. When was the last time you visited America?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes and I suppose you are going to tell me that its impossible to drive from one state to another...

I do believe you need to have a state issued identification in the state I currently reside in, which has the most ridiculous gun laws in the country. Anywho, Although from a personal perspective I would prefer stricter gun laws, I also agree that the guns are not the problem. There's other underlying issues in the US. It's a pressure cooker over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Overheal wrote: »
    New York City has one the highest rates of homicide in the world, and yet the ownership of guns is prohibited there. Amazing, isn't it?

"States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun-related violence."

"More guns tend to mean more homicide."

“Since 1982, there have been at least 61 mass murders carried out with firearms across the country, with the killings unfolding in 30 states from Massachusetts to Hawaii,” And in most cases, the killers had obtained their weapons legally

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2012/12/mass-shooting-legally.jpg

Sacksian wrote: »
    I can't believe there is even an argument over whether or not it's desirable to limit access to guns.

That's because you are probably completely ignorant of any of the facts on the issue.

I just read that some kids were found hiding in closets a few minute ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Perpetrator's brother has been found dead too

• Registered Users Posts: 86,222 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

18 kids death :( RIP

If you look at that list of school massacres and order by the number of killings, you can quite clearly see that the US dominates the upper end and that most of the Chinese incidents involve no fatalities. This is also true of workplace killings. I can't believe there is even an argument over whether or not it's desirable to limit access to guns.

Germany and the UK get quite a showing. They both have strict gun control, the UK has some of the strictest gun laws in the world.

You could also order that list by date and find that of the 14 since 2009, only two took place in the US and that half of those events took place in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Horrible. RIP to all the poor kids

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Watching CNN, just read that a second person is being questioned? I'm not sure if anything can be 100% reliable right now, so many facts are being changed/are unclear.
    Read a tweet somewhere that the media released the wrong photographs?

• Advertisement

Perpetrator's brother has been found dead too

From what I've read it looks like he shot the father and brother at home then he went to the school and shot the mother, the kids and other adults.

His girlfriend and his friend are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Just confirmed by the police that 20 children were killed.

"States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun-related violence."

Chicago has recently cracked down on legal gun ownership and has the most stringent gun controls in the US.

It's homicide rate has rocketed 31% this year http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/chicago-homicide-record-n_n_1817687.html

"More guns tend to mean more homicide."

“Since 1982, there have been at least 61 mass murders carried out with firearms across the country, with the killings unfolding in 30 states from Massachusetts to Hawaii,” And in most cases, the killers had obtained their weapons legally

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2012/12/mass-shooting-legally.jpg

From here:
    Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

wow.. 20 kids 6 adults and the shooter, and there are other crime scenes.

rorrissey wrote: »
    Watching CNN, just read that a second person is being questioned? I'm not sure if anything can be 100% reliable right now, so many facts are being changed/are unclear.
    Read a tweet somewhere that the media released the wrong photographs?

Two roommates of the killer are in custody for questioning.

Photographs were taken from someone on Facebook with the same name, but it wasn't him. The real owner posted to say they had the wrong person .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

MadsL wrote: »
    ...but, but...this only happens in fcked up 'Merica. What's this Germany shit!!

Nobody's denying that stuff like this doesn't happen elsewhere, but acting like there isn't a big problem with this in the US is a bit disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

If you look at that list of school massacres and order by the number of killings, you can quite clearly see that the US dominates the upper end and that most of the Chinese incidents involve no fatalities. This is also true of workplace killings.

Only by the gun nuts who spend their evenings trawling up some statistics they can twist and distort to try to win the un-winnable argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Policeman being interviewed atm is too polite to walk away from the media.

• Advertisement

Only by the gun nuts who spend their evenings trawling up some statistics they can twist and distort to try to win the un-winnable argument.

Well maybe the gun-control supporters would bring up statistics to back up their positions as well if they had any. But they don't because there aren't any. All they can do is name call and demagogue.

Advertisement