Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Thrill wrote: »
    Two roommates of the killer are in custody for questioning.

Photographs were taken from someone on Facebook with the same name, but it wasn't him. The real owner posted to say they had the wrong person .

So the photos of the guy with brown hair they released wasn't him? There are no official photos yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Piliger wrote: »
    Only by the gun nuts who spend their evenings trawling up some statistics they can twist and distort to try to win the un-winnable argument.
    What argument would that be. The "snap your fingers" and *poof* all guns are gone argument.

I'm glad you are so adapt at putting genies back in bottles. As someone who lives in a state that borders a country where drug wars have killed almost 100,000 people I don't share your confidence.

Incidentally, even retired police are not allowed weapons in Mexico. Seems to be working well that gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Most Americans think that they are living in a Rambo movie never mind watching one.

I would'nt let them have plastic knives never mind guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

MadsL wrote: »
    What argument would that be. The "snap your fingers" and *poof* all guns are gone argument.

I'm glad you are so adapt at putting genies back in bottles. As someone who lives in a state that borders a country where drug wars have killed almost 100,000 people I don't share your confidence.

Incidentally, even retired police are not allowed weapons in Mexico. Seems to be working well that gun control.

It's hardly even a gun problem. It's a people problem. Problems within American society.

• Advertisement

I wish people would avoid the scummier of the media on this. I wanted to check something I heard and all I could find was photos of crying kids. There's a reason the ****ers report the way they do.

darced wrote: »

Dare I mention I lived in Birmingham in the 70s? Careful with that high horse about killing innocents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

How can one regulate insanity? This crime is senselessly insane. I am sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

ebbsy wrote: »
    Most Americans think that they are living in a Rambo movie never mind watching one.

I would'nt let them have plastic knives never mind guns.

And you have met over 150 million Americans to come to that conclusion?

It's hardly even a gun problem. It's a people problem. Problems within American society.

Nobody gets killed in other societies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

darced wrote: »

It's technically not a new low for the world but ok. Again, when was the last time you visited America?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

My sister lives near there but thankfully her children go to a different school. It's scary to have it so close to home so to speak. This unstable person has just ripped the sole out of so many people. The family's of those he killed and those who witnessed it. Yes I'm all for changing the gun laws but it probably won't make much difference. Most people have a licensed gun in their homes. Its just the way it is just like most farmers have a shotgun here.
    They need to look at mental health. This guy was obviously insane to be able to even think about doing something like this and had no one to talk to or that could help him.... Stop him. Can't stop thinking about how scared those little kids were. Breaks my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Nobody gets killed in other societies?

I didn't say that. However, public mass shootings are a more common occurrence in the US than anywhere else. Acting like there are no problems is just burying your head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

rorrissey wrote: »
    So the photos of the guy with brown hair they released wasn't him? There are no official photos yet?

I read they took a photo of a person of the same reported name as the killer on Facebook but after the owner of the account posted they had the wrong person they (the news stations) took the photo down.

Whether the photo being shown now is a picture of the killer or the one taken from Facebook I don't know as I have seen no pictures myself.

Incidentally, I've read that the Facebook page has since been taken down/deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Well maybe the gun-control supporters would bring up statistics to back up their positions as well if they had any. But they don't because there aren't any. All they can do is name call and demagogue.
    No statistics!? Are you freaking kidding me!? http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

There is a multitude of evidence out there.

I love how the pro-gun lobby bring up shootings in other countries to defend their position but than don't delve into the statistics at all. 80 people die in a Norway shooting and yet statistically you are still far less likely to die in a shooting in Norway than any US state of comparative size. The same is true of Germany, Scotland, wherever you want to pick.

And linking to some stabbings in schools in China is not a defense, imagine how many would have died if those perpetrators had access to firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have just seen Obama's press conference on it, and for me if he was to make steps to take weapons out of the hands of maniacs then it would be the greatest thing a US president will have done in recent times.

For me, it is not right that nearly anybody can go out and buy automatic weapons. That is not a normal society imho.

We see the crocodile tears everytime a shooting incident like this occurs, but this time its more shocking considering a lunatic dressed in black, wearing a bullet proof vest and carrying 4 weapons murdered innocent children between 5yr and 10yrs old. They hurt no-one and had their lives ahead of them.

I say have an gun amnesty now, get all the guns rounded up and let people reapply for them with stricter controls. Take the right to bear arms out of the constitution. Its a nonsense. Other countries can do without it, make USA do without it.

May they all RIP.

Federal law enforcement officials are trying to figure out which brother was the shooter & which arrested in NJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They now say that the shooter was carrying his older brothers ID

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

RuthieRose wrote: »
    My sister lives near there but thankfully her children go to a different school. It's scary to have it so close to home so to speak. This unstable person has just ripped the sole out of so many people. The family's of those he killed and those who witnessed it. Yes I'm all for changing the gun laws but it probably won't make much difference. Most people have a licensed gun in their homes. Its just the way it is just like most farmers have a shotgun here.
    They need to look at mental health. This guy was obviously insane to be able to even think about doing something like this and had no one to talk to or that could help him.... Stop him. Can't stop thinking about how scared those little kids were. Breaks my heart.

I agree that this man must be mentally deranged, to kill innocent children, but how can you make someone seek help? How can you know what evil thoughts are lurking in someone elses mind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

its a complete tragedy and should have nevered happened but its 1.01 that it will happen again

fyi 10000s of kids or adults die in africa weekly from aids and what have you and nothing hardly ever said.This guy goes on a rampage and the www goes into meltdown

I dont get it

and not for 1 sec am i saying this isnt a tragedy or should be diminished

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The problem in this case is the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. I don't know how difficult it is in America to repeal this, or get the sufficient support to do so. It's clear that it was brought in quite early in the history of the US - and was mainly to prevent against tyranny. The 2nd Amendment as it is currently understood would never consider that as an option. Most interpretations of the right to "keep and bear arms" seem to conclude that it is only in a state sponsored militia that one should be able to use them. Reading the article on Wikipedia is quite interesting.

Law officials: School shooting suspect is 20-year-old son of teacher; older brother questioned

They now say that the shooter was carrying his older brothers ID

Yeah, they now think the younger brother, aged 20, was the shooter.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I say have an gun amnesty now, get all the guns rounded up and let people reapply for them with stricter controls. Take the right to bear arms out of the constitution. Its a nonsense. Other countries can do without it, make USA do without it.

Or leave it in the constitution but apply it in it's literal sense. Militia...not every jackass on every street corner. Militia's tend to be trained and have a cause.

I didn't say that. However, public mass shootings are a more common occurrence in the US than anywhere else. Acting like there are no problems is just burying your head in the sand.

And I have posted numerous links in this thread to show you that in fact rampage killings are more common in Asia than the US.

Perhaps you should watch less media and do more reading?

I never said there were no problems, what I am reacting to is the fact that people here always react to these events like the only ever happen in the US. Demonstrably they don't, yet we don't have "Typical Norway" or "Sick Germany" comments when they do.

America has over 300 million people, and roughly 20 incidents a year with public shootings not linked to crime.

Meanwhile Mexico has lost almost 100,000 people, the population of Limerick, to drug wars. Can we get a sense of perspective here?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Or leave it in the constitution but apply it in it's literal sense. Militia...not every jackass on every street corner. Militia's tend to be trained and have a cause.

Do you know what a Militia is?

CBS News reporting Adam Lanza is CT school shooting suspect;
    Ryan Lanza, his older brother, being questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Wompa1 wrote: »

The Supreme Court also allows it for defending ones home and for "traditionally lawful purposes" according to District of Columbia v Heller (2010).

I'm fairly sure in Connecticut that it is not a right to carry a concealed firearm as it is in some other states.

I think that it should be done away with but it will be a very difficult process.

The Supreme Court have also interpreted "militia" as a State-run militia. Hardly what it meant in the beginning, but that's how it stands now legally.

Do you know what a Militia is?

Yes and it's not necessarily everybody and their dog. I personally think that section of the constitution was included to ensure the people could be armed in case of an invasion again. They had just won their independence and put measures in place to protect themselves and the country. I would think today, the world is past that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

And you have met over 150 million Americans to come to that conclusion?
    150 Million is half the population. I think he would need at least three-fourths to make it to "most".

Advertisement