Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Piliger wrote: »
    The point that they never admit to is this - THEY DON"T CARE. They don't care about those being slaughtered. They don't care about the kids in Columbine. They don't care about the kids in this slaughter. They don't care about their families.

They only care about their guns. They only care about their glorious guns. They only care about themselves.

Ah I see you know about the feelings of every gun owner in the US. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Interesting article, bet any money this applies in this case also.

http://www.cchrint.org/2012/07/20/the-aurora-colorado-tragedy-another-senseless-shooting-another-psychotropic-drug/

Bigger issue than gun ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

twinytwo wrote: »
    if these assholes want to die so badly why not just eat a bullet or jump off a bridge or something..going in shooting a place up, killing kids.. dosent make you tough or prove some sort of agenda... your just a coward, infact your even less than a coward... its hard to find a word so instead ill use a quote from con air

If they were thinking in any way rationally, they probably wouldn't be shooting up schools in the first place.

Yes. A sick gun-obsessed, violence-obsessed society.

Yes, you'd never find Irish writers writing about guns and violence. *cough*
    Or Irish people going to watch films about say, seven or so psychopaths.

Please. Irish audience lap up films like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Neighbors described the younger man to ABC as “odd” and displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

ABC NEWS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

MadsL wrote: »
    Ah I see you know about the feelings of every gun owner in the US. Well done.

Yes I do. They don't give a sh1t about anyone else except themselves, especially these little kids and their families. Crocodile hypocritical tears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This sickness happens in China as well. What the hell causes it? Who knows?

Very sad :(

Guns? Bullying? What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gb40

AMERICA NUMBER 1.

gb40 wrote: »
    AMERICA NUMBER 1.

**** off, feel good , do you?

Yes I do. They don't give a sh1t about anyone else except themselves, especially these little kids and their families. Crocodile hypocritical tears.

I'll be sure and tell my elderly neighbours who keep a .380 on their nightstands to protect themselves what cruel heartless people they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

philologos wrote: »
    The Supreme Court also allows it for defending ones home and for "traditionally lawful purposes" according to District of Columbia v Heller (2010).

I'm fairly sure in Connecticut that it is not a right to carry a concealed firearm as it is in some other states.

I think that it should be done away with but it will be a very difficult process.

The Supreme Court have also interpreted "militia" as a State-run militia. Hardly what it meant in the beginning, but that's how it stands now legally.

The US Supreme Court ruled that all citizens have the right to use a firearm for self defense, based upon what they knew of the original legislators:

"It is clear that the framers and ratifiers of the 14th Amendment counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty," wrote Justice Samuel Alito in his majority opinion. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy and Clarence Thomas joined all or part of the opinion.

This nullifies the old argument of what a 'militia' is, as it is now moot, and has been for some time. In order to reverse this ruling, it would take congress, the house and the senate to create a new Amendment prohibiting the 2nd, or parts thereof. This requires cooperation from both parties to pass, and then the cooperation of most of the states. It is an unlikely event, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

kincsem wrote: »
    Are you saying that there would be many more mass killings but these have been prevented by citizens with handguns stepping in to kill the gunman before he caused multiple killings?

When did I ever state that? I stated that maybe less people would have been killed if a law abiding citizen had a gun in that case.
    You are throwing out many "statistics". Why not put up the base numbers, and name the European countries and states. I'd like to see the full picture, not just what the gun lobby have cherry picked.

I'm linking to articles that discuss studies. Many of which are behind paywalls and I cannot access those studies in full. I have however linked to the full second edition of the book More Guns, Less Crime earlier in this thread. I'm fairly sure that book contains all the base numbers you need. I'm also sure that the book deals with many of his critics as well.
    The point that they never admit to is this - THEY DON"T CARE. They don't care about those being slaughtered. They don't care about the kids in Columbine. They don't care about the kids in this slaughter. They don't care about their families.

They only care about their guns. They only care about their glorious guns. They only care about themselves.

And if they never admit to it, then how do you know they don't care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is a historical list of countries by firearm-related
    death-rate per 100,000 population in one year

Country Rate/100k European
    El Salvador 50.36
    Jamaica 47.44
    Honduras 46.70
    Guatemala 38.52
    Swaziland 37.16
    Colombia 28.11
    Brazil 19.01
    Panama 12.92
    Mexico 11.14
    Philippines 9.46
    South Africa 9.41
    United States 9.00
    Montenegro 8.55
    Paraguay 7.35
    Nicaragua 7.14
    Switzerland 6.40 Euro
    Argentina 5.65
    Canada 4.78
    Zimbabwe 4.75
    Serbia 3.90 Euro
    Finland 3.64 Euro
    Costa Rica 3.32
    Uruguay 3.24
    Croatia 3.01
    Barbados 3.00
    France 3.00 Euro
    Australia 2.94
    Austria 2.94 Euro
    New Zealand 2.66
    Estonia 2.54 Euro
    Slovenia 2.44 Euro
    Belgium 2.43 Euro
    Malta 2.16 Euro
    Peru 1.87
    Israel 1.86
    Republic of Macedonia 1.85 Euro
    Luxembourg 1.81 Euro
    Norway 1.78 Euro
    Portugal 1.77 Euro
    Czech Republic 1.76 Euro
    Slovakia 1.75 Euro
    Lithuania 1.61 Euro
    Georgia 1.54 Euro
    Greece 1.50 Euro
    Sweden 1.47 Euro
    Denmark 1.45 Euro
    Latvia 1.43 Euro
    Bulgaria 1.35 Euro
    Italy 1.28 Euro
    Kuwait 1.25
    Iceland 1.25 Euro
    Germany 1.10 Euro
    Moldova 1.04 Euro
    Ireland 1.03 Euro
    Kyrgyzstan 1.01
    India 0.93
    Hungary 0.85 Euro
    Cyprus 0.83 Euro
    Uzbekistan 0.68
    Spain 0.63 Euro
    Netherlands 0.46 Euro
    Taiwan 0.42
    Belarus 0.38 Euro
    Ukraine 0.35 Euro
    United Kingdom 0.22 Euro
    Poland 0.26 Euro
    Singapore 0.24
    Romania 0.20 Euro
    Hong Kong 0.19
    Mauritius 0.19
    Qatar 0.18
    South Korea 0.13
    Japan 0.07
    Azerbaijan 0.07
    Chile 0.06

I see Switzerland and Finland have high death rates.
    In Finland there are 32 privately owned firearms per 100 civilians. By the end of 2006 there were more than 1.6 million licensed firearms.
    In Switzerland the total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.

My guess is more guns result in more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gb40

old hippy wrote: »
    **** off, feel good , do you?
    Took your time old hippy!

More Guns, Less Crime? Whoever wrote that was stretching the elastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

People (mainly Americans themselves) that are completely against the banning (or stricter laws) on guns, I can't understand at all. We had the Colorado shooting not too long ago, and now this. When is it going to get into their minds that a ban on guns WOULD help - it would prevent death, in this case, of innocent children. Today's event of the shootings in CN was completely preventable, that's the horrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Imagine being the policemen who had to walk into that classroom and seeing 18 kids dead and blood everywhere.

I know it's part of the job but ****ing hell.

Still in shock reading about it.

My guess is more guns result in more deaths.

You would really need to exclude accidents and suicides to have a meaningful picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Overheal wrote: »
    New York City has one the highest rates of homicide in the world, and yet the ownership of guns is prohibited there. Amazing, isn't it?

I don't think you'll find that's true. NYC is now among the safest cities in the US. It has seen homicide rates drop consistently over the last 10 years plus. In a league table of the 10 largest cities in the US, New York comes in 8th place for homicide, and 7th for violent crime (based on 2010 stats - a year where there was actually a slight rise in homicide in NYC)

http://www.globalnews.ca/crime+rates+in+the+largest+us+cities+how+does+toronto+compare/6442681613/story.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cscity.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    You would really need to exclude accidents and suicides to have a meaningful picture.
    No. More guns equal more deaths. I don't care if you want to sort out the deaths into neat categories. More guns, more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I feel sick....because I was not totally shocked when I heard this story....it this what the world has come too? I doubt the founding fathers envisioned young men with semi-automatic weapons opening fire in schools, cinemas, shopping malls when the second amendment was drawn up.

Life is cruel and evil is present in this world :( RIP kids and teacher.

Also prayers are with the 22 children who were stabbed today in China. I predict a similar story will sadly come to pass before another 12 months passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

long thread and probably been mentioned, but the scramble to get the news out so quickly has to be looked at. For hours the "shooter" was identified incorrectly. The older brother was on a bus, went on his facebook page to deny being the shooter. Effectively he learned of his mother and brothers death over facebook, basically because news outlets were eager to get the scoop.

I know it's very much a cultural thing to get the news out quickly and widely but have the press learned nothing over the past few years?

darced wrote: »

http://www.herald.ie/news/how-scourge-of-gun-crime-started-and-spread-like-a-cancer-2400898.html

Whatever you say. A shooting a week though, eh?
    Irish gangs' love affair with the gun has continued -- there are about five times more gun killings in Ireland than in England, Scotland and Wales, according to Dr Liz Campbell, University of Aberdeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Are you saying that there would be many more mass killings but these have been prevented by citizens with handguns stepping in to kill the gunman before he caused multiple killings?

You are throwing out many "statistics". Why not put up the base numbers, and name the European countries and states. I'd like to see the full picture, not just what the gun lobby have cherry picked.

That's something that would be interesting to see. With the killings in England, Belgium, Norway and France over the last few years up against the US numbers.

You mean just multiple killings?

gb40 wrote: »
    Took your time old hippy!

Feel good, do you?

Explain your comment, why don't you? We're all waiting... Mr re reg.

Flier wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find that's true. NYC is now among the safest cities in the US. It has seen homicide rates drop consistently over the last 10 years plus. In a league table of the 10 largest cities in the US, New York comes in 8th place for homicide, and 7th for violent crime (based on 2010 stats - a year where there was actually a slight rise in homicide in NYC)

http://www.globalnews.ca/crime+rates+in+the+largest+us+cities+how+does+toronto+compare/6442681613/story.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cscity.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats

If you are claiming that is due to gun control (I assume you are not though) then why is that not true for Chicago where the homicide rate has jumped by a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

Is there? Could you post 13 links to the mass killings for the last 3 months?

Or did you exaggerate a tiny tiny bit much?

My own faults? What would they be seeing as we are getting personal??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

has there been a high profile mass-killing by a female? Always seems to be relatively young white men carrying these atrocities out.

Advertisement