Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Bin Co for household bins collection?

Options
  • 14-12-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

I have seen an on-line advertisment for City Bin Co offering an alternative to Greyhound for household bin collection in Dublin.

Can anyone comment of this company and its services. Are they any good? Do they cover all psrt of Dublin City Council area?
    I would love to drop Greyhound which was foisted on us last year by the incompetents at Dublin City Council but do not know whether to trust City Bin Co to do the job.
    Any advise or comments would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Signed up with them this week. First collection was today. Everything went smoothly. Happy customer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm a new, and happy, City Bin customer also.

My road wasn't on their system so I called them, and they put it in the system and called me back the next day. Paid over the phone, got bins in a few days, first collection was today. So glad to be shot of Greyhound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

quaalude wrote: »
    I'm a new, and happy, City Bin customer also.

My road wasn't on their system so I called them, and they put it in the system and called me back the next day. Paid over the phone, got bins in a few days, first collection was today. So glad to be shot of Greyhound.

were are you?

they do a collection 2 roads from me and wont add me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Signed up online Wednesday night, came home today 6 pm, 3 red bins in the drive.

First 5000 costumers my arse, the deal has been snapped up by 10 times that many.

By the way, the brown bin is a proper big bin not like the Greyhound 1/2 sized ones that in the summer are no use if you have a decent sized garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/bin-trucks-destroyed-in-fire-attack-3327059.html

This morning's Sunday Independent reports an arson attack which destroyed six of City Bins vehicles. As reported, this seems to have been a deliberate attack targeting this company in particular.

Now who would want to do a thing like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No speculation re: the arson, this will result in bans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

were are you?

they do a collection 2 roads from me and wont add me.

I'm very close to Lansdowne Rd stadium in Dublin 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

After receiving the first letter from greyhound almost a year ago I decided that we weren't going to be bullied into using they're service. So for the past year almost we have been disposing of our waste by other (legal) means and after contacting every other provider it was very clear that there is a racket.

The sheer wording of the greyhound introductory letter represented something that written by a child with a 'chip on his shoulder'.... compared to the fresh and welcoming look of the city bin website and over-helpful customer service (not to mention realistic pricing) only a fool would stick with any of the existing service providers. I think we will be seeing a rapid growth of the City Bin Co and massive public support

given the recent attacks on Panda as well I don't get he impression that this incident was related to anything other than waste collection.....I wonder which companies haven't been hit by arson????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was thinking, if citybin really do take over from greyhound as the main rubbish collector whats to stop greyhound upping sticks and legging it leaving DCC with the problem?

MarkMc wrote: »
    No speculation re: the arson, this will result in bans

I will speculate only in my mind and offline :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah city bin service excellent. Have seen loads of my neighbours signed up with them.

Paid up with greyhound but will be switching ASAP. As long as city bin keep their prices realistic, they'll make an absolute fortune.

Deregulated, open markets for the win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I will speculate only in my mind and offline :rolleyes:

Don't bring this thread off topic again, you should know well enough by now that arguing with/discussing a mod warning on thread is a no-no. Speculation is not allowed, as such comments could be deemed defamatory and instigate legal action. If you want to discuss it more, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I signed up two weeks ago via phone, very polite and efficient on the phone.
    The payment (via debit card) went through immediately. Got my welcome pack in the post less than 5 days later. This included collection schedules, a form to fill out telling GH to take their bins back and a free post envelope.
    The bins appeared outside the next morning, neatly placed in my yard. No noise. No stickers or labels to be attached, just ready to use.
    I opted for the reminder text so every Monday night I get a polite text requesting that I leave the appropriate bins out.
    After the arson attack I received an email reassuring me that there would be no change to my service.

In short, I can't fault citybin at all. They've been a pleasure to deal with.

P.S. I'm in Whitehall, Dublin 9. If citybin hadn't been in my area I would have chosen Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've been with city bin for a few years now and can't fault their service. However greyhound just rang me up and offered me a years collection of all three bins for €80.

I could hardly refuse. However I'm concerned about it. The bins look smaller and I am wonder if it is a short term plan to wipe out the competition before raising prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just signed up myself now. Never used Greyhound before but glad I read boards before picking a waste collection service! I still have the old black, green and brown bins provided by the council originally I think. I presume they will not be taken away?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I have been looking at the City Bin Co website to see what exactly they charge.
    The website is a bit vague on this. They seem to offer 3 household options for customers in Dublin City Council area:
    (1) pay by weight
    (2) pay by number of lifts
    (3) all-in fixed fee.

http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=which-option-should-i-choose

The trouble is the website does not say what the price of each of these options is - apart from the €99 per year limited offer that is mentioned elsewhere on their website and in on-line advertising.

I also recall seeing mention somewhere of an annual maximum threshold weight allowed for black/grey bins - was it 500 kg? And a surcharge per kg above that. Was it 30c per kg?
    Presumably that would apply to No. 3 option above only.

I do not know where exactly I read this and I cannot now find it on their website but 500 kg annually (if that is correct) would represent less than 20 kg per fortnightly collection. I do not know what the weight of a the contents of full 240 L bin would be but I would be very surprised if it is only 20kgs.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've been with city bin for a few years now and can't fault their service. However greyhound just rang me up and offered me a years collection of all three bins for €80.

I could hardly refuse. However I'm concerned about it. The bins look smaller and I am wonder if it is a short term plan to wipe out the competition before raising prices.

Honestly, what you'll temporarily save in money you'll lose in sanity. I was with them until last January and the amount of missed collections is a joke, couple that with frequently having to wait for a couple of months, and call repeatedly, to be sent out recycling bags, and the fact that they are by far the most expensive out there and I really don't recommend switching to them.

Ernest wrote: »

I also recall seeing mention somewhere of an annual maximum threshold weight allowed for black/grey bins - was it 500 kg? And a surcharge per kg above that. Was it 30c per kg?

I do not know where exactly I read this and I cannot now find it on their website but 500 kg annually (if that is correct) would represent less than 20 kg per fortnightly collection. I do not know what the weight of a the contents of full 240 L bin would be but I would be very surprised if it is only 20kgs.

I was wondering about this before I signed up too. So when I rang to sign up I specifically asked are there any restrictions/limits/fair use age policy with the all in €99 for the year deal. I was told no, €99 for the year no mater what.

I'm assuming they are using this year as a loss leader kind of thing to get into the Dublin market and then depending on customer satisfaction and laziness to win loyalty and profits will rise from there. They are also weighing each bin lift AFAIK so you can use this years weights as a guideline.

And from the leaflet left in my door today "you won't find any hidden extras in our bins"…"no weight charges, no lift charges, no hidden charges, no strings attached…" (no small print about T&Cs either or fair use policy etc, only small print is about an award the business won)
    I guess most Dubliners are either trapped in contracts or are too sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I switched to Citybin today. I am currently with Greyhound and on their new price plan I would be paying roughly €17 per black bin lift :eek: This is based on the weights listed on my account. I had planned to move to Oxigen after my GH was used up but having spoken to neighbours and friends I decided to register with Citybins. Very impressed with their customer care and the general look of their operation. Good website, fast replies to emails, uniformed collectors.... all give the impression of a professional organisation. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

Ernest wrote: »
    I have been looking at the City Bin Co website to see what exactly they charge.
    The website is a bit vague on this. They seem to offer 3 household options for customers in Dublin City Council area:
    (1) pay by weight
    (2) pay by number of lifts
    (3) all-in fixed fee.

http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=which-option-should-i-choose

The trouble is the website does not say what the price of each of these options is - apart from the €99 per year limited offer that is mentioned elsewhere on their website and in on-line advertising.

I don't have a brown bin so all fruit and veg go into the black bin.
    Out of curiosity I weighed a full black bag that was heavier than normal, 17kg.
    There were 3 bags in the bin so could be looking at 50kg.

Now that city bin have given me a full sized brown bin a lot of the heavy scraps will be going into it so the black bin will be a lot lighter, they also will be logging my bin weights and letting me know how i'm doing.

In the €99 deal, when you go through the sign up process there is a mention of a charge of €0.13 per kilo over a 50kg lift of a grey bin which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.

nudger wrote: »
    In the €99 deal, when you go through the sign up process there is a mention of a charge of €0.13 per kilo over a 50kg lift of a grey bin which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.
    Out of curiosity did you sign up online or over the phone?
    I did it over the phone and don't remember hearing about any extra charges. Just looked over my "welcome pack" again and it's not in there either…? It would also seem to go against their advertising in the leaflet I received today?

Out of curiosity did you sign up online or over the phone?
    I did it over the phone and don't remember hearing about any extra charges. Just looked over my "welcome pack" again and it's not in there either…? It would also seem to go against their advertising in the leaflet I received today?

Online, and is not in my starter pack either.

As you sign up some T+C's come up, 10-15 and it's one of the last, but in fairness 50kg + is a lot.

Thinking of next year when the €99 deal is over, if you were putting a 50 kg grey bin out that would be 1300kg, 500 free and 800 @€;0.30 = €240 + the €15 a month = €420 but no way because of the brown bin.

Online, and is not in my starter pack either.

As you sign up some T+C's come up, 10-15 and it's one of the last

Now I'm not complaining, I'm happy with my service so far, I'm just curious: as I asked on the phone if there were any T&Cs to the deal and was told no, the T&Cs nudger has mentioned weren't in my welcome pack and I have an advertisement from them saying no extra charges on the €99 deal… what if my bin is overweight and they charge me?

First collection this morning, only 1 other set of red bins on my road at 7 am.

Spotted the city bin truck just off Blackhorse ave at 7.30 am, was back to my house around 1pm, wasn't sure if the bins were done or not as they were in the same spot I left them in, first time, empty.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

First collection this morning, only 1 other set of red bins on my road at 7 am.

Spotted the city bin truck just off Blackhorse ave at 7.30 am, was back to my house around 1pm, wasn't sure if the bins were done or not as they were in the same spot I left them in, first time, empty.:)

I'm not to far from you but the website says city bin is not in your area. Should I call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Just saw a City Bin truck pass by my house just now, will be switching over ASAP. In Ayrfield D13, in case anybody is wondering.

Nate

Hootanany wrote: »
    I'm not to far from you but the website says city bin is not in your area. Should I call them.

I'd say if you want to use them there won't be a problem.

The first time I tried to sign up I put in my street name and nothing came up, next day put it in again and the name came up with the park, grove, way, etc.

The first 5000 thing is bull, they want everyone, friend of mine rang up and was told it was on until January.

I'd call them, €99 is very good for the year.

I'd say if you want to use them there won't be a problem.

The first time I tried to sign up I put in my street name and nothing came up, next day put it in again and the name came up with the park, grove, way, etc.

The first 5000 thing is bull, they want everyone, friend of mine rang up and was told it was on until January.

I'd call them, €99 is very good for the year.

Dont count on it. I'm 2 roads from where they already deliver and they wont cover my house:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks like I got my hopes up too soon. Put my bin out for the first time last night for collection today and unless they come along in the middle of night they are a no show :(

Going to ring them first thing in the morning and see what the story is.

EDIT: Well they came some time between 1 and 7am this morning. Never seen pick ups between those times but happy its done. On the other hand some fecker dumped a load of rubbish in the greyhound bins I'm waiting to be taken away :mad:

Advertisement