Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten month food/drink schedule

Options
  • 14-12-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

My ten month old gets:
    7am - cereal , fruit and toast And eats this meal well.
    8.30 - 8 oz bottle - usually finishes
    9-10.30 -sleep
    11- yoghurt as snack
    12 - mashed veg and fruit meat and finger food - usually eats about 4 oz
    1.30-2.30 sleep
    2.30 8oz bottle
    4.30 - walk and relax/snooze
    5 - dinner - offer veg, fruit, pasta etc mostly al refused. Sometimes will eat a little finger good like cheese but nothing else
    6.20-6.30 - 8oz bottle

We have tried to give her water or juice etc at every single meal for 5 months now. We've tried 5 different cups of all different types consistently for a few weeks each. Not a drop has passed her lips!
    She was so constipated we resorted to adding water to her meals to try get more fluids into her. She won't really eat dinner tho and in general spends from 5.45-6.30 hysterical then gulps bottle and then bed. I'm wondering should I do something differently? Like revert to a fourth bottle - even a few oz at 4.30 before her walk? It's stressing me that she won't drink anything other than her 3 bottles. I do know that 24 oz is great for a girl but really thought shed be on something other than milk by now? Dinner is just a nightmare - she wants to feed herself it seems which I encourage - lots of things tried and done days it works but usually not - fruit pieces, penne pasta, toast fingers, fish fingers, ham slices, steamed broccoli florets etc etc etc!
    The constipation has eased over last coupe days as we have been giving her a fair bit of fruit - at brekkie and lunch, even a little fig, but I think it's lack of water really that's the issue!
    I've tried her milk feeds out if a cup - that just causes all levels of hysteria!
    Not sure if I should try juice out of her bottle? She's just so stubborn... She would make herself hungry in protest to doing something in a way she doesn't like ! And I can't just leave it as then she goes into a right mess as she's hungry, thirsty, and it wrecks her sleep!

Anyone had situation like this? Anyone have similar age and have ways that work for you?

Any suggestions to change of routine welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My girl is 10 1/2 months and is on 2 bottles a day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. Maybe she's so full from the 2.30 bottle that's why she won't eat her dinner ?

With regards to drinking water have you tried a straw - shes been drinking water from a straw from 5 months old as she wouldn't take it from a bottle and drinks water at every meal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

foodaholic wrote: »
    My girl is 10 1/2 months and is on 2 bottles a day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. Maybe she's so full from the 2.30 bottle that's why she won't eat her dinner ?

With regards to drinking water have you tried a straw - shes been drinking water from a straw from 5 months old as she wouldn't take it from a bottle and drinks water at every meal now.

Thanks for the tips! Do you mean like a normal straw? How did you teach her to use it? Or do they just get it!

Yep just a normal bendy straw - I didn't teach her, as soon as I put it in her mouth she sucked on it. My SIL did the same with her daughter. She loves blowing bubbles through it

Ill give it a shot! I didnt realise they were meant to be down to two bottles by this stage :eek: oops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I've heard of a few people who have had great success with straws. Well worth a try.

As regards not eating her dinner, she might still be quite full from her 8oz bottle at 2.30. Maybe try reducing the amount?

My little girl is 12 months now, but was taking 2 bottles a day from about 8 months but she does drink a fair bit of water for me.
    I really hope you find something that works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

dublinlady wrote: »
    Ill give it a shot! I didnt realise they were meant to be down to two bottles by this stage :eek: oops :(

They don't have to be on 2 a day. My nephew is still on 3 at 12 months as is the son of a friend of mine who is 22 months.

Have a look on the side of the formula, it should tell you how many oz are recommend for her age. My aim is to have her off formula by 12 months - I don't like the follow-on milks, don't think they are necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

It's more about the amount of oz they are taking in rather than the amount of bottles, as far as I'm aware they should be taking at least 18oz between 9-12 months along with a varied diet. So that could mean 2 9oz bottles, 3 6oz bottles etc.

For me J will only take a few sups of water with the lid on the sippy cup but take off the lid & let him drink out of it like a normal cup (while holding it with him) & he will drink the whole lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Its not really the number of bottles but the quantity of milk, Im not sure so check but I think its something around 16oz + /day. My daughter was not good at taking big quantity at a time so she had 5oz in morning and same at night so I was giving milk with all her meals to make up what she needed. And she has only been good at eating a third meal a day somewhere before 2yrs old. My opinion is breastmilk or formula is the most important thing up to 1yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

oops just saw I basically repeated what was said before, sorry bout that!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my 10month old has 6oz bottle at 9.00, porriage at 11, 6oz bottle at 1. Lunch at 2, bottle at 3 dinner at 5, 6oz bottle at 7. So 3 6 oz bottles and 3 very small meals. Hes bang on the weight for a breastfed baby even though he's been bottlefed for months, but underweight according to the phn chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

In the same boat with my little one. She has breakfast - cereal and fruit and about 4oz at 7.30. Then dinner and 6oz at 11.30 (eats it all) and then a snack (yoghurt) at 2.30. But she refuses her tea. Tried her again this evening with Lentil Puree (refused) so gave her a rusk and she threw that at me! Dont want her to go to bed hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Im the same, I use the rusk as an afermation that he's def not hungary. If he refuses that, he's fine! Does your little one wake during the night for food?

And thats exactly the issue - she wont eat her dinner most days and then is awake for hrs during the night. we dont give her a bottle when she wakes as wont want her to be in habit of it. altho any day she doeseat dinner she still wakes during the night - and wants to play... we'd never manage a 9am brekkie as shes up from 6.30 most days - unless shes been up like the other night from 2 til 4.30 ...then she'll lie in til 7.....

We have moved the afternoon bottle to two and moved her nap to after that and it seems to be helping a little with her dinner, we are thinking of reducing the amount of oz in that bottle to 6 from 8 - but im just not comfortable doing that until she has a better grasp of drinking water/juice! shes taken a few sips over last few days so hopefully shes starting to come around to the idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

My eight month old daughter has three meals water/juice but still has four bottles. I dropped one of the bottles for two days but both nights she woke at four in the morning very angry.

She's up at 8 5oz bottle half past breakfast of cereal fruit and toast at ten. 5oz at half eleven. Sleeps till one. Yoghurt and 5oz bottle at two. Sleeps from 3.30 ish till 5ish. Dinner at six. Usually what we are having. Drinks juice or water. Usually seven oz. Then bottle and bed at 8. She may also have jelly or a biscuit. She loves her food.

My prob is she's no interest in water/juice in dippy. She has it in a smaller 5oz bottle. It came with handles but she won't use them. She feeds herself the bottle lying on her side looking out the big window.

I've got every possible cup going. And no luck. But she will drink out of daddy's pint glass. Has a mouth full at a time. No bother.But I can't give her that obviously. Any ideas? She's not fussy at eating or drinking.. just what she uses. I've the bendy and solid tommee tippee spoons. Will only eat off the solid ones! She's certainly got her own personality going on and she's only 8 months. God frickin help me!!!

Any tips on cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

staticdoor71 did you try the doidy cup? It's an open cup which is designed for people with difficulties drinking from a normal open cup. My son was ok with the sippy cup after a couple of months of practice but he was breastfed so never really had bottles. So it was a case of learn quickly for him!

The doidy cup may help you. I think Amazon sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

8 months is still young. Mine didn't take to sippy cups until she was a year old. I wouldn't worry about it, just give it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My prob is she's no interest in water/juice in dippy. She has it in a smaller 5oz bottle. It came with handles but she won't use them. She feeds herself the bottle lying on her side looking out the big window.

I've got every possible cup going. And no luck. But she will drink out of daddy's pint glass. Has a mouth full at a time. No bother.But I can't give her that obviously. Any ideas?

Well, you could...or out of a tough plastic smaller version of a pint glass? If she will drink out of that, she can drink out of an open cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Doidy cup here too!
    Alternate between that and a Tupperware sippy cup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey folks,

Our little one is now refusing food and we're at our wits end! She used to be a fantastic feeder until she got a bug about a month ago.
    It seems as though she'll eat if we use a different bowl but wont eat much of it. She eats toast and liga as long as she's holding it so maybe we need to do more foods that she can handle herself. We've been doing the beef casserole puree, chicken cass puree, etc and I think maybe she's tired of it.

Would love to hear what everyone else did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

If she's happy to feed herself I'd let her work away. Baby led weaning recipes might be worth a google to find ways of making good finger foods that aren't too plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi, my 11 month old has a Weetabix softened with formula from a 6oz bottle, she drinks the remainder. Usually around 8am or so. She'll have a snack of Liga or those Organix carrot sticks or fruit a couple of hours later. Lunch around half 12, toast and beans/ spaghetti /scrambled egg maybe, or brown bread and Laughing Cow cheese. A 6oz bottle around 3pm. Probably another snack awhile later. Dinner around 6pm. Thankfully she is much better with food now, she refused homemade dinner until a few weeks ago. So dinner can be chopped up pasta/waffle that she feeds herself, with spoons of whatever we are eating. A 7oz bottle at 7.45pm ish, then.
    Dublinlady, I have the same problem. She refuses juice/water pretty much point blank. She turns away, and pushes the cup away. Sometimes she will drink a sip of milk out of her Dad's glass at dinner. Like you, I have tried everything. If I get the tiniest sip into her, it's because I have caught her unawares! The straw idea sounds great though, am going to give that a try! I thought she'd be down to 2 bottles by now, but with the 3 she's still only drinking about 16oz a day. She'll be a year next month, and I'm cutting out the formula altogether, and onto cow's milk.
    I have decided not to stress over it, my GP wasn't concerned when I mentioned it. She said when she's on her feet, she will be thirstier. She's not suffering from it anyway:)

Advertisement