Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tanning Methods?

• 14-12-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Looking for some advice as i've never used a fake tan before, i'm hoping that some of you have advice on the best methods as i see some that look great and others look bad and orange tinted. i dont really mind if it is even just suttel i just want to look healthier

please help with my Irish skin :)
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I don't use it all that often, but when I do I just get a spray tan at a salon. It's simplest, and you're guaranteed that it won't look patchy. I think some people can be very good at applying it themselves, but if you're not used to doing it I think spray is the way to go. Additionally, if you go for a spray tan they will ask you how dark you want to go and you can specify that you want to stay light. It always looks a lot darker as it develops, but as soon as you shower all the excess will wash away and you'll be left with a lighter shade.

If you're trying for a more general day-to-day tanned look you could try the Dove/Johnsons Gradual Tanners. They're just like a body lotion and you can apply them every day and they develop slowly. It's rare that they go patchy because the coverage is so light. Plus they're cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

I always find that mousse tans are easiest to apply evenly (with a mitt, or an odd sock). San tropez is my fave- I've never had any bother putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 metrobro

thanks for the great advice both of you, it's a bit scary trying for the first time. i'm glad you told me that it gets darker after a while i could have used way to much haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I remember when I used a tan one of the first times, I put it on and it was a clear liquid. After a few hours, there was very little color developing so I layer it on again!!
    I headed out that nite and oh when I woke up the next morning I was so so brown.
    It developed during the nite. It took scrubbing for a good week before my white skin could be seen again. I did not use it for a good while after that:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 metrobro

haha molly that's hilarious :) i'll be carefull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Exfoliate and moisturise the day before tanning but never on the day.

Use a tanning mitt if possible.

Buy a tan that is tinted so you can see where you have applied.

When doing hands/feet/knees/elbows do a really light layer. These parts of your body soak up the tan more so can stain badly if you apply too much.

Better to do a thin, even application than a thick one. You can always layer it and go darker if you're not happy.

A couple of days after doing your tan, begin gently moisturising to prolong its life. When it starts to get patchy you can exfoliate to speed up removal.

In my experience the ones that develop over night are best and last longest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I really like gradual tans. My favourite one for the last few months has been St. Tropaz gradual tan in light/medium. It's very natural looking and gives a sort of "glow".

Before applying I use a body brush on dry skin, then shower and exfoliate with a glove and exfoliater (I love the Soap & Glory one). Afterwards I apply the tan with a mit starting at my feet and working my way up! It takes about 6-8 hours to properly become visible.

I usually get about a week out of it if I moisturize every day.

Also all St. Tropaz products are half price in Boots at the moment. Pretty sweet :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Hi OP, if you're really nervous about doing tan for the first time, then I'd recommend you get a wash-off one until you're used to it a bit. Rimmel Sun Shimmer are great, and you can get them in 4 different shades. I use Light and it's still dark enough, but they also do Fair, which might suit you better. They're between €6-9 per bottle (depending on where you buy them). Use a mitt to apply. The annoying thing about the tan is that it comes off with water so you have to bring bronzer out for your hands, and you're fecked if it's raining! However they have a new version out that is more waterproof. It still comes off very easily with soap and water but it doesn't wipe off with just a splash of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Id recommend a gradual tanner, I like garnier summer body. And top it up with Sally Hansen instant tan, between the two you should have a nice golden colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alainnbeauty

a mitt is a must , get a tann that has a tint so you don't leave odd patches , wow brown or top image both are easy to use have tints on them and dont leave you orange. you could also try a instant tann like sally Hanson for the first time to see how you get on. Goodluck :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement