Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long does it take cat bite to heal?

• 14-12-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Had flower (my cat) at the vets twice over the last fortnight
    First time she had a lot of dandruff and seemed uncertain in her gait so he gave her anti inflammatory and anti biotic for a bite

Soon as the anti biotic was finished she was rubbing her nose and sneezing and had watery eyes. Back to the vets for another round of anti biotics although he thought symptoms were allergy...just to be on safe side

Last two days she's really clingy and seems to be tender along her lower back
    Appetite is fine, mood and behaviour is fine, coat shiny etc

My question is how long does it take for a bite to heal from tenderness? Its now two weeks since visiting the vet for the bite...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If its not infected the inflammatory part of a bite shouldn't be tender after a week, 10 days at the very very maximum if Antib's have been administered. If it is, then it's inflamed still and probably infected, but your vet should've spotted that.Where was the bite? Is it the lower back were you say shes tender?

The sneezing etc, doesnt sound like its linked to the bite but potentially the allergies your vet mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

anniehoo wrote: »
    If its not infected the inflammatory part of a bite shouldn't be tender after a week, 10 days at the very very maximum if Antib's have been administered. If it is, then it's inflamed still and probably infected, but your vet should've spotted that.Where was the bite? Is it the lower back were you say shes tender?

The sneezing etc, doesnt sound like its linked to the bite but potentially the allergies your vet mentioned.

Thank you!
    he didn't actually find a bite, when examining the glands in her back legs one was swollen, also the base of her tail looked a bit swollen.
    we presumed it was a bite given the shabby coat, uncertain movements and she's scrappy

this is further up, id say middle of her lower back and what I've noticed is when I put my hand directly on the area she whips her head around to keep an eye and has some little shudders if I gently touch. I'm sure she'd swipe if it was painful? Maybe she's cautious after being bitten?

You're right about the allergies, she has reactions to all kinds of things...I'm still learning with that issue, still haven't a clue what it was this time but the sniffles are gone so it wasn't too serious...

Advertisement