Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband unstable

Options
  • 14-12-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am in Tralee and on the 7mb broadband package for about a year. It's been fine up until about 3 days ago. My connection seems to have massively degraded.
    Upload speed and ping is stable, but download speed fluctuates massively, usually between 0.5mb/s and 5mb/s but mostly on the lower end. This has degraded streaming on YT and Netflix noticeably.

Is anything being changed on Eircoms end to cause this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi roc13x

Can you please PM me your landline number? I will look into this and run a few tests.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Hi there,

I'm having a related problem - broadband keeps disconnecting, takes up to 15mins to reconnect. Just drops the connection, flashing DSL light and standard warning on computer. Happens 4-5 times weekly, on a NGB connection in Waterford City. Had boxes changed some months ago - made a difference for a while. Also speed varies from very fast to slow. Wondering if you could take a look?

Cheers,
    Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi there,

I'm having a related problem - broadband keeps disconnecting, takes up to 15mins to reconnect. Just drops the connection, flashing DSL light and standard warning on computer. Happens 4-5 times weekly, on a NGB connection in Waterford City. Had boxes changed some months ago - made a difference for a while. Also speed varies from very fast to slow. Wondering if you could take a look?

Cheers,
    Richard

Hi coolperson05,

If you want to PM me with your tel no: and I will look into your broadband connection for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi there,

Cheers,
    Richard

Hi coolperson05,

Got your PM thanks. I ran a few checks on your line and connection and could not find an issue. Can you go through the following:

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/RN6MXn

Let me know if there is any improvement?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I've been having this issue with my connection in Ennis for over a week now. I have a friend on the other side of town (also with eircom) who has been complaining of the same problem -- frequent connection drops, and quite often I get awful pings, in the order of 600-700ms. It means I can't play online gaming or stream anything reliably. I've gone through the checklist, and also updated the firmware on my modem (Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3). At this rate, it must be down to the router or line. Any help would be much appreciated as it's getting very frustrating.

• Advertisement

syncosised wrote: »
    I've been having this issue with my connection in Ennis for over a week now. I have a friend on the other side of town (also with eircom) who has been complaining of the same problem -- frequent connection drops, and quite often I get awful pings, in the order of 600-700ms. It means I can't play online gaming or stream anything reliably. I've gone through the checklist, and also updated the firmware on my modem (Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3). At this rate, it must be down to the router or line. Any help would be much appreciated as it's getting very frustrating.

Hi syncosised,

I have checked your details that we had logged from last year. The line is testing perfectly. The speed / connection to the main socket is showing:

Downstream
    Synced at: 9215kbps Provisioned: 2048-9216kbps

Can you go through the Tips we set on the forum for Ping / gaming - http://bit.ly/VVgmXC

Let me know if there is any improvement.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Thanks for checking that out, Mark. It must be the router then. I've never had much luck with the eircom-provided ones, they're not the best in fairness. I'll look into getting my own one, hopefully that'll sort me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

syncosised wrote: »
    Thanks for checking that out, Mark. It must be the router then. I've never had much luck with the eircom-provided ones, they're not the best in fairness. I'll look into getting my own one, hopefully that'll sort me out.

Thanks syncosised, let us know if this works / or not.
    Tony

Advertisement