Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting a tv on chipboard - question

• 14-12-2012 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a tv unit kind of similar to one shown in the following image...

460-6781244IEUC1309400M.jpg

The back part is hollowed out and is barely an inch thick. Its also veneer covered chipboard. Now, I want to hang a 42" tv on it via a tv bracket :eek:

Obviously I wouldn't attempt to do so as is, so I'll be needing much, much stronger grounds to do so.

I thought I might get the heaviest piece of plywood (or whatever is stronger) I can lay my hands on, cut it to size so it fits into the hollowed out area, attach it with lots of 90 degree brackets, fix the tv bracket to the front of the unit with appropriate sized/strength bolts which would run through the plywood and tighten them with a couple of bolts, and then hang the tv - I want to plonk a large center speaker underneath the tv btw.

Am I looking at an upturned tv unit and smashed tv or would the chipboard be able to withstand the pressure (which I THINK should be passed onto the plywood instead?). Also, is there any chance of the tv bracket cutting/sinking into the chipboard as I tighten the bolts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

I wouldn't bother with a TV mount at all. just screw/bolt it on from behind, with some big washers.
    If the tv is flush to the cabinet there will be no bother with weight.

if your really fussed, then put a screw thro the back panel into the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

whizbang wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with a TV mount at all. just screw/bolt it on from behind, with some big washers.
    If the tv is flush to the cabinet there will be no bother with weight.

if your really fussed, then put a screw thro the back panel into the wall.

+1

just bolt it from behind, you could use some ply behind to spread the load out, effectively sandwich the back panel of the unit between the TV and the ply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit though, the thought of nothing between the back of the TV and a few nuts & bolts but half an inch of chipboard terrifies me. I'd be waiting for the weight of the TV to pull them through and into smithereens on the floor.

I think I'll make extra sure and secure some heavy ply to take the weight.

Will post pics if I arse it up and make bits of everything :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just make sure the rest of the structure is strong enough too. It would be a shame to go to all that effort only to wake up to find the nice veneered board & TV lying face down because the board was only fixed to the uprights with flimsy staples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I would beef up the existing chipboard with panel of chipboard, mdf or ply behind. Cut the panel to size to fit the void, put some panel adhesive on the back and put in position. Use screws of sufficient length to penetrate the second "backer" board when mounting the TV. The extra board thickness will stiffen the existing panel and gives you a good fix for the screws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

No need to strenghten ythe chipboard, it will be fine.
    You may nee to pay attention to the joint betwewn the backboard and the top of the unit to ensure that the extra moment generated at this point is not excessive for the joint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Thanks again fellers. If I chicken out I know a joiner who will do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

cut a good hole in the back of the unit, and put one of those good TV arms through it, ancher the arm to the wall and fix the TV to it, so the unit is taking none of the weight at all.

Advertisement