Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal lovers protest removal of fleas from UGH

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So, are people just against sorting out feral cats or is it all creatures that can be pests? If it were rats, or cockroaches, or pigeons would that be an acceptable pest control operation? :confused:

Firstly the cats are not pests. They were originally domesticated to control pests. Secondly we do not have wild cats so feral cats only exist because of human neglect. Thirdly there an alternative to killing them. But the main argument against killing is that there is no sure way of distinguishing between a feral cat & a pet.

I have not seen any evidence that Rentokill made any attempt to identify if any of the cats were pets before killing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Do you know if any record (photographic?) is kept of cats that are put down by Rentokill and the local vets?

We live near the hospital and our cat disappeared at the height of this. He was a very shy feral injured kitten we took and brought up to health and had been taming over a few months... unfortunately hadn't got a collar on him yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

J o e wrote: »
    Do you know if any record (photographic?) is kept of cats that are put down by Rentokill and the local vets?

We live near the hospital and our cat disappeared at the height of this. He was a very shy feral injured kitten we took and brought up to health and had been taming over a few months... unfortunately hadn't got a collar on him yet.

Ah feck. Hopefully the poor fella got away. I doubt they have any record of the unfortunate kitties.

In response to the person asking about not being upset about "other vermin" being nuked. I'd like to think that they'd cull based on actual evidence, which was clearly lacking in this instance.

It was like they decided to perform the cull, then thought that they should get some info to back it up. When the info came back stating that the cats were not the most likely cause, they barelled ahead with the cull anyhow.

The only way to cull cats is by following the standard procedure as used on Tory Island which pretty much guarantees the safety of pets. But it would uneconomical for pest removers to follow this proceedure.

I very much doubt if photographs were taken. Rentokill are hardly likely to provide evidence that they killed pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yawn, I'm not a mod here, so I can push any agendas I want within the bounds of the forum charter. If you have a problem with my post or thread, you know where the "report post" button is.

Back on topic, you do realise that the vast majority of animals in the world are "homeless" - and that most animal rights activists campaign against animals being held in captivity? For a cat, I would consider living a domestic home and not being free to roam and hunt as nature intended is a form of captivity.
    Oh you can be sure of that, I did so last night madam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

J o e wrote: »

Despite repeated requests by Galway Cat Rescue to both Rentokil and the HSE, neither would disclose which vets were used to put down the cats.

dilallio wrote: »

Despite repeated requests by Galway Cat Rescue to both Rentokil and the HSE, neither would disclose which vets were used to put down the cats.

That's hardly surprising. Any Vet that I know would refuse to kill a health feral
    & they would contact the local rescue. A Vet needs the permission of the owner which is impossible with ferals.

The obvious choice would normally be the County Vet who is employed by the Council. But I can't see that they would undertake work for a private contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I still believe that it is most likely that it was rats, not cats, that were killed.

Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers - and doubly so when the health sector in involved.

I still believe that it is most likely that it was rats, not cats, that were killed.

Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers - and doubly so when the health sector in involved.

Are you being serious? The HSE have confirmed that cats were killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Discodog wrote: »

watch out for the wind ups, disco, you are of course correct it was cats that were exterminated not rats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There's also a continuous rat cull and control schedule in place and being adhered to. This I know for an absolute fact.

Cat fleas and rat fleas are entirely different species.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There's also a continuous rat cull and control schedule in place and being adhered to. This I know for an absolute fact.

Cat fleas and rat fleas are entirely different species.

And cat's naturally keep the rat population in check,

Discodog wrote: »

Yes, absolutely serious.

Have you seen pics of the dead cats.

Has anyone met anyone involved in actually killing them?

The real question of course is.. how did the cat's gain access to the 'out-patients' area?, were they patiently awaiting a cat scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Yes, absolutely serious.

So the HSE West decided it wasn't getting enough bad publicity lately so decided to make up this story? Come on....

It's an absolute disgrace what was done, I can appreciate the hospital not wanting cats on the grounds but TNR should have been applied. A quick google search alone would have shown this to be the best method, better yet where possible re-homing as many of the cats as possible would have been great.

Yes, absolutely serious.

So the HSE & Rentokil admit in writing
    that cats were killed but you don't believe them. Maybe you should start a thread in Conspiracy Theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Mrs OBumble. I can't help but feel like you are trolling at this stage; contradicting the articles you linked to in previous posts. My suggestion would be to take this to the Conspiracy Theories Forum if you wish to discuss this particular angle further.

This thread is starting to descend to a not-so-nice place, so if we could just wrap it up with whatever closing statements you have, and then we can move on.

Please, Thank you and bless your cotton socks.

This incident has just confirmed the need for feral cats to be included in the forthcoming Animal Welfare Bill. Rentokil & others of their ilk, have to be legally prevented from killing people's pets.

We created the feral cat problem & we need to focus on a humane & safe way of controlling their numbers.

Whilst the HSE must take some of the blame they hired, so called, experts. Rentokil wrongly assessed the problem & they came up with an ineffective, inhumane solution whilst charging a fortune. The HSE, the cats & local residents, who may of lost pets, are the losers.

My only closing statement is that I've worked in health administration, and I know very well that just because something is "in writing" in the newspaper does not mean that it bears more than a passing resemblance to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Okie Dokie. Thanks to all and sundry for such a interesting (albeit heated) discussion.

This thread c'est fini...

porky.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement