Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnout!

• 14-12-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I am burned out and lacking motivation!
    HELP!tongue.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

You're not the only one. I can't get motivated at all, and I'm wrecked. exhausted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Thank God! I'm not the only one! I was going brilliant untill last week I had an emotional breakdown yesterday and didn't go to school today (Mother's orders!) Just don't know!! What are you hoping for? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Kenbob wrote: »
    Thank God! I'm not the only one! I was going brilliant untill last week I had an emotional breakdown yesterday and didn't go to school today (Mother's orders!) Just don't know!! What are you hoping for? :D

Science probably, hopefully in Trinity or UCD so high enough points. What about you?

Law in UCC or Ul eventhough I was looking into Trinners too there..I am a Munster gal so staying in the vicinity would probably suit better...Hoping to have a good crack at it tomorrow again! This being worn out sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Happened to me just after Christmas last year! My advice would be to have a good rest over the Christmas break, but I would suggest trying to stick to some sort of routine. Not like a school routine, but I found that when we broke off for Christmas last year I slept an awful lot. I think I overslept a bit which didn't actually help solve the tiredness problems, it was much the same. So when I say routine, I just mean like trying to be up before 11am every day or something, or not going to bed too late. Nothing crazy, just something to ensure you're not sleeping too much either.

• Advertisement

leaveiton wrote: »
    Happened to me just after Christmas last year! My advice would be to have a good rest over the Christmas break, but I would suggest trying to stick to some sort of routine. Not like a school routine, but I found that when we broke off for Christmas last year I slept an awful lot. I think I overslept a bit which didn't actually help solve the tiredness problems, it was much the same. So when I say routine, I just mean like trying to be up before 11am every day or something, or not going to bed too late. Nothing crazy, just something to ensure you're not sleeping too much either.

Ya my plan is to take a good bit of time off, as in untill the 28th then working till the 30th then back on again January 2nd.. I just need to get out of my rut and Cop on again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Don't go too mad with working over Christmas either, especially if you're feeling burnt out already. Better to just take the time off, you can study all you like once school starts again :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Yeah obviously you should take a bit over the Christmas term, certainly in and around Christmas Day anyway!

You could also be studying too much as well, sounds weird but its possible! If you're studying four hours straight with only one break your brain is going to be fried and you won't learn anything in the end! One thing that really helps me is to divide your time into half an hour blocks with five minutes break in between as well as a twenty minute break in the middle of everything. It's actually proven that the brain needs a rest every half hour - 45 minutes or so in order to process information better. Also don't do the same subject/topic two blocks in a row so it keeps it interesting!

I used to study for 3-4 hours straight with just one 15-20 minute break and it does get really monotonous. I know the method I mentioned seems like you won't get much done but it actually helps loads! And don't ya worry, we all feel the same as you! :P

Ya I think I've learned now that I'm gone a bit overboard :P Thanks for all the help! Ya sure it'll turn out for all of us in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

You've probably heard this before, but getting fresh air and exercise on a regular basis will make a huge difference to how you feel about your studies.

There's a long way to go before the exams next June and if you are feeling burnt out already maybe take a complete break over the holidays and just enjoy yourself. Spend time with family and friends, get out in the fresh air, think about your goals. I guarantee when you get back to the books in January you'll have rediscovered your drive and the studying will become easy again.

Next year is the big one, pace yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Burned out in 5th year took me ALL of summer to recover, I have since discovered there is nothing like a day off. :D

Advertisement