Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Hack

Options
  • 15-12-2012 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Someone in Charlesland Court hacked my Wireless Router (Again!!!)
    Then Changed the settings on my modem so it would broadcast free with no Wireless key. I sorted that last week and changed the codes.

Today I found it happened again and this time the wireless was enabled on the modem this time with a wireless key.

Just to note I have a Wireless Router separate from the UPC modem as I found it was getting interference from the other modems near by. The Wireless Router plugs via cable into the modem. The wireless on the UPC box is always disabled.

I would urge whoever is doing this to stop or face your computer becoming a paper weight.
    And before anyone blames this on a virus this happened while I was connected via the router on my iPhone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Techy_1 wrote: »
    Someone in Charlesland Court hacked my Wireless Router (Again!!!)
    Then Changed the settings on my modem so it would broadcast free with no Wireless key. I sorted that last week and changed the codes.

Today I found it happened again and this time the wireless was enabled on the modem this time with a wireless key.

Just to note I have a Wireless Router separate from the UPC modem as I found it was getting interference from the other modems near by. The Wireless Router plugs via cable into the modem. The wireless on the UPC box is always disabled.

I would urge whoever is doing this to stop or face your computer becoming a paper weight.
    And before anyone blames this on a virus this happened while I was connected via the router on my iPhone
    What type of security were You using on that WiFi? WEP, WPA or WPA2? To be honest it's quite easy to hack wireless if you know what you're doing.
    To get rid of that problem simply configure your router so the WiFi will not broadcast the network, closed network if i remember the name correctly. In that case SID wouldn't be available but I'm not sure about the backtrack Linux distro which usually is used for cracking WiFi keys, haven't played with that in ages.
    Write the name of router, I'll help ya with config or at least I'll try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Make sure the wireless is set to WPA not Wep. Don't broadcast the name of the network. Set Mac address filters on the router as well.

Id say just change the secuirty to WPA if it was WEP previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

MAC filter probably won't work properly, the guy already got in to his network twice or even more so I'm almost sure that he have his MAC's as well. Not a problem to clone them and get access again.
    WPA yes, but don't make password to simple. Minimum 12 chars, mixed letters and numbers.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Please take tech stuff to the relevant forum. Techy_1, I will leave as is for all to see but I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement