Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Match 14: Incognito Man v eugeneious

• 15-12-2012 5:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

This match will decide a place in the final and will last for 48 hours (counting from 1pm today) in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentence is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Who wins? 5 votes

Incognito Man
    0% 0 votes
    eugeneious
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

abDKDGXa5.jpg

Ok here is my team. Ill start out at the back.

GK:
    Ben Foster. West Broms 6ft 4in keeper is my choice between the sticks. Solid and capable of some sublime saves.

Right Back:
    Coleman. Everton and Ireland right back has shown himself a very useful player since his transfer from sligo rovers. Very good going forward and I know people will pick on him for his defending but he is a player I feel is improving that area of his game the whole time.

Centre Back:
    Mertesacker. A regular at the heart of both Arsenal and Germany defences Per will add a wealth of experience at the back. At 28 he has over 80 caps already for Germany.

Evans. Arguably Man Utd's best defender for the last 12 months. Jonny has had to step in and fill the void left by vidic at united and he has done a very good job of it.

Left Back:
    Figueroa. A fine left back who can fairly hit a ball. Comfortable on the ball he is one of the leagues most under rated players I feel

Centre Midfield:
    Cabaye. A player who works for his team at both ends of the field scores and creates. Brilliant passer of the ball

Faurlin. Another player with a wonderful range of passing. Despite QPR's shocking run he is one player that Ive always liked when I have seen them play.

Attacking Midfield/Second striker:
    Rooney. My main man. The player who will make my side tick. Dont think anyone needs an introduction to him

Right Wing:
    Lennon. Spurs right winger will cause most left backs problems with his pace and crossing. Should work well with these players

Left Wing:
    Podolski. Class and a very clever player. Had a good goals return last year and has over 100 caps for Germany. At 27 you feel he is going to add to that tally. Made a decent start to life in England

Centre Forward:
    Andrew Cole. I dont want to upset him so I call him Andrew. One half of probably one of the best strike partnerships the Epl has ever seen I hope he can link up as well with pod and rooney. Second highest all time scorer as well

So thats my players. My gameplan will be simple. Try and control possession and create chances for the likes of cole, podolski and rooney. In my two centre mids and rooney I have some of the best passers in the league and in cole I have a striker or is capable of putting the ball in the net. My two centre backs are first team players at Arsenal and Man Utd. Two top 4 sides. My right back is the first choice at a side pushing for top 4, likely top 6 finishers and my goal keeper is looking at a top 8 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Goalkeeper:

For me Brad Friedel is still one of the best 'keepers around and has shown this already this season at Spurs with some incredible performances. It's testament to his ability that Hugo Lloris can't nail down the number 1 jersey because of Brad's form. Has everything a great 'keeper needs, great command of his area, of course wonderful reflexes, good distribution and great decision making. Also has a goal in him Anyway he will provide a very solid presence behind my back 4 and I don't think you could pick too many faults in Brad.

Defence:

With regards my full-backs O'Shea will give the side plenty of experience and is primarily there for his solid defensive ability, although that's not to say he can't be an attacking threat especially at set-pieces. Taylor on the other hand, while also very good defensively, provides a great attacking outlet on that left hand side and with Carrick in midfield to cover his position when he goes forward Taylor is the exact right type of player to have at left back and his form for Swansea last season and also Wales was consistently excellent.

In central defence Ferdinand and Vidic provide me with the perfect partnership. Obviously they have shown that they suit each others' games very well and I think while many on the draft have 2 good centre-backs, not many have two good-centre backs that balance each other out quite as well as Vidic and Rio do. Both of course possess a great threat from set piece situations. The most important thing about them is of course is their ability and imo Ferdinand has shown this season for Manchester United that he is still among the very best in the league and has even stood out as Utd's best player in some games (Liverpool away in particular comes to mind) and while I can understand people's reservations about Vidic due to his injury, he has also shown this season he is amongst the very best (imo along with Kompany the best) in the league and it was only this time last year when he was helping Utd on the way to 7 clean sheets in a row. Vital player and he is also my choice for captain of the side (just ahead of Vieira)

Midfield:

My midfield is, imo, the strongest area of my team and that is where I believe this team could win any game. First of all Carrick's job is to simply intercept any opposition passes and cover for the defence while also using his long range of passing to supply the likes of Johnson, Moses and Berbatov. People will say Carrick doesn't cope well when pressed by the opposition and this is one of the reasons why I felt it was important to pick two dynamic box-to-box midfielders like Ramires and Vieira who will help relive a lot of the pressure from Carrick. Everyone of course knows just how good Vieira is and imo he is the best player in this side and him and Ramires, who I think is second to only Yaya Toure as the league's best midfielder, will be the real engine of the team and will be immensely important in both defending and setting up attacking play and with their pace, especially that of Ramires', their ability on the counter attack with the pace of Moses as well is a very important strength that this team possesses.

Attack:

With Moses and Johnson either side of Berbatov I feel as though I have struck a perfect balance between the pace of Moses and the great technical ability of Johnson. Both of course are goal threats and imo both will work very well with Berbatov. Johnson also is a threat with set pieces with a very good technique in terms of his delivery from dead-balls. With regards Berbatov, he is just a class act. Only RVP has more goals/assists in the PL since 2008 and I think very little else needs to be said about his ability. Has had a very good goal record where ever he has been, PL golden boot winner and will of course be this team's main attacking threat and will be important in bringing the midfield and wide-men into play.

abDLMn3afX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Going for Eugeneious here. I dont like Incognitos defense and although Berbatov, Moses and Johnson dont scare many defences they will be good enough to do something against the likes of Coleman or Figueroa. At the other end Rooney and Lennon could be dangerous, but Vidic and Ferdinand with Carrick and Viera in front of them are all quality enough to give hope of a clean sheet.

Just on the point of my defence here. Only berbatov is a goalscoring threat in eugeneious team. According to wiki Adam Jognson has 38 goals in 250 games and Moses has 23 in 164. Not totally inspiring when you seem to think he has enough to trouble my 'weak' defence.

Looking for them two in last seasons assist table and I cant find them which means they both have less than 6. eugeneious is strong midfield but up front hes pretty toothless

Edit: Actually hes not too great at the back either with Oshea and R.Taylor. IMO my defence isn't that much worse, if at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Agree that eugenious doesnt have the scoring threat so voted for IncognitoMan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Incgonito Man's team is going to get murdered in midfield and enugenious' forwards will beat a mediocre defense.

eagle eye were you not saying earlier in this draft that people should not be picking long term injured players. So do you not feel this way about vidic. Does hes side not suffer from that or have you changed your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Incognito Man's attack is the difference here and poses alot more threat than eugeneious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Incognito Man imo, he will simply score more goals. Podolski, Lennon, Rooney and Cole will provide a far superior threat in comparison to Moses, Johnson and Berbatov. All three of eugeneious' front line are unreliable and would struggle to score consistently despite having a solid all round team. You'd expect at least a goal or two a game with Rooney and Cole in your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

And Incognito Man wins 4-3. Unlucky eugeneious and thanks for participating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement