Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faro/Albufeira/Vilamoura - where to stay?

• 15-12-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

Just popping over to Faro next week for a short break (4 days). Anyone any recommendations of where to stay? It's just for a 4 days - and travelling alone.

Should I stick with Faro or would Albufeira make a better base?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Personally, for a trip like that I'd go to Vilamoura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Personally, for a trip like that I'd go to Vilamoura.
    Thanks for that Peppa. What's the difference between Vilamoura and Faro or Albufeira?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

All three are nice. Faro is a city type experience. Albufeira is the holiday experience. Vilamoura lives up to the hype, great harbour, more upmarket hotels and restaurants, more expensive mind you.
    You're not really going to do the beach think in December and a lot of Albufeira will be closed.

I can't really recommend a specific place to stay, having only stayed in Albufeira but have been to the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

for a short 4 day trip, Vilamoura or Albufeira would be ideal. Vilamoura is upmarket alright, all the bars and restaurants are located around the beautiful harbour. A lot of the bars and restaurants close for the winter season around the algarve, however as Albufeira is one of the larger towns, you will always find places open, especially around the old town square. I personally wouldn't stay in Faro. Hire a car cheaply from Faro and explore a little if you'd be into that. I would recommend the Vila Gale in Albufeira. Nice hotel with good facilities and only 5 minutes walk to the old town square!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I'd go to Lagos! Stunning beaches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hi all. Thanks for posting. I went in a completely different direction entirely as it transpired.

Just had the afternoon/evening to spend on the first day - so just chilled out in Faro. Had a mooch around, some good food and a few helpings of 'Super Bock'. Day2 - got up at the crack of dawn and bused it up to Porto. Well impressed with it - plenty of character. Day 3 - dropped down to Lisbon. Again, was quite surprised (didn't have the expectation of it being as impressive as it actually is).
    Day 4 - didn't want to head back to Faro. Was trying to sort out a one way rental car from Lisbon - so that I could shack up in Albufeira. Whilst availability was no issue - and the rental was for peanuts - I couldnt access it - as they wouldn't accept my visa debit card (had to be a credit card). Albufeira would only have worked had I had a car to get back to the airport so early (7am) the next morning. I was trying to avoid Faro - as, although it served its purpose on the first day, I didn't think there was a whole lot going on - and didn't warrant a second day. However, how wrong I was! Things seemed very quiet indeed - and then at 11-12, the locals seemed to team into the bars. Ended up on the lash with a few of the locals until 5am in the morning!

Booked all accommodation on the fly - with the use of booking.com - and in fact, with the exception of Lisbon, I didn't actually put the booking through - just turned up (I figured that with it being very much low season, there was no demand - so no need).
    Weather was great - Full sun on Days1 & 4. Days 2 & 3 were overcast - but no rain. It was actually very comfortable/pleasant to travel with it being 15-20C. If there are cheap flights to be had this time next year, would definitely consider taking off in the same timeframe.

Advertisement