Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-humidified humidor

Options
  • 15-12-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there,

Has anyone tried using a humidor without a humidifier? The R.H. in the house seems always to be in the region of 75% + so I'm wondering to what extent the ambient R.H. will affect the R.H. in the humidor? It has a good seal and I've calibrated the hygrometer so it's definitely giving accurate readings. R.H. is always fairly high in Ireland so is there any need for a humidifier given the circumstances I describe?

I have a 75 ct humidor and have only 10 cigars in it at the moment and the hygrometer was reading close to 90% R.H. when I checked it after having the cigars in there for about a fortnight. I realise that the humidor is designed for more cigars and that if it was closer to being full the R.H. would probably come down quite a bit after a while but since I smoke only once in a while I won't be adding any more for at least a couple of months. In the meantime I've removed the humidifier (an acryl polymer fleece) and put in as many of the cedar strips that come with tubes as will comfortably fit and the R.H. is coming down but is still at about 76%. I should also mention that I used a polyethylene glycol solution to hydrate the fleece which is not recommended and may well have something to do with the elevated R.H levels. Hopefully someone can give me some advice as I have no experience of this kind - thanks in advance - Saabster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Just a question in relation to the humidor.

Did you treat that prior to putting your cigars in.

It will make a difference if you take out the humidity source. The cedar strips will help to lower humidity.
    Just be careful of mould make sure your temp is about 16c no more than 18c until you get the humidity sorted.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

If it was a new humidor, then it would require seasoning. This is moistening the complete inside of the humidor with distilled water with a new sponge, twice. Then left to reach the correct humidity level. In Ireland you will find that you may not require the humidifiers to be added at first as it will probably read too high.

If its reading too high, just leave the humidor open for an evening then close it up again at night. It will gradually come right in a few days, don't rush it. Once its reached approx 70% humidity or below it will be fine to put in your cigars. Leave the humidor alone for at least a day before opening again. Check the level, if its dipped a little, thats fine, if its dipped a huge amount, then put in a humidifier to bring it back up again, but leave in the cigars, as you need the level to be right with the cigars in. If the level has dropped, then it would mean that the cigars have soaked up the moisture inside the humidor and require more moisture or humidity.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

Just gonna pull up an old thread rather than make a new one.

I've been trying to set up my humidor the last few weeks. I seasoned it and let it settle, It was around the 70 mark so I loaded it up and let it settle again. Had to leave it open a few times and take out the humidifier in the end. It keeps creeping up, my max reading yesterday was 80% and Im worried about mould.

Do the packs work for anyone? The next thing I'm going to try is the unscented silica kitty litter to see if I can steady it out. Guess I just want to hear what setups people have here at home and any advice for maintaining a steady RH in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DizzyOC

Joeyde wrote: »
    Just gonna pull up an old thread rather than make a new one.

I've been trying to set up my humidor the last few weeks. I seasoned it and let it settle, It was around the 70 mark so I loaded it up and let it settle again. Had to leave it open a few times and take out the humidifier in the end. It keeps creeping up, my max reading yesterday was 80% and Im worried about mould.

Do the packs work for anyone? The next thing I'm going to try is the unscented silica kitty litter to see if I can steady it out. Guess I just want to hear what setups people have here at home and any advice for maintaining a steady RH in Dublin.

It's fine to have a humidor running anywhere from 72% up to 78% for ageing your cigars. Move the cigars that you will be smoking over the next few weeks into another, smaller humidor that runs at 70%. Seventy is the best for smoking, a little higher for the ageing process. Temperature shouldn't get above 70F.

If you don't have a second humidor, you can simply take out your cigar an hour or two before you wish to smoke it to let it settle. But that's obviously dependent on room temperature, cigar size etc... alter accordingly.

If the humidity is staying at 80% inside a full humidor then close off some of the openings on the humidifier to help reduce outflow. Also, check that your hydrometer is working correctly. Maybe use a second one to compare.

All cigars are different and respond differently, but the above is a good rule of thumb. Feel your cigars every now and again to see how they're doing and up or down the humidity accordingly. Soft yet springy and oily is the target. You don't want to hear cracking when you squeeze them. Rotate the cigars in your humidor fairly regularly too.

Also see manufacturers' websites regarding specific cigars and their recommendations for ideal storage. They are often a little different but if you want to buy a couple of boxes at once then maybe buy two that would align conveniently, storage-wise.

Cigars will usually always need a few months in a humidor at a little over 70 before they are ready for smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

Thanks for that.

Just to update, I took out the humidifier completely and it took about 2 weeks for the humidity to settle to 70. So it was seasoned and and has no humidifier in it and after a few weeks it runs between 68 and 75, checked every week or so. The temp fluctuates a but low but it seems ok.

Ill see how it is in the summer, probably different. I acquired some silica beads from some packets of nori seaweed as well so they are on standby if it increases too much. Seems the Irish humidity is about right without too much messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 receyman

Joeyde wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Just to update, I took out the humidifier completely and it took about 2 weeks for the humidity to settle to 70. So it was seasoned and and has no humidifier in it and after a few weeks it runs between 68 and 75, checked every week or so. The temp fluctuates a but low but it seems ok.

Ill see how it is in the summer, probably different. I acquired some silica beads from some packets of nori seaweed as well so they are on standby if it increases too much. Seems the Irish humidity is about right without too much messing.

That sounds perfect to me, I too agree that Ireland has good natural humidity.....if not too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Guy

Been looking over this and one thing that really jumps out here is the 75 humidity.
    Whoever said that is good for aging needs to check their data.
    If you walk into most cigar stores. They are actually more on the side if 60 humidity and that is the process of storage and display.
    Once you sart getting into the high 70's you stand the potential of splitt and cracks on your stick.

You might want to consider your location of humidor or even investing in beads to reduce your Humidity.
    Also what kind of hygromter are tou using and has it been calibrated lately. That might also be a problem, remwmber even if it is digital it could be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

I bought these two hygrometers and the cheaper one from ebay has been spot on 75% three times with the salt test

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/162112156395?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Its designed for a reptile tank, the air inlet is at the rear, so it cant be stuck to the inner surface of the humidor.

This has great reviews for accuracy. I've done a 16hour salt test twice and after 6 hours it settled at 73% and 77%, but thats probably good enough
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UL055FO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I bought my first small humidor a few weeks ago and wiped it down with a sponge that was too wet, but I think its ok now. I've ordered some 69% bovida packs from amazon which should arrive this week so should be able to stock it soon.

Advertisement