Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW TO TRIM.Broadband???????

Options
  • 15-12-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to Trim and new to Boards.ie, so looking for some local Knowledge. I am looking for Broadband/phone in Kilbride, Trim. Have been reading some reviews on eircom and Digiweb and not impressed tbh. Not sure if there are other providers? Can any one give me a nudge in the right direction? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wnut3

Anyone.................????????????????????????
    moving in monday so need it sorted asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Probably every provider is going to use Eircom lines anyhow. Carphone warehouse or vodafone in Navan might be the best places to look IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cggreene

Sad to say Eircom is the best, although what really annoys me is that if you lived in neighboring town Navan, you could get 150mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭All4shopping

I leave just outside Trim town and found coverage on vodafone terrible, maybe wait for sky broadband?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Obviously UPC is not going to be an option, so you are looking at DSL (broadband over your phone line), 3G (mobile broadband from the likes of O2/Vodafone etc.) or wireless broadband.

I've no idea what any of the wireless broadband operators are like around here. I used Vodafone 3G as a backup, and I'd only use it as a backup as it's not great (even though I get a good signal). I just think 3G broadband is pretty crap tbh - certainly ping times are awful, so anything that needs good pings like Skype etc. you can pretty much forget about it.

I use Vodafone for my home broadband also and overall it's been pretty good - I get a solid 12Mb down (am on the 24Mb package but live around 2km from the exchange) and very good pings. Only problem with DSL is the crap upload speed. Would love UPC but it's not in our estate, even though the estate about 30 feet behind me has it! Any provider using the Eircom lines will give you the same results pretty much, they are just reselling Eircom broadband - so check the pricing and go with what works out best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hi wnut3 and welcome to the area,

I am in the Kilbride area also. Broadband isn't great in the area and has taken us a long time to get it. When we got it first we were told our line would take it, but after getting the router there was no such luck. Spent ages trying to get it and eventually we did. You will be extremely lucky to get more than 1.5mb's. Neighbours of mine have eircom, we have Vodafone. It's alright could be a bit faster but much better than the dial-up!!! :rolleyes:

Although as we a far from the exchange and if you are living across from the school you might have to check with regards to a shared phone line. Also I have a friend you lives on this side of Dunderry who cannot get boardband and cannot pick up a wireless signal.

So you may want to check around with neighbours etc to see.

If you have any problems or questions about the area feel free to ask, welcome and good luck :D

Thanks guys, sorry for no reply but we did the BIG MOVE, so was busy!!!!! I'm using a dongle at the moment o2, but its only temporary, I'll check with the neighbours Karkar, thanks for the advice x

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hey wnut3,

It was only after I posted up the first time that I remembered that there is a family living close to the school that also have vodafone broadband which is around the 1/1.5mb's that everyone seems to get in the area. :o

Also another thought that came to mind if you have a smartphone or a laptop let is scan on the wifi and see what it picks up. It might give you an idea what company your neighbours are using!!! ;):p

Smart Lady Karkar..............unfortunately my phone doesn't seem to be making the move too well!!! No internet connection on my phone and my signal isn't great either...................think I'll be changing providers for my mobile too! I'm 3 mobile............and the smart phone has just become extremely dumb!

Advertisement