Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swim watches

• 15-12-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi all, im looking to purchase a swim watch for myself for training purposes and motivation. I have been looking at three different models, Timex Ironman 150, speedo swimmovate pro and the garmin swim watch. Out of the three the Timex seems to be good value for money for counting laps but the garmin swim seems to provide detailed stats on a swim etc that you can hook up to a computer. Im asking this as I want to track progress as I have an idea for a charity event that Im thinking of organising and doing. Any and all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

They all look like good watches. I've been using a Casio G-Shock to time my swims for a while now. It isn't advanced as some of the swimwatches you mentioned there but it has a good stopwatch and as well as that it has a split-time function. Always found it to be a good watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I've a Garmin Swim, and am pretty happy with it. It's of most use for counting lengths on a long, steady swim. The screen is clear and is easy enough to read underwater. It hasn't dropped too many lengths in the month I've used it, and when it does its because of some variance in my stroke (stopping mid-length or whatever). Backstroke and breaststoke are mixed up for recognition, but I'm mainly doing freestyle anyway.

Analysing shorter reps is handy on the Garmin Connect website, but it can be difficult hitting the lap button at times, so that might add a second or two. There's no vibrate or buzzer function for mid-swim feedback, which I would have liked. The Garmin 910xt has this (as well as Open Water GPS tracking), but is more expensive and is prone to the screen fogging. If the fogging issue wasn't there, I'd have got the 910xt for OW data, but for a pool watch I'm happy with the Garmin Swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Thanks mate, that helps, im a slow and steady swimmer, front crawl. I have gotten back into it. I want it for training and to monitor progress, particularly as Im thinking of doing and organising a charity swim which would be the distance from dover to calais, ie the channel swim haha. Thanks for the heads up
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I've a Garmin Swim, and am pretty happy with it. It's of most use for counting lengths on a long, steady swim. The screen is clear and is easy enough to read underwater. It hasn't dropped too many lengths in the month I've used it, and when it does its because of some variance in my stroke (stopping mid-length or whatever). Backstroke and breaststoke are mixed up for recognition, but I'm mainly doing freestyle anyway.

Analysing shorter reps is handy on the Garmin Connect website, but it can be difficult hitting the lap button at times, so that might add a second or two. There's no vibrate or buzzer function for mid-swim feedback, which I would have liked. The Garmin 910xt has this (as well as Open Water GPS tracking), but is more expensive and is prone to the screen fogging. If the fogging issue wasn't there, I'd have got the 910xt for OW data, but for a pool watch I'm happy with the Garmin Swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

+1 on the Garmin swim.

I've found having a very definite turn around on each length helps the watch recognise the start of a new lap. You can also use a rest timer to help you if you are doing swim sets off a particular rest period.

Advertisement