Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hartstown/Blakestown

Options
  • 15-12-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

What are peoples experience of living around there? My main concerns are break-ins and scrotes hanging around hassling people. Not familiar with those places at all but know other parts of the greater blanch area and there can be big differences between areas. Some are real nice and others I wouldn't ever want to live there.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Bad opinion have: Mulhuddart, Corduf, Walkinstown, Hartstown/Blakestown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

:rolleyes:

Hartstown is fine, so is Blakestown.

January wrote: »

+1. Every Dublin suburb has the problems the OP listed. Nothing stands out about D15 areas in particular IMO.

Nothing wrong with 90% of D15. There is a couple of places I wouldn't like to live through (again, like every Dublin suburb).

+1. Every Dublin suburb has the problems the OP listed. Nothing stands out about D15 areas in particular IMO.

Nothing wrong with 90% of D15. There is a couple of places I wouldn't like to live through (again, like every Dublin suburb).

I probably live in the 10% you wouldn't live in, believe me, it's not half as bad as people make it out to be. At least, not anymore, reputations stick though so I can understand where people are coming from.

I probably live in the 10% you wouldn't live in, believe me, it's not half as bad as people make it out to be. At least, not anymore, reputations stick though so I can understand where people are coming from.
    I mean the Castlecurragh area. Only reason I wouldn't live there is a family member had multiple bad experiences when they got a home up there. However, that was quite a few years ago and I have a couple of friends who live close by and have no problems, so probably has improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Living in a cul de sac off the Hartstown loop and have been very happy for years. There's often kids hanging about the shops at the Eurospar in the evening but I've never seen trouble from them, there is sports clubs in the area and regular activites in the community centre for kids so there's no issues I've seen of gangs roaming about with nothing to do but make trouble.

I never see teenagers hanging about street corners or drinking, dont see stolen cars or the like whizzing around. Have never had a break in. Have never been harassed or troubled when out walking in the area. We experienced one crime first hand (hubbys motorbike stolen, but it was done on a night with others in the area and was a well planned job targetting bike owners and those can happen anywhere in the country) in +7yrs of living here.

On the flipside, close to the city with good transport for work commute when I needed it. Husband works in a tech company based locally. Close to Blanch Centre. Wide selection of schools, parks, sports clubs and plenty of local amenities. Strong community with nice neighbours and plenty of other children in the area. Affordable houses of a good quality build.

Pros far far out number the cons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Ah come on! Walkinstown is a lovely part of dublin 15 :pac:

They must have been using apple maps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

KGLady wrote: »
    Living in a cul de sac off the Hartstown loop and have been very happy for years. There's often kids hanging about the shops at the Eurospar in the evening but I've never seen trouble from them, there is sports clubs in the area and regular activites in the community centre for kids so there's no issues I've seen of gangs roaming about with nothing to do but make trouble.

I never see teenagers hanging about street corners or drinking, dont see stolen cars or the like whizzing around. Have never had a break in. Have never been harassed or troubled when out walking in the area. We experienced one crime first hand (hubbys motorbike stolen, but it was done on a night with others in the area and was a well planned job targetting bike owners and those can happen anywhere in the country) in +7yrs of living here.

On the flipside, close to the city with good transport for work commute when I needed it. Husband works in a tech company based locally. Close to Blanch Centre. Wide selection of schools, parks, sports clubs and plenty of local amenities. Strong community with nice neighbours and plenty of other children in the area. Affordable houses of a good quality build.

+1 never had any issues, I've walked home at 1am to hartstown from blakestown and its been the quietest walk never had a hassle. The odd spot of bother with maybe cars speeding along but otherwise never had any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Never had an ounce of trouble. Seems to me from listening to colleagues at work and friends, they have had more trouble in more desireable areas of the city as some would call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Moved to Rusheeney in October. Addressed as Clonsilla, it's more Hartstown I reckon but not a budge since I moved in.

I moved from Corduff and to be honest I didn't have any trouble there either.

It seems the easier targets are always on the receiving end of anti-social behavior no matter where they live, and I say easy targets - I mean it in the nicest possible way.

Old people, people visiting relatives, people in hospital etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

I grew up in in that area and went to school in Hartstown, never had a problem. I'd actually say it was rougher 10 years ago than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

KGLady wrote: »

I live in Hartstown too, in a cool de sac as well,and everything is fine, kids playing on the street, nice community nothing to complaint about. When someone tried to to burglar my house, (those fellas are not from Harstown, they are targetting all d15 and i heard that now they moved to Leixlip area) all the neighbours offered help, and were really sympathetic. So my suggestion is, if you want to move in Hartstown, do it with no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

Cheers folks for all the replies. Boards comes in handy for sussing out the strangest things :-) Houses are great value out there at the moment. Ironically I'm moving from Dublin 7 which is much rougher than most places!

I'm so glad I went out every weekend during the Celtic Tiger and wasn't mature enough to save the money for a house. I came out of it with no debt, blessed to have a job and a ridiculously cheap property market. During the Celtic tiger I had resigned myself to never being able to afford a gaff.

Life is wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wouldn't describe both as 'fine'
    - certainly not the worst areas in Ireland to live in. Far worse places make the list above blakestown/hartstown. But lets be honest... Both are far from fine.

- Increase of burglaries.
    - How many times has Lidl Blakestown been robbed?
    - There was a pipe bomb found in Whitestown Drive a year ago. (Drug related)
    - Someone got shot in Hartstown this year (drug related)
    - While certainly not as bad as in the 90s. You still get the odd joyriders and burned out cars.

You get that everywhere though. Pipe bombs in are rampant in this city at the moment, it's not just D15 that are experiencing this. There's stabbings/shootings all over the city too. There's robberies in Post Offices and shops all over the place. You can attribute all those things to any area in Dublin at the moment.

You get that everywhere though. Pipe bombs in are rampant in this city at the moment, it's not just D15 that are experiencing this. There's stabbings/shootings all over the city too. There's robberies in Post Offices and shops all over the place. You can attribute all those things to any area in Dublin at the moment.

I dont hear the same for Castleknock. Do you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-seize-shotguns-and-cocaine-at-house-in-castleknock-377107-Mar2012/
    TWO MEN HAVE been arrested after gardaí seized shotguns and drugs at a house in Castleknock in Dublin during a planned search.

Morag wrote: »

Geez :pac:
    There seems to be ALOT of people defending it :confused: For the record I grew up in the area. It aint "fine" - its not some dog rough place at the same time too. But again, not "fine and dandy" ... Has anyone actually live in blakestown?

But seeing as how we are playing "lets search google" ;) Whitestown:

- Murder
    - Dad of one killed in Blaze
    - Man shot in the face

"Ah sure but you get that in every area" - does anyone know the size of whitestown on here? Has anyone actually BEEN in whitestown on here?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, let's keep it friendly please. The only cards I want to be giving out this week are Christmas cards.

You forgot mine so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You forgot mine so.

I believe An Post is swamped at the moment. I'm sure it'll arrive any day now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There seems to be ALOT of people defending it :confused: For the record I grew up in the area. It aint "fine" - its not some dog rough place at the same time too. But again, not "fine and dandy" ... Has anyone actually live in blakestown?

- Murder
    - Man shot in the face

"Ah sure but you get that in every area" - does anyone know the size of whitestown on here? Has anyone actually BEEN in whitestown on here?

Yes, it is a rather large estate, I know several people who live there and never had any hassle.

As for your links, the first one is over 6 years old, the second the fire was rule to be an accident and as for the 3rd one that was a row between family members. It's an old co council estate which had slowly been bought out by people so that over 1/3 of it is privately owned and the estate management are quick to move out people who cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

- Murder
    - Man shot in the face

I live in the area and i wouldnt live in Whitestown. The houses seem too close to each other ( and i dont mean side by side ) and the roads narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cth123

Im interested in buying a house in Meadow Drive, Hartstown - would be very interested if you had constructive feedback on this part of Hartstown? Thanks so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Its a very quiet spot, The road into Rusheeny used to have boy racers doing handbreakers on it but theres 4 ramps along it now so all quiet.

Its on the 39 stop so plenty of buses
    Its across the road from The Hartstown community school 5 min walk from Hartstown primary school
    Theres nice parks beside Castlewood through to Ongar and Littlepace (some kids on scramblers there during the summer though)
    The Hartstown park is right beside there too with a new all weather football pitch aswell as all the other pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ela.kret

Cth123 wrote: »
    Im interested in buying a house in Meadow Drive, Hartstown - would be very interested if you had constructive feedback on this part of Hartstown? Thanks so much.

did you buy the house at the end? We are currently thinking about buying in Meadow dale and would love to get more feedback on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I live at the back of it, in Rusheeney.

The Meadow area is a well settled area. Built in and around 83/84.

It's generally quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ela.kret

thanks @chucknorris

Advertisement