Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIR GUN/PCP SHOOTING

• 15-12-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering is there many/any air gun shooting competions in ireland. shooting since i was a kid "on&off" but got in on the air gun shooting about 12 months ago and have really got hooked on it, follow a guy in the states called "tedsholdover" and was watching a video link he had up of a air gun shooting comp called "extreme bench rest shooting" and would love to see something like this here even for jus like minded people to meet up and share tips/experiences ect ect.............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭vincentf

Lovta, hope to get an air rifle next year to take out some magpies, rooks etc that are a plenty near the house and in the fields close by. Have you shot much vermin with your air gun. What type of a set up have you got for yourself. What is the average cost for second hand airguns, have you seen the chap on YouTube called hunters vermin, great vids. Looks like great craic !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Hunters field target (hft or ft ) seems to be popular in the uk, N.I. , but is anyone shooting it down here or is it verboten like everything else fun ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There doesn't seem to be much field air rifle shooting in the ROI rowa; most of the airgun target shooting here is 10m ISSF shooting (which is in a pretty healthy state at the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Waiting on a Weirauch HW100 for nearly a year now can't wait until it arives, its a pity theres no FT over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

have one my self why are you waiting so long on it, i got mine out of the north and even with getting a import licence aswell it only took 2-3 months

• Advertisement

Thats what i use it for mainly hunting feathered vermin.
    Have a HW100 .22Cal with surpressor very accurate gun can kill out to 100m in the right hands.
    Good 2nd ones seem like hens teeth so i bought mine new "Buy once,Buy well" with a 2nd hand air tank the whole lot cost me about £1000 sterling.The gun itself cost around the £700 sterling mark if i rem right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I'm trading in a .223 for it and the dealer is waiting on a big order of them, they are made to order I'm told?

I done a good bit of reading on them and chose to get the HW100KT in .22, I'm not mad about the look of the thumbhole stock but I think it will be more comfortable as I prefer a bit of a pistol grip.

What pellets are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

loveta wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering is there many/any air gun shooting competions in ireland. shooting since i was a kid "on&off" but got in on the air gun shooting about 12 months ago and have really got hooked on it, follow a guy in the states called "tedsholdover" and was watching a video link he had up of a air gun shooting comp called "extreme bench rest shooting" and would love to see something like this here even for jus like minded people to meet up and share tips/experiences ect ect.............

I watch that fella too. Edgun USA is the guy I think, seriously good shooter.

Would love to see more Air gunning down here too. Ive an FAC AirArms for hunting and love it! I have done a few bits to it and its seriously accurate with loads of usable power.

Its nice that it can adjust the power to the situation too which makes it very versatile.

I use JSB Exact jumbo heavy pellets and get great results and at 18.3gr they have a nice punch.

Here is a pic [URL="[IMG]http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss45/amadablam/IMG_1138.jpg[/IMG]"]LINK[/URL]

Would like a 12 ft/lb too if there was comps available.

Sparks wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much field air rifle shooting in the ROI rowa; most of the airgun target shooting here is 10m ISSF shooting (which is in a pretty healthy state at the moment).

I don't know why as ft looks to be great fun, would the range inspectors insist on the same levels of range safety for ft as for .22 rimfire shooting though ? Eg. Baffles and large backstops ? It would sort of kill it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-lmmTgL3gQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have tried alot of brands and ended up with what i was told would be the best from the very start "Bisley Magnum Baracuda's" very very tight groups.They also are "less" volatile in cross winds.
    As for the dealer telling you he has to wait on a big order i think he is filling ya with BS had mine in less than a week and had to get it threaded for a surpressor and a mate considered buying one a few months later and he was told a week wait aswell so something does n add up there :0/

• Advertisement

I have tried alot of brands and ended up with what i was told would be the best from the very start "Bisley Magnum Baracuda's" very very tight groups.They also are "less" volatile in cross winds.
    As for the dealer telling you he has to wait on a big order i think he is filling ya with BS had mine in less than a week and had to get it threaded for a surpressor and a mate considered buying one a few months later and he was told a week wait aswell so something does n add up there :0/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    I don't know why as ft looks to be great fun, would the range inspectors insist on the same levels of range safety for ft as for .22 rimfire shooting though ? Eg. Baffles and large backstops ? It would sort of kill it
    I don't know - it's outdoors which might be a problem (which is something they're very concerned about in Scotland at the moment I gather). But in the ROI, we only ever had 10m ISSF-style shooting really, FT never got going here. (I say ISSF-style because you have the ISSF stuff itself and then you have the Pony club and now the Pentathlon folks, but their events are so close to ours that we use all the same kit and we've helped coach and judge their events for years now, and we try to poach their shooters as they finish with the Pony Club :D )

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't know - it's outdoors which might be a problem (which is something they're very concerned about in Scotland at the moment I gather). But in the ROI, we only ever had 10m ISSF-style shooting really, FT never got going here. (I say ISSF-style because you have the ISSF stuff itself and then you have the Pony club and now the Pentathlon folks, but their events are so close to ours that we use all the same kit and we've helped coach and judge their events for years now, and we try to poach their shooters as they finish with the Pony Club :D )

Scotland and current proposals are worrying UK shooters very much.

Shall be interesting to see how it is all handled considering the amount of 'air gunners' over there and also the size of the economic impact of the industry itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

murph226 wrote: »
    Waiting on a Weirauch HW100 for nearly a year now can't wait until it arives, its a pity theres no FT over here.

waiting a year??? the hell with that - I had mine in 2 weeks from putting the deposit on it, the auld boy the same (he has the KT in .22, I've the T FAC in .177).

Bis-mag, H&N Barracuda and JSB Exact Heavy are all the same pellet in .177 caliber, there's likely a similar story with the .22's but I'm not as up to speed on them - in any case, I'd have to agree, any of the above work better than anything else I've tried in my unit.

As for the dealer BS - sounds likely alright.

The two HW's we have came from Aim & Swing in Mountnugent - might be worth giving Ian a bell(having said that, I've not been up with him for a while and the latest reports on here suggest that his air stock has dwindled somewhat of late).

Treid ian in aim and swing but could not/would not get me a price on a thumb hole stock and arsed about for a month waiting on him, "was not like that a few years ago" when got rifle of him or other stuff.Does not seem to be as well stocked as before either :o(
    Bought the long barrel version which is heavy and awkard free hand often wondered would i have being better going with the short version.Any views ???????????

murph226 sent ya PM of the guy i bought of you should try him two.

Treid ian in aim and swing but could not/would not get me a price on a thumb hole stock and arsed about for a month waiting on him, "was not like that a few years ago" when got rifle of him or other stuff.Does not seem to be as well stocked as before either :o(
    Bought the long barrel version which is heavy and awkard free hand often wondered would i have being better going with the short version.Any views ???????????

you're not the first person I've heard a story like that from in the last few months... real shame, he was gettin' enshrined as the go to guy for air rifles up until this.

I agree on the FAC barrell, it doesn't handle nearly as nicely in the field as the KT - have had that exact same thought several times.

As an aside, I believe the outfit in Mullingar, Outdoor sports or something similar, are stocking all the newest toys from Daystate now. The auld boy was in with them a few weeks back and was mightily impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

The two HW's we have came from Aim & Swing in Mountnugent - might be worth giving Ian a bell(having said that, I've not been up with him for a while and the latest reports on here suggest that his air stock has dwindled somewhat of late).[/QUOTE]

I was on to him 2 weeks ago and he had only 1 HW in the shop and that was sold

Thats funny he had one there when i was looking to buy one and it was sold aswell, told him what i wanted said he would have a price in a couple of days and would ring me, a month later no price and i had rang him two or three times "still waiting for the call" :0). Got the long barrel and" i think the tank is bigger than the karbine" for the extra ft.lb and range but my limits for shooting semi free hand (of a wall/bale/barrier ect) is about 50-60m so maybe should have went with the karbine. I wonder could you or would it fit put the short barrel on it instead?? Any one ever do it or heard of it being done???

Got the long barrel and" i think the tank is bigger than the karbine" for the extra ft.lb and range but my limits for shooting semi free hand (of a wall/bale/barrier ect) is about 50-60m so maybe should have went with the karbine. I wonder could you or would it fit put the short barrel on it instead?? Any one ever do it or heard of it being done???

yup, the cylinder is shorter on the K models in order to leave enough space for the moderator.

50-60 is a long way out for an air rifle - can be done but at that range on 12 ft.lb you'll have a ballistic arc like a rainbow so unless you know the range to the meter, youd be pushing the field target limits.

Static target at a known range though, yeah, the k is a far nicer package to handle from a semi-supported position.

• Advertisement

Humm i suppose as the saying goes "ya cant have your cake AND eat it" i never crony ed the gun but i was told when buying it, it was at 30ft.lb
    I have it zero ed at 45m with a 4-16x50 scope powered at 9 but to shoot a target at 100m its a full 4 mil dots hold over so i can only image the curve with the other model :0/

If you know the full extent of the vertical travel over 100m, then given the weight of the round, it's pretty easy to establish a beermat approximation of the power output an air rifle.

{100/{SQRT(total vertical travel in meters/9.8)}}^2*(pellet mass in KG*0.74)/2=rough energy in Ft.Lb.

You're neglecting environmental effects and loss of energy in flight naturally, so it's purely a ballpark calculation, but it'll tell you whether the rifle is set for 30ft.lbs or for 12ft.lbs readily enough.

Incidentally, when I got my FAC, it was actually set for 12ft.lb instead of 25ft.lb (limit for the .177).

Hmm ya have me there 100M ........ 9.8??? ect ect lost after that :0(
    EDgun/tedholdover "youtube" reviewed the hw100 .17 at i think high 20s low30s ft.lbs was very unhappy with it reckoned the pellets were carrying to much energy leaving the gun making the pellet unstable you should look it up makes interesting viewing

EDgun/tedholdover "youtube" reviewed the hw100 .17 at i think high 20s low30s ft.lbs was very unhappy with it reckoned the pellets were carrying to much energy leaving the gun making the pellet unstable you should look it up makes interesting viewing

In November issue of Shooting Sports, Pete Moore took a bunny at 80 yards with 27 ft/lb Theoben using wind meter and ballistic app on phone.

To quote him 'fell over like it was hit by a rimfire' using a 14gr pellet.

Just goes to show that there is more potential in our guns than we realize. We can release it with plenty practice :)

Ive 30 ft/lb firing 18.3 but I havent attempted any shots that far but my groups to 40 yards have been very encouraging and surprised me at the power of a PCP

lol - the 100 value is the distance, 9.8 is acceleration due to gravity. Basically, the first term uses the total vertical travel over the distance in order to derive an approximation for the flight time of the bullet. This flight time is then used to establish the average velocity of the bullet.

From there you're into the standard kinetic energy equation which is half the mass by the velocity squared.

So you square the first term, and divide the mass by 2.

The 0.74 value is the conversion factor from Joules to Ft.Lbs.

As I said, it's a very rough calculation, but it'll get you to within 20% or so.

Attached photo may help.

IMG_20121222_115224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

Hi Tikkat3,

Is your Air Arms a 410 or 510 ? I am thinking of buying a S510 early next year. Had a look at the Weihrauch H100 T up with Cecil in Tannyoky (Newry) but i dont like the stock. Super rifle though. Where did you buy your Air arms ?

Loveta - all Air Rifle shooting is 10m range shooting here in South e.g. Wilkinstown, UCD & Trinity. You might try the rifle range down in Blueball in Offaly. Think there might be a place in Rahan, Offaly also. Supposedly there is somewhere up North starting FT shooting.

KE_MAN wrote: »
    Hi Tikkat3,

Is your Air Arms a 410 or 510 ? I am thinking of buying a S510 early next year. Had a look at the Weihrauch H100 T up with Cecil in Tannyoky (Newry) but i dont like the stock. Super rifle though. Where did you buy your Air arms ?

Hi KE,

Mine is the S410 FAC Xtra, great gun with power that can be adjusted from 6 ft/lb to 30 ft/lb.

It was completely standard but I had a custom stock made for it and it handles brilliantly now.

Here is a link to it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783730

• Advertisement

Jesus that is a fine stock could just picture myself "very easily" with that in my paws :o)

Jesus that is a fine stock could just picture myself "very easily" with that in my paws :o)

Thanks Loveta, it totally transformed the rifle in terms of handling and aesthetics.

made to my measurements by a guy who specializes in AirArms stocks and is a gent to deal with.

He is now doing laminate ones but I prefer the walnut and the grain :)

And here was me thinking i was de dogs bollox getting the thumb hole version of the HW100...LMFAO
    Whats the accuracy like with the gun or how do you gauge the hold over with reducing the power ect ect..

And here was me thinking i was de dogs bollox getting the thumb hole version of the HW100...LMFAO
    Whats the accuracy like with the gun or how do you gauge the hold over with reducing the power ect ect..

Hw100 is a lovely well regarded gun too and purty to boot :)

As for accuracy, I shoot the JSB jumbo exacts 18.3 gr all the time now. Once I have it zeroed on full power, I generally dont change the power without following up with a re zero.

I have no problems with accuracy either as I find it very steady and accurate in the hand and off the bipod.

This thread will show some groups I got but on a calm day:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804351

Advertisement