Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice!

• 15-12-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I am currently studying to be a physio and will graduate and be qualified in June.

On one of my placements, I performed extremely well, and got along very well with my supervisor. I have kept in touch with her and am currently helping her out on a project on a vlountary basis while studying.

I have been informed that the company are looking to expand and there will be a job available in the near future. My supervisor has told me that she is vouching for me and (for a number of reasons), I would be the right person for the job. She is hounding HR to hold off the recruitment process until I qualify.

I also believe that I would be an excellent addition to the team, and it would be my dream job.

My problem is, how can improve my chances of getting the position? Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation? I am hoping to get my project published, which will look good for the company, but does anyone have any tips on how to convince them that I am worth waiting for?

I am doing all I can for the company (voluntary work) and keeping in touch with my supervisor...but at the end of the day, is there anything I can do to convince them to wait for me?!

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok, not getting replies, so I'll rephrase the question!

If the above company start interviewing soon, are there any strategies I can use to convince them to wait for me until I qualify?

Has anyone been in a similar position?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I suppose it depends on how urgently they want the position filled. 6 months is a long time to keep a position open.

You are doing everything you can, keeping your hand in volunteering, keeping your supervisor onside to advocate for you. There really is nothing else you can do bar keeping fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Offer to start working on it part time / weekends to get up to speed while you finish your studies; not saying it's going to be easy on you but it shows you're willing to go the extra mile to get them some help right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If you do get to attend an interview:

Have a neatly typed list of the times in the week where you would be available for work.

If I was hiring, this would show eagerness to work for the company.

Worth a chance, they might be able to facilitate part time til you finish studying.

Edit: what Nody said :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nody wrote: »
    Offer to start working on it part time / weekends to get up to speed while you finish your studies; not saying it's going to be easy on you but it shows you're willing to go the extra mile to get them some help right now.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Never thought of that. I do believe I am doing all I can at the moment. I am already preparing for the interview and listing reasons why I'm worth waiting on. I hope I don't sound arrogant, but times are tough out there and this is an extremely rare opportunity.

Thanks for all your advice. I would welcome any more input from anyone else. Thanks again to the people who have replied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Write down everything. Get customers to fill in a very quick questionnaire (with bosses approval) or jot down positive feed back. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

hi could someone help me with some work related issue's,i am currently working 74 hours aweek for a courier company not including the 2 hour daily commute over 6 days,however i have asked for my hours to be reduced because of tiredness but im being ignored an its a case of put up or shut up,at this stage im on the brink of leaving within 2wks,have i any rights?? im being paid 90e after tax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

74h a week would be illegal, as would be 90 EUR after tax as it would breach minimum wage. Keep in mind you need to deduct your breaks from the 74h and your commute is your own problem.

thanks for ur post im only in the job 10 wks i get 45mins of a break but my boss is abit hot headed but if i included my commute it would be 86hours so what do i do???? ur advice is a huge helps thank you.

Contact NERA and discuss it in detail with them as no one here is in a position to give you better advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

An accident waiting to happen. 90 euro per 74 hour week is mad. It's pretty much slave labour, and you must be a hazzard on the road. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leave your commute out of it, it is irrelevant to your argument, you have a strong enough case already.

thanks for all ur advice i am leaving nxet week as my health is suffering and its madness the hours,thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

candycock wrote: »
    thanks for all ur advice i am leaving nxet week as my health is suffering and its madness the hours,thanks guys.

Sorry to hear that cc but just sometimes you have to look after yourself. Tbh dont get the argument often bandied that you should be 'lucky' to have a job. Those conditions are just not worth putting yourself in danger for.

Probably not much use but you might try reporting those nice people to NERA for their interest. Best of luck for the new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MOD NOTE:

Guys, when someone hijacks an existing thread to ask a new question, please don't respond. Instead, use the report post button and one of us will move it into a new thread.

This is for the sake of the original poster, and also because I suspect that the poster in this case is trolling (74 hours work for 90-euro ...yeah, right)

Advertisement