Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto Snax have changed- Now Wafter Thin

Options
  • 15-12-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

ABRgA.jpg

Can't believe they've changed them.

Not sure if the recipe has changed but they taste different.

I'm not the only one who's noticed, here's just a few comments from Tayto's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MrTayto?filter=2
    Hey guys what have you done to snax..they are thin as can be now and even taste different. Was my fav crisps untill you destroyed them....tut tut
    Between the Tayto Park stuff and now Changing Snax... You must be kamikaze!
    What's the story with tayto snax..they've changed man :/
    Mr tayto. What have you done to snax s??? there like wafer thin and taste diffrent my six year old daughter is very upset...
    Holy God!
    So I thought people were over exaggerating about the new Snax when I saw comments about it a week or so ago.

Today I opened up a Bumper Bundle of Tayto's and went for the Snax. I had totally forgotten the comments, didn't even look in the bag, just dove right in while watching a movie.

I had to pause the movie and look inside the bag to make sure I did in fact get a pack of Snax and to my horror saw that everything I'd read previously was true. What the hell have you done!?

They are so cheap and nasty, if I wanted something like this I would have bought a pack of Walker's Sunbites!
    Dear Mr. Tayto.
    If I had wanted to buy a pack of cheese and onion flavoured KP Skips, I would have endeavoured to do so.

But I actually wanted a pack of Tayto Snax. Imagine my surprise when I got home, opened the pack and saw that I had actually gotten a familiar Tayto Snax bag which appeared to be filled with the aforementioned KP Skips.

This impression was only re-enforced when I tentatively placed one of them in my mouth.

What have you done????

The texture, thickness and that essential Tayto Snax feeling that so uniquely defined the Tayto Snax is gone!

It doesn't taste the same either, but that's actually a minor inconvenience in comparison to the tactile disappointment that is now the Snax, sorry KP Skips, in mouth experience!

Please fix this travesty ASAP.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nooooooooo! They're one of my favourite crisps, unrivalled anywhere else in the world! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Had a few packs week or so ago, they seem kind of stale tasting now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tried them the other day, used to love these crisps, now they are absolute rip-off crap tasting rubbish, wont be buying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They are all at it...had Burger Bites yesterday and they sucked, pure oily gunk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corkgal27

just opened a bag! was disgusted!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

corkgal27 wrote: »
    just opened a bag! was disgusted!!! :(
    same here, i'm in my late 40's now... :o
    i love crisp's, savouries, etc, these were a staple of my childhood, introduced them to my kid's, they loved them, but the sh!te that they produce them as now are complete rubbish, and my offspring taste the difference, so much so that they don't want me to buy them any more,,,,,,
    My wife is happy that the kid's won't eat that
    "sh1te" any more, I'm sad that that part of my childhood is dead to the next generation....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Salty communion is an accurate description.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rhythm Ireland

Just had a pack - big let down!
    Last pack I'll be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Never liked them anyways. I remember my brother finding what looked like glass at the bottom of the bag when he was young.sent it back to tayto and they sent a postal order back for about 2 pound in 1993 saying it was some sort of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Horrible now like saw dust and the cheese and onion flavour has an awful
    after taste to it wont be buying another packet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

They tried this before a couple of years ago and ended up changing them back when they realised that everyone hated the new snax. Yet despite this they did it again. They have a contact section on their tayto.ie website and I would suggest if people feel strongly about it to simply tell the company that you are unhappy with the changed product. Enough complaints and they are bound to change back to the much tastier product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Agree, the change is a serious backward step. Lost their magic

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Had them last week they're minging, was hoping it was just a dodgy multi pack I bought. No more Snax sambos for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

TGJD wrote: »
    They tried this before a couple of years ago and ended up changing them back when they realised that everyone hated the new snax. Yet despite this they did it again. They have a contact section on their tayto.ie website and I would suggest if people feel strongly about it to simply tell the company that you are unhappy with the changed product. Enough complaints and they are bound to change back to the much tastier product.

They do have a contact section on their website.
    www.taytocrisps.ie and right down the very bottom of the page there's a CONTACT US section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

It's a travesty.

Worse than when moros changed to boost.

I emailed Tayto to complain about the difference in Snax and I received the following email:

Thank you for your E-Mail and apologies that you have a problem with one of our products. Yes we have made changes to the Tayto Snax product.

Late last year, following extensive testing and tasting, we released a trial of this new product into the market place to gauge consumer feedback. This product was well received and based on this we proceeded to launch the re-developed original Snax onto the market.

We regret that you have had cause to be dissatisfied with this product. We have had similar feedback from some other consumers. As a result we have investigated differences between our successful tests and our first production run. From this we believe there is an improvement that we will make to resolve the differences.

There is some information that we need from the pack for traceability purposes:-

Best Before Date Information;

Time (Below BBD);

Machine No. (Beside time);

On receipt of your reply we will send you out some samples to you from our next product run and we would appreciate some feedback on them. We hope this will allow you to continue to enjoy the product in the future.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

looks like they are not going to sort it out...just tweak the current receipe they need to get them back to the same thickness as before. the fact that they are so thin makes me stay away from them

Right, so I received a parcel from Tayto today.

It contained a 6-pack of Snax, a €5 giftcard for Tesco, a letter explaining they had enclosed a new batch of Snax, and a form asking me to rate the Snax on Appearance/Flavour/Texture.

They explained they removed the ridge from the middle of each Snax and although the texture is much better, the taste is very disappointing.
    So bland and no taste of cheese and onion at all.
    In fact, they reminded me of Skips!

They've said in their letter that if they receive positive feedback on this batch, they will be launching them in the shops in a few weeks, but I've stated on the form that they're still lacking flavour.

Nice of them to involve me in the taste process and to give me the giftcard, so hats off to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

fussyonion wrote: »
    Late last year, following extensive testing and tasting, we released a trial of this new product into the market place to gauge consumer feedback. This product was well received and based on this we proceeded to launch the re-developed original Snax onto the market.

And when you apply the corporate horsepoo filter to the above statement, its reads like this:

"Late last year, following extensive testing and tasting cost cutting strategies, we released a trial of this new cheaper to make product into the market place to gauge consumer feedback. This product was well received This product is now much cheaper for us to make and based on this we proceeded to launch the re-developed original cheaper to make Snax onto the market"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Looks like they haven't changed the recipe at all. They still taste really stale :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I wrote to Largo Foods in May complaining about their new version of Snax. They sent me the same letter mentioned earlier in the thread. Then out of the blue last week, a courier deposited a 6+3 free pack of Snax with a taste questionnaire. The covering letter said that they had listened to feedback and that this new version was hitting the shops in a few weeks.

Unfortunately they are still rubbish :mad: Thin and dense with a strong onion taste; they remain awful and do not resemble in any way the previous incarnation. I'll never buy them again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

tallpaul wrote: »
    I wrote to Largo Foods in May complaining about their new version of Snax. They sent me the same letter mentioned earlier in the thread. Then out of the blue last week, a courier deposited a 6+3 free pack of Snax with a taste questionnaire. The covering letter said that they had listened to feedback and that this new version was hitting the shops in a few weeks.

Unfortunately they are still rubbish :mad: Thin and dense with a strong onion taste; they remain awful and do not resemble in any way the previous incarnation. I'll never buy them again.

Make sure you send the feedback, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Can't be all taste buds changing with age, manufacturers are always on the lookout for making things cheaper to produce. Either sourcing cheaper ingredients, quicker processes or making the finished product marginally smaller and hoping the customer doesn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Got a bag today & thank god they are back like they were years ago mmmmm!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Had a back last week and loved them, they must be back to there old recipe as there the same as i last tasted them years ago.

Advertisement