Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Criticisms of Anime-influenced Animation

• 15-12-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think people look down on shows like Xiaolin Showdown, Teen Titans, Mummy's Alive! and Totally Spies?

I often hear them being criticized on the basis of "if I want anime, I'll watch real anime", real anime being Bleach, One Piece, Ghost In The Shell and the likes.

If you agree with this, would you say that such shows try to be anime and do badly at it, or do you just see them as American cartoons with more realistic-shaped characters who have four fingers?

Personally I have no problem with any of it, Xiaolin Showdown is one of my all-time favourite shows and I am very excited about it returning next year, I just see the American shows as being something different to watch along with the anime I also enjoy.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've personally never heard of them being criticized but I could definitely see hardcore anime fans taking digs at western animation.

I'm personally not a fan of most western animation (with the exception of 4/5 shows) but I have no problem of their existence. Western animation is normally geared up towards a happily ever after ending, or a plot that's straightforward with very little/no character growth. Asian anime tends to be more true to life, no matter if it's a mecha or comedy etc. Asian anime tends to jump out at you with plot twists, character progression and sometimes questionable endings, as well as situations that make you question your own judgement/moral stance.

That said, it sounds like I'm criticizing western animation. In a way I am, in a way I'm not. If someone won't watch an American cartoon show just down to the fact that it vaguely resembles asian anime, well that's their decision; it's just a very one dimensional thought and they can miss out on some great shows.

tl;dr, I agree with your last statement karaokeman. Nothing wrong with an american show or 2 on the side along with your asian shows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't really watch Western cartoons, but it's not from a snobbery perspective (I hope!) It's more that Western cartoons tend to be more kid-oriented while anime can have adult storylines and generally have a different "feel" that's not related to the animation style.

I like Invader Zim, Samurai Jack, Archer and the like, but if I want something deeper then I don't think the options are really there in Western animation (that I'm aware of any way). I can't see there being anything like Serial Experiments Lain coming from a Western studio, for example. But if there was, I would watch it. It wouldn't bother me that it was "Western" or "anime-influenced" rather than the "real deal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

There has been some excellent Western cartoons such as Batman, Spawn and even X-Men and tend to have anime influences. It was because of those shows I got into anime as they gave me more of what I got from those series.

I like Teen Titans, PowerPuff Girls and Totally Spies for the fun. Teen Titans had good character developement and very interesting villians. Even though people argue that Pokemon and Sailor Moon are kiddy animes as they touch on teenage stories it doesn't stop adults liking them and enjoying these series.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I havent really seen it, the reboot of Thundercats was heavily anime influence and was lauded for it

Advertisement