Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on moving off

• 15-12-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am doing my test in a few days and I have had different advise on moving off. One instructor said the right foot should be on the break and the left foot on the ground. Check mirror, indicate and off you go. (no need for shoulder checks) Another instructor said that both feet should be on the ground, mirror, indicate, shoulder check left and right and off you go. Who is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Xaime wrote: »
    I am doing my test in a few days and I have had different advise on moving off. One instructor said the right foot should be on the break and the left foot on the ground. Check mirror, indicate and off you go. (no need for shoulder checks) Another instructor said that both feet should be on the ground, mirror, indicate, shoulder check left and right and off you go. Who is right?

Many ppl will have different opinions on this. When I move off I will have left foot on the ground and the right foot covering the break. From lights etc i will pull off nice and smooth and i will always have a quick glance to both sides as im pulling off to make sure I know what's there. If pulling away from the side of the road a life saver is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

left foot down, right covering the brake, mirror, indicate, lifesaver, move off. thats what i was told on my IBT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was either instructor local to your test center? They usually know what the testers want. But saying no life safer when pulling off is wrong, you always have to check your blind spot before moving off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

For my test I had right foot down and left foot ready to change gear after moving off. Was never mentioned and I passed with no marks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Del2005 wrote: »
    Was either instructor local to your test center? They usually know what the testers want. But saying no life safer when pulling off is wrong, you always have to check your blind spot before moving off.

Yes one of them is local and I will go with his advice although it will take me some adjusting to change now as I was doing both feet on the ground. In other countries (ie Spain) they do not even bother about this but they generally have right foot on the ground and left foot on peg ready to engage gear,(like Corkgsxr does) which makes more sense to me. The annoying thing is there does not seem to be uniformity among instructors and probably testers either. So if you do your IBT in one place and and the Pre test course in another place you might get different advice. Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

serious3 wrote: »
    left foot down, right covering the brake, mirror, indicate, lifesaver, move off. thats what i was told on my IBT

I agree.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Yes one of them is local and I will go with his advice although it will take me some adjusting to change now as I was doing both feet on the ground. In other countries (ie Spain) they do not even bother about this but they generally have right foot on the ground and left foot on peg ready to engage gear,(like Corkgsxr does) which makes more sense to me. The annoying thing is there does not seem to be uniformity among instructors and probably testers either. So if you do your IBT in one place and and the Pre test course in another place you might get different advice. Thanks everyone

They must have no hills in Spain. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Different instructors have different views. Personally I will have left foot down, right foot on brake. Its good practice to be in 1st gear too obviously.

I wont name the motorbike school given this happened nearly 12 years ago, i had some lessons before my test from a well know driving school and had 2 different instructors. The first instructor told me that the create procedure when moving off is:

Indicate, mirror/blind spot then move

The other instructor gave out to me for doing this and told me I should mirror/blind spot first! Both from same driving school! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

oleras wrote: »
    They must have no hills in Spain. :pac:
    They have a front brake beside your right hand but I guess you would need to keep your right hand free in Limerick just in case :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The testers like to see you wheelie as you move off. So clutch in, full revs, then let go of the clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

serious3 wrote: »
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Cienciano wrote: »
    The testers like to see you wheelie as you move off. So clutch in, full revs, then let go of the clutch.

Quick 4 second burnout before the wheelie also impresses them, but if you are really drunk just stick with the wheelie. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

faceman wrote: »
    Different instructors have different views. Personally I will have left foot down, right foot on brake. Its good practice to be in 1st gear too obviously.

I wont name the motorbike school given this happened nearly 12 years ago, i had some lessons before my test from a well know driving school and had 2 different instructors. The first instructor told me that the create procedure when moving off is:

Indicate, mirror/blind spot then move

The other instructor gave out to me for doing this and told me I should mirror/blind spot first! Both from same driving school! :rolleyes:
    actually on this;

i'd indicate before looking myself. i find on the bike, a lot can happen in the split second between indicating and moving out so i'd rather look then move.

back on topic:

At lights, depends on how long they are red both right foot down, left on back brake (dont like sitting on my front brake) or else both feet down and bopping the tank with my hands :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Roadskill wrote: »
    +1

+2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One thing as I was thought, be looking behind as you start to move off. Don't have a look over the shoulder, look forward then move off or hey presto porsche in the face.

One thing as I was thought, be looking behind as you start to move off. Don't have a look over the shoulder, look forward then move off or hey presto porsche in the face.

Its mirrors ,shoulder check ,look forward then take your foot of the footbrake(rear brake) to move off
    simple really takes 1 to 2 seconds

Why would you not check your blind spot(shoulder check) before you move off

Its called a BLIND SPOT for a reason ie, you cant see into it with your mirrors

Again follow the basics of motorcyles "look where your going and you will go where you look"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Its mirrors ,shoulder check ,look forward then take your foot of the footbrake(rear brake) to move off
    simple really takes 1 to 2 seconds

Who said not to check your blind spot, I think you misunderstood me.
    In my way you start moving off while your turning your head back to looking forward.
    In your method your looking forward while moving off. So your moving off blind to what's behind you for 2 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you do a proper lifesaver, those 2 seconds will be irrelevant

/edit and on the flipside, you've 2 seconds of not looking where you are going during a very vulnerable maneouver (moving off). Get all sorts of numpties running across the road at the last minute etc, and you have responsibility to whats in front of you

Who said not to check your blind spot, I think you misunderstood me.
    In my way you start moving off while your turning your head back to looking forward.
    In your method your looking forward while moving off. So your moving off blind to what's behind you for 2 seconds.

Maybe you have missed my point

you have to look over your shoulder to check the blind spot

and you should not be moving forward while you are doing that

having checked your blind spot and turned your head to look forward then move (about .5 of a second)

What i was saying in the original post that the whole manouvre would take one to two seconds

The whole manouvre is putting the bike into gear,mirrors ,shoulder check.life saver and move

So for you to say i am blind to whats behind me for two seconds is incorrect

with your method you are looking one direction whilst driving in another (not good) even for a second, because if the car in front jammed on as you were checking over your shoulder while at the same time the bike is moving forward you could end up as a bumber sticker

Advertisement