Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Survey - Phone Scam\Spam

Options
  • 15-12-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Variation on a theme.

Currently, the number: 00 44 20304450

The line seems dead for 30 seconds as the automated dialer routes your call around the call center. In my case, a woman with an Indian accent takes up the call, with plenty of other activity in the background, calls etc..

I am calling about the 'Anglo Survey', to see how Irish people are managing with the recession.

English is a bit off and it is obviously scripted.

Usual tat, trying to extract as much personal information from you, including setting up some sort of very very vague arrangement that necessitates bank details.

Advice? ..put the phone down.

---

Just to say, that number comes up a lot, with different scripting, but with the same aim, to leech as much information, dupe the user into opening up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

I had that same call last week.

My number is unlisted so are they just dialing generated numbers?

I just put the phone down but would be interested to hear from Eircom on the security of our phone numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Why do these people never ring me? :(

taytothief wrote: »
    Why do these people never ring me? :(

Luck of the draw!

Less numbers to randomly dial in Ireland so eventually your time will come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Do what I do.

Answer and say "Hi, yep, Ok, Yep" then put phone on it's side and go away and peel spuds, feed dog, go to the jacks etc.

Can be funny listening to the "hello?............. hello?" after about 30-40 seconds.

I figure it's wasting their time and costing them money, which gives me a warm glow inside!

Do what I do.

Answer and say "Hi, yep, Ok, Yep" then put phone on it's side and go away and peel spuds, feed dog, go to the jacks etc.

Can be funny listening to the "hello?............. hello?" after about 30-40 seconds.

I figure it's wasting their time and costing them money, which gives me a warm glow inside!

I used to do this, tune a radio into a talk show, place the phone nearby and let them "chat" to the traffic girl :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Amalgam wrote: »
    Variation on a theme.

Currently, the number: 00 44 20304450

The line seems dead for 30 seconds as the automated dialer routes your call around the call center. In my case, a woman with an Indian accent takes up the call, with plenty of other activity in the background, calls etc..

I am calling about the 'Anglo Survey', to see how Irish people are managing with the recession.

English is a bit off and it is obviously scripted.

Usual tat, trying to extract as much personal information from you, including setting up some sort of very very vague arrangement that necessitates bank details.

Advice? ..put the phone down.

---

Just to say, that number comes up a lot, with different scripting, but with the same aim, to leech as much information, dupe the user into opening up.

Hi Amalgam

Thanks for the post...
    I agree, put down the phone. We are aware of a number of different scams at the moment. These change quickly but are almost all as pobvioulsy false as the one you mention.. Important thing to remember is never give out any personal or account information.

Tony

Advertisement