Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-60 Ballycotton 10; Sub-3 Rotterdam

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

Time to bring this log to a close. The couple of weeks leading up to Rotterdam were probably the busiest and most stressful I've had from a work perspective. When I did head out for a run I had no energy and not a lot of motivation.

Monday, 1 April – rest
    Tue – 9 miles including 5 x 2 min hills – very tough
    Wed – rest
    Thurs – 7 miles at 7:24 min pace
    Fri – rest
    Sat – 6 miles at 7 min/ mile pace
    Sun – 8 miles at 6:30 pace
    Monday, 8 April –rest
    Tue – 4 miles at 7:10 pace
    Wed – 5.5 miles at 8 min pace
    Thurs, Fri, Sat - rest

Flew into Amsterdam after a night of very little sleep. After a series of work related phone calls it was the afternoon before I left the airport. With blood still boiling I knew I had to calm myself down or I'd botch the marathon, be a miserable companion and make myself feel even worse. Not to mention sending 6 months of training down the tube.

I switched off work email and left the airport as a tourist meanwhile apologising to the missus for spoiling her holiday.

After a boat trip on the canals of Amsterdam and abandoning our walk through the rain pelted streets, we got the train to Rotterdam. Our hotel was literally 50 metres from the starting line – deliberately chosen in case I had a repeat experience of Dublin marathon in 2011 when I could barely walk after finishing.

Slept really well Friday night and suddenly things looked a lot brighter. Sleeping well the penultimate night before a race is key – that’s what I told myself anway.

Fast forward to Sunday morning and I feel more energised than I’ve done in weeks. I head down to pen C and bump into a few lads I know. Temperatures are forecast to reach 18 or so degrees. After training at 5 degrees or less for most of the winter I was concerned with how my body would react.

I start off with the 4 Irish lads who are running as a group and were planning to head out at 6:50 pace. As they’re faster than me I avoid pushing the pace to keep with them. I fall off their pace almost immediately but they don’t seem to drift too far ahead which gives me some confidence. 6:53 first mile which is fine - it’s slightly uphill (that’s as big a hill I encounter) and against the wind. Happy to see 6:28 show up for the second mile given how comfortable it seems.

5k – 20:54

Water stations are every 5k so I am sure to grab a couple of cups given the heat – stomach feels a little nauseous after drinking water which breaks my rhythm but I soon get back into my stride. I focus on keeping a high cadence but short stride to minimise the strain on my muscles – seems to work well as I string a few 6:3x miles together without feeling the effort.

5k - 10k – 20:35

I start to get a little more confident and look for the Irish lads in the distance as it would be nice to run with some familiar faces. I slowly claw my way back so that by mile 8 I’m by their side. We’re constantly passing other runners which is a nice feeling – I usually go out too fast and end up being passed. I even begin to think running a marathon is easier than the shorter distances as it’s not such a lung buster….

10k – 15k – 20:31

As we run through miles 10 and 11 the crowds seem huge and have erupted in response to a guy behind me doing a Mo Farrah – great booster even if the cheers aren’t for me! The sponge / cup combination available from the water stations are great and I take full advantage. I take my first gel.

15k – 20k – 20:42

We reach half way in 1:27:16 – happy to have this sub-3 cushion as I felt I was sure to slow. By this stage, 2 of the Irish lads had dropped off and the other two started to increase their pace. I decide to let them go rather than take unnecessary risks. In training, the 13 mile point is usually where I start to wilt and pace deteriorates – I manage to string another few 6:3x miles though.

20k – 25k – 20:39

I start playing mind games – if I can get to 20 miles without slowing up then sub-3 I feel is a real possibility.

25k – 30k – 20:46

I approach the city centre again, having done the south loop, now the shorter north city loop is to be completed. With 12k to go the race leader emerges on the other side of the road – he has only 3k to go. So that’s what a 2:05 marathoner looks like up close – I give him a clap! Wind is with me and the slope seems downhill – its slightly concerning as the opposite will be case on the return journey. But I make hay while the sun shines with another couple of 6:3x miles. I take a second and final gel from a refreshment station.

30k – 35k – 20:57

Mile 21 and the first dip in pace emerges – 6:44 followed by 6:45 for mile 22. Now it starts to hurt. I start counting the kms down - 7km to go – 4 minutes each at least – doing the maths in my head over and over. I’m still passing other runners but it’s not so easy – I latch onto the heels of a passing runner to keep me focused – I could easily slow to a crawl if I don’t concentrate.

35k – 40k – 21:38

2km to go – I’m still on the other guys heels but the body and legs are screaming out to stop – the only thing that keeps me going is the wish never to have to do another marathon - as long as I can get sub-3 this time though! I turn a corner and there, almost unexpectedly, is the ‘500m to go’ sign. Bliss! Head down. One foot in front of the other. 350m. 250m. 20 secs left maybe? Still doing the maths. But the clock gives me the answer - 2:56:23!

I rest my head and arms on a barrier utterly shattered for what must have been 10 minutes. Finally catch my breath and walk unsteadily onwards to the two Irish lads that ran a stormer. Absolutely delighted to have broken 3 hours with a few minutes to spare. No better way to banish work woes.

I have no more marathon ambitions but sub-60 at Ballycotton 10 + t-shirt remains elusive - I’ll be back next year more determined than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Well done man, you had a stormer, good to see your work pay off. Best of luck with the sub 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Well done on the sub 3 kaymin! I met you for a couple of training runs a few years back when some of us were gunning for under 3- delighted for you that you finally got it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great race kaymin and a super time. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Exceptional, great to read that. Very well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great report, well done on the sub 3!

Advertisement