Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving after a c section

• 15-12-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice...I'm 3 weeks post section and dying to get back driving. When I was an inpatient my consultant commented that the 6 week rule is not official and to ask my gp. My stand in gp has said 'no' andwillhave to wait the full 6 weeks as there is no literature regarding going back driving before 6 weeks. Anyone have any experience/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

AFAIK it's to do with insurance, that you're not always covered to drive for 6 weeks unless you get a note from doctor. I have heard of people who have phoned their insurance company and have simply needed to verbally say they were OK to drive (no note required). why not call them, as they'll be able to tell you what you need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Yeah I agree about ringing your insurance company, there is sometimes small print in your policy stating that you won't be covered. So you would be as well off!
    Also, in regards to how you are feeling. I was told after my surgery if I could jam on the brakes full and quickly without feeling pain! But obviously that's not a professional opinion ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I think its more to do with the potential for the site wound to open if you are involved in a crash. Id err on the side of cation.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

Thanks for all the replies! Should have said that I did ring my insurance company before I spoke to the gp. They said once I got clearance from my gp...but it's my gp thats the problem!,

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Anyone I know who had a section was back driving within three to four weeks. They rang the insurance company to check & were told to go ahead.
    They just did small journeys until after the six weeks like to the shops or to a school if they had other kids to be dropped off. Necessary journeys that would only take a few minutes, it's not like they were spinning around the country visiting people!
    I'd ring the insurance company & if they're ok with it then go ahead once you feel capable yourself, but I would keep it to very short journeys if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I was driving 3 weeks post-op. insurance company said once GP okayed it would be fine. GP didn't have a problem with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is there another GP in the surgery you could ask? I really wouldn't chance it, your insurance could be voided if you don't have clearance from a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

January wrote: »
    Is there another GP in the surgery you could ask? I really wouldn't chance it, your insurance could be voided if you don't have clearance from a GP.

Yeah it wasn't my own gp in the first place...so hopefully she'll be back this week. I feel a bit cheeky going back to the surgery again but I feel capable of driving...just 10/15 min journeys would be all I'd be doing. It's so annoying as back walking etc.

Advertisement