Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to put condition on a horse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I don't think anything adds condition like Baileys. I think its 4 and 17 are the non-heating conditioners. Dengie also do an alfalfa cube thats supposed to work very well on some horses.

Barley and Beetpulp would be the old school way to add condition without heating.

Are there any other symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Valentina wrote: »
    Ok having had a look at the Blue Grass site, I'm thinking of switching to the Nice 'n' Easy mix which has less protein and oil than the Cool 'n' Condition and then making up the feed weight with the rolled barley and sugar beet. Does this sound ok/make sense? I'm so confused!! :o

I am Old School:D and I'd do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

elusiveguy wrote: »
    I don't think anything adds condition like Baileys. I think its 4 and 17 are the non-heating conditioners. Dengie also do an alfalfa cube thats supposed to work very well on some horses.

Barley and Beetpulp would be the old school way to add condition without heating.

Are there any other symptoms?

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to stick with Blue grass if I can as my yard sells it. They also sell bags of single grains

She's no other symptoms than what I mentioned. I checked her ears the last two evenings and they are warm at the base. She was a bit perkier the last few days after her time off. I am supposed to have a lesson with her on Saturday so I think she will be ok for it.
    Esroh wrote: »
    I am Old School:D and I'd do this.

Ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Dengie Alfa oil chaff, it's the green stuff in the red bag, it's about 16 euro but one bag will last you two months with at a scoop a day. I also got a tip from the farrier for general well being which has been working wonders with my older mare; put seaweed (i use the actual stuff from the health shop as opposed to the horse stuff that comes in powder form as I think its got more of the goodness left in it, not to mention significantly cheaper!!) into a bottle of normal vegetable oil (aldi's finest is my choice!) so that it fills up to about two inches from the bottom. Give it a good shake and put it in your feed daily.

Have you wormed recently? Make sure she's had a decent dose of something comprehensive like equest pramox, otherwise youre just feeding the worms! My mare can be hard to keep weight on, and lost a lot of condition when I first got her. She got a good worm dose (she now gets yearly wormer and then I give her something like telmin or panacur every 3 months) and gets a scoop of coarse 12% and beet pulp in the morning, and then a scoop of coarse 14% and beet pulp in the evening along with half a scoop of the alfa hi fi and half a scoop of oats, her oil/seaweed combo, joint supplement and two scoops of garlic granules. She is a sport horse and is naturally athletic and lean but has no sign of any ribs and looks round and well covered.

Dengie Alfa oil chaff, it's the green stuff in the red bag, it's about 16 euro but one bag will last you two months with at a scoop a day. I also got a tip from the farrier for general well being which has been working wonders with my older mare; put seaweed (i use the actual stuff from the health shop as opposed to the horse stuff that comes in powder form as I think its got more of the goodness left in it, not to mention significantly cheaper!!) into a bottle of normal vegetable oil (aldi's finest is my choice!) so that it fills up to about two inches from the bottom. Give it a good shake and put it in your feed daily.

Have you wormed recently? Make sure she's had a decent dose of something comprehensive like equest pramox, otherwise youre just feeding the worms! My mare can be hard to keep weight on, and lost a lot of condition when I first got her. She got a good worm dose (she now gets yearly wormer and then I give her something like telmin or panacur every 3 months) and gets a scoop of coarse 12% and beet pulp in the morning, and then a scoop of coarse 14% and beet pulp in the evening along with half a scoop of the alfa hi fi and half a scoop of oats, her oil/seaweed combo, joint supplement and two scoops of garlic granules. She is a sport horse and is naturally athletic and lean but has no sign of any ribs and looks round and well covered.

She was wormed in October, Equest Pramox.

I've started her on Nice 'n' Easy today with the barley and beet pulp so we'll give it a few weeks and hopefully there will be a change in her. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

So, how are we doing now?

I wormed mine, put her on extra feed, bought a warmer rug and I think she's finally starting to put on a little weight. Her coat looks better already, it's a deeper colour and gleams.

Going to sedate tomorrow hopefully in order to clip her. She won't let me near her otherwise.

Any advice?? I will of course ask the vet all about sedating.

Heydeldel wrote: »
    So, how are we doing now?

I wormed mine, put her on extra feed, bought a warmer rug and I think she's finally starting to put on a little weight. Her coat looks better already, it's a deeper colour and gleams.

Going to sedate tomorrow hopefully in order to clip her. She won't let me near her otherwise.

Any advice?? I will of course ask the vet all about sedating.

Yeah mine has put on a nice bit of condition now - if I can keep her this way for the rest of the winter I'll be happy.

She's getting a scoop of rolled barley and a scoop of Nice & Easy twice a day which is just over 11lbs of feed a day plus haylege ad lib. I never got around to getting beet pulp but she seems to be doing well without it.

She's in a heavier rug now too but I have had to switch back to her lighter rug a couple of nights because it's been quite warm and she was sweating in the heavy one.

I've been trying to include more long and low exercises too to help build up the muscles.

I've no advice a out sedating - mine was okay to clip, just a bit ticklish around the girth area so we used a twitch to keep her still. We did a low trace her face wasn't done. Would you try the twitch to begin with and then sedate of it doesn't work?

My friend uses Sedalin on her gelding to clip and it seems to work for them. I've heard of people having mixed results with it though so it probably depends on how stressed the horse is to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

[QUOTE=

I've no advice a out sedating - mine was okay to clip, just a bit ticklish around the girth area so we used a twitch to keep her still. We did a low trace her face wasn't done. Would you try the twitch to begin with and then sedate of it doesn't work?

My friend uses Sedalin on her gelding to clip and it seems to work for them. I've heard of people having mixed results with it though so it probably depends on how stressed the horse is to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear yours is gaining some weight!

I might try her again tomorrow with a twitch and see how that works.I'd prefer not to have to sedate. Also, while I was in with the vet today getting the sedative, she told me to plug her ears. I'll try that too.

Tomorrow should be fun :rolleyes:

Advertisement