Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding more carbonation

Options
  • 15-12-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My questions are mainly about carbonation recently! I just opened a bottle today that I carbonated (with drops) last week. It's very flat, but has a great head. Is it possible to add another carbonation drop to the rest of the unopened bottles? They're 500ml bottles and I used one carbonation drop. They've been kept at room temperature.

Thanks

Edit: The one that I tried was from a darkened plastic bottle. I used two plastic bottles and all the rest are the swing top bottles. Ive had a look at the glass bottles and Ive noticed there seems to be some sediment at the bottom. Ive given all the bottles and shake and its remixed everything. Ive now put the box in front of the radiator. Will this solve the issue instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Move it away from the rad anyway. Too hot for sure. others will know better about the carbonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

One week is not long enough. Beer needs at least two weeks in the bottle to carbonate. Three or four even better.

Sediment at the bottom is perfectly normal and you don't need to shake it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

As above, move the box away from the radiator and wait another week or two, you'll be surprised the difference it makes, 3 weeks is the magic time for most homebrews IMO. Remember if you open the bottles now you will lose most of the carbonation that's building up.

Edit: they recommend 1 carb drop per 740ml bottles which are now standard in the coopers kit, you may come in a little under but I'd just learn from it and enjoy it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I use 1.5 car drops per 500ml ,1 for 330ml ,i now prime with dextrose ,cheaper 1tsp per 500ml

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for all the replies! In the last batch, I used two drops but were in plastic bottles. I was afraid to use two in glass bottles incase they exploded. I use the drops instead of sugar because my 9 year old daughter helps me, and the drops are easier to control!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

I like beer to be well carbonated and found drops to be hit and miss. I batch primed my last brew and was really happy. There's any amount of how Tom's here and on beoir.
    I found this calculator really good
    http://tastybrew.mobify.me/calculators/priming.html
    Thats the mobile link

Not only does it give you the sugar quantity for temps and volume it also has a style list so you can pick whatever end of the carbonation spectrum for the style you are brewing.

Advertisement