Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Puzzlers for iOS6/iTunes 11 Gurus...

• 15-12-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I've encountered 3 problems with my iPad/iPhone which, while not critical, are very annoying. Wonder can anyone help? I've trawled the iOS forums, etc. elsewhere and haven't found satisfactory answers to any of them. So, here goes on boards.ie:

Background

I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, both running iOS6.1. Wireless router is a Netgear DGN2200. iTunes 11 is running on a HP Pavilion Laptop running Windows 7. All software, apps and firmware are bang up to date.

Problem 1 - iPad Loses Wifi Connection When Reset (or when router is reset):

When I reset/power-off either the iPad or the router, the iPad loses the wifi connection and I need to manually reconnect it again. I had WEP security enabled so this entailed re-entering the WEP key each time. I changed over to WPA-AES (as recommended by Apple) but this didn't fix the issue.

Problem 2 - iPhone needs WPA password entered after it sleeps.

If I'm connected to wifi and let the iPhone "go to sleep", the phone does not automatically reconnect to the wifi and requires the WPA password to be re-entered each time. Kind of a version of the previous problem but more extreme.

Problem 3 - Not able to update apps via iTunes 11

I can grab app updates directly to the iPad/iPhone over wifi but, if I first download the updates to iTunes 11, the updates don't sync to the phone. It's as if iTunes on the PC can't see or doesn't know about the updates.

Any insights greatly appreciated....

JB

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Manually set up the wifi on the iPad and iPhone. Go to settings>wifi and then tap other. Enter the ssid, it's orob NETGEAR make sure you enter it exactly as it is as its case sensitive.

Are you sure the app updates are downloading in iTunes and do you have the sync apps tab ticked in iTunes. If automatic downloads are enabled the apps will download on iTunes when you download them on the iPad/iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

guil wrote: »
    Manually set up the wifi on the iPad and iPhone. Go to settings>wifi and then tap other. Enter the ssid, it's orob NETGEAR make sure you enter it exactly as it is as its case sensitive.

Are you sure the app updates are downloading in iTunes and do you have the sync apps tab ticked in iTunes. If automatic downloads are enabled the apps will download on iTunes when you download them on the iPad/iPhone

Thanks for taking the time to offer these.....will let you know how I get on!

JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

I thought this thread was about 3 great puzzle games for iOS :)

BanjoB wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about 3 great puzzle games for iOS :)

I guess it depends on your definition of "puzzle". ;-))

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »

Your suggestion of setting the net config manually worked! Both the iPhone and the iPad are now behaving correctly. Thank you!

The iTunes problem is proving more resistant. When you say:

"Are you sure the app updates are downloading in iTunes and do you have the sync apps tab ticked in iTunes. If automatic downloads are enabled the apps will download on iTunes when you download them on the iPad/iPhone".

Do you mean the tickbox under the iTunes Apps list? The one that says "automatically sync new apps"? If so, yes, that is turned on.

You ask a good question about whether iTunes is actually getting the updates. If I check for app updates, it sees that there are updates available. But I can't say definitively whether it is actually downloading those updates or not - I need to wait for the next update and look at the network traffic when I try to grab it. Interestingly, if I install the updates directly onto the iPad/iPhone using wifi (thereby bypassing iTunes), iTunes can "see" the updates on the devices and then uploads them to the library. Which would suggest that it doesn't have the update in its library. Does this give you any clues?

Thanks again - JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Reset your hosts file back to default or delete the apple entries
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Reset your hosts file back to default or delete the apple entries
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Thanks Cathal. This sounds like a bit of surgery that's not "risk-free". Can you explain to me what this will do and why it should work to fix the iTunes problem? Just want to know what I'm doing before I hack in!!

Thanks - JB

jwb1 wrote: »
    Thanks Cathal. This sounds like a bit of surgery that's not "risk-free". Can you explain to me what this will do and why it should work to fix the iTunes problem? Just want to know what I'm doing before I hack in!!

Thanks - JB

Cathal -

This is what the hosts file looks like - seems to me to be a "null" file with no entries, Apple or otherwise?

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cathal -

This is what the hosts file looks like - seems to me to be a "null" file with no entries, Apple or otherwise?

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

That would mean the hosts file is ok, if it contained something like:
    127.0.0.1 apple.com

It would be blocking stuff

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Your suggestion of setting the net config manually worked! Both the iPhone and the iPad are now behaving correctly. Thank you!

The iTunes problem is proving more resistant. When you say:

"Are you sure the app updates are downloading in iTunes and do you have the sync apps tab ticked in iTunes. If automatic downloads are enabled the apps will download on iTunes when you download them on the iPad/iPhone".

Do you mean the tickbox under the iTunes Apps list? The one that says "automatically sync new apps"? If so, yes, that is turned on.

You ask a good question about whether iTunes is actually getting the updates. If I check for app updates, it sees that there are updates available. But I can't say definitively whether it is actually downloading those updates or not - I need to wait for the next update and look at the network traffic when I try to grab it. Interestingly, if I install the updates directly onto the iPad/iPhone using wifi (thereby bypassing iTunes), iTunes can "see" the updates on the devices and then uploads them to the library. Which would suggest that it doesn't have the update in its library. Does this give you any clues?

Thanks again - JB
    When you check for updates there should be a button at the bottom saying download all free updates. If you have the sidebar enabled you should see whatever number of updates beside downloads and if you click it you will get a summary of all downloads

... although it's not given a headline billing in the 11.0.1 release notes, this minor upgrade fixed the problem of apps not updating through iTunes 11.

Thanks to everyone for offering their assistance/solutions.

JB

Advertisement