Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers pie?

Options
  • 15-12-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I have tried a search but am on my phone and couldn't find anything so any help is much appreciated!

I have roast chicken, carrots, parsnips and potatoes, stuffing and home made gravy left over from dinner today so I plan on making a leftover pie tomorrow... I was thinking of just cutting/shredding/mashing everything up, putting it in my lasagne dish with some of the gravy (how much?) and making a short crust top... Is there anything I should do differently? Puff pastry would be nicer but I won't have the time to make it tomorrow and have no cash to buy anything I don't have at the minute!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I have tried a search but am on my phone and couldn't find anything so any help is much appreciated!

I have roast chicken, carrots, parsnips and potatoes, stuffing and home made gravy left over from dinner today so I plan on making a leftover pie tomorrow... I was thinking of just cutting/shredding/mashing everything up, putting it in my lasagne dish with some of the gravy (how much?) and making a short crust top... Is there anything I should do differently? Puff pastry would be nicer but I won't have the time to make it tomorrow and have no cash to buy anything I don't have at the minute!

Of course, everybody's tastes are different but that does not sound good to me.

If I was in your shoes with very few other ingredients to hand, I'd shred the chicken and finely dice the carrots and parsnips. I'd make a white sauce from half chicken stock, half milk, a little flour and butter, and lashings of black pepper, and toss the chicken and veg with this, topping with pastry and baking. Then serve with reheated spuds and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's what I'd do.
    You could top it with mash too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

When I make leftovers pie at Christmas I use stuffing as the topping, with some butter rubbed/mixed through it and potentially a little cheese as well if there's some knocking about, sort of leftovers crumble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

take your chicken and chop it into cubes, add to a pie dush with your veggies, bind them in some of the gravy top with tge spuds and bake covered in foil for 30 mins at about 160.c sprinlke the stuffing over the top and back in the oven for another 10 mins and crank the heat to about 2
    190c then let it rest and.serve it with more of the gravy over the top.

Advertisement