Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Albums..too many of them..what to do?

• 16-12-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have 10 photo albums that are full. They take up two book shelves. In the last couple of years I've just been storing photos to my computer. I reckon I now have about 400 photos to develop if not more.

I understand people now back up, which I have done...but I feel you never get to view the photos if they are sitting in the computer.

Just wondering what most people do now with all their photos?
    Any suggestions on what I can do besides buying more photo albums or is that still the way to go?

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

How often do you pull all the albums off the shelves and look at them? Is it more difficult to look at a slideshow on your pc/laptop/tv? Personally I find my 40" TV is my favourite way to view my photos, but I rotate some 10x8 and 16x10 photos on the walls aronud the house. I have no photo albums.

It may be incorrect to assume that printing photos and putting them in albums means you view them more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

maybe just put your best, and more important photos in your album, but also keep the rest on your computer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I every year print a photobook (from blurb, of my children)
    they are the same as any other book and hold some 300 pictures each (I use fotofusion for the design of the pages of the photobook)
    haven't printed pictures other than for frames otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

ah, and pictures get shown much more than before, photo books are popular and easier to show to guests and family

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rainbows7

Good advice. Thank you all.

I seem to have a fear of the photos sitting in the computer, as laptop could die, stolen (which happened before) or my back up device may not work. I don't back up as often as I should (maybe once/twice a year).

There seems to be less fear of having hard copy, yet little room in house and added clutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

As a suggestion

If you have Gmail and Google+ and install Picassa on your computer and cross connect these you get unlimited storage on Google,it doesnt say it in the Terms and Conditions but it exists.

I store all my photos locally on my hard drive,when i store new photos i open Picassa it looks for new photos and backs them up automatically to Picassa online this include HD video etc.
    I currently have 10,000 photos stores and all my Camcorder videos which are in HD and it shows i am only using 1% of my allocated storage,it never changes no matter how much is uploaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

As a suggestion

If you have Gmail and Google+ and install Picassa on your computer and cross connect these you get unlimited storage on Google,it doesnt say it in the Terms and Conditions but it exists.

I store all my photos locally on my hard drive,when i store new photos i open Picassa it looks for new photos and backs them up automatically to Picassa online this include HD video etc.
    I currently have 10,000 photos stores and all my Camcorder videos which are in HD and it shows i am only using 1% of my allocated storage,it never changes no matter how much is uploaded.

I'm limited to 5120 MB on PicasaWeb, and it offers me extra storage at a price;
    25 GB $2.49 / Month etc. Have you some special account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

RainyDay wrote: »

I'm limited to 5120 MB on PicasaWeb, and it offers me extra storage at a price;
    25 GB $2.49 / Month etc. Have you some special account?

Do you have the 3 accounts I mention above and Picasa installed on your computer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Do you have the 3 accounts I mention above and Picasa installed on your computer ?

2 accounts - Gmail and Google+ right? Yes, I have both - it's showing me the option to delete Google+, so I must be registered - though I don't use it at all. I use Gmail as my main email service too. And I have Picasa installed - it's my main photo editor - but still just 5 Gb of space on Picasaweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rainbows7

No I don't have these installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

hazel111 wrote: »
    Good advice. Thank you all.

I seem to have a fear of the photos sitting in the computer, as laptop could die, stolen (which happened before) or my back up device may not work. I don't back up as often as I should (maybe once/twice a year).

There seems to be less fear of having hard copy, yet little room in house and added clutter.

Backblaze is your solution here. $50 per year, complete peace of mind.

Advertisement