Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewerage Unblocking

Options
  • 16-12-2012 1:42am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea where I can get this done relatively cheaply in Cork? I've done it myself a few times, just got out the rods and poked away til the drains ran freely again. I rang Dyno Rod once but it was €150 and I can't pay that a week before Christmas. :(
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

It might be better if you invest in a Kärcher pressure washers & a drain cleaning kit if you find the drain blocking often.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks, that looks good. But right now my house smells so I need to get it sorted asap. I'll get those in the new year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

There are a few outfits that do it. Try Munster Drain, Cork Drain, Countywide Drainage Services. See who gives you the best price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The're all going to be about the €150 for a callout, I can loan you a set of rods if it's of any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Last year my neighbours drain blocked, they have no acess to their man hole so used mine to free up drains.I told her I would pay half as we were both blocked, she had no cash so the drain guy gave her a bill.
    Call them out let them clear the drain, get a bill and pay it in the new year, it's Christmas week most people will understand.
    If there are houses connected to the drain upstream then all the houses connected to the common sewer are liable to pay as well, tell the neighbours this, if they tell you to bug off then tell them look forward to the mess as the whole lot will block. I am at the end of 4 houses and it used to happen all the time people putting baby wipes in the drain.
    Cork City Council even have a leaflet explaining all this.
    Most important call someone this morning, sewage is really nasty and dangerous stuff, it should be cleared really quickly, again the guy in the van will give you a bill so don't worry about paying today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Help? Anyone any ideas how I can get the head of chimney sweep rods out of a sewage drain. It is bout 20 metres in the pipe it unscrewed off the rods when was trying clear sewage and I know I shudnt bn using it in sewage drain but taut was gud idea at time. I've tried pushing it on from both ends but rods not strong enuf to push it. Any advice appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

marathon wrote: »
    Help? Anyone any ideas how I can get the head of chimney sweep rods out of a sewage drain. It is bout 20 metres in the pipe it unscrewed off the rods when was trying clear sewage and I know I shudnt bn using it in sewage drain but taut was gud idea at time. I've tried pushing it on from both ends but rods not strong enuf to push it. Any advice appreciated

It was the right tool but you turned it the wrong way :rolleyes:

You must keep turning the rods in a clockwise direction as you push them down the drain.

If you get a worm for the end of your rods you may be able to fish it out, but chances are you'll just push it down further, what type of tool did you have on the end of the rods. If it was a large chimney brush you may not get it out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

4" scraper or plunger attached to your rods , and shove it along to the next man hole

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Countywide Drain Services Ltd were the company I used. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you Google your problem, you'll find some handy tips for solving it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement