Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app idea

Options
  • 16-12-2012 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Im new to the whole mobile development, while reading a mobile development book I ended up falling asleep. I'm not one for reading books!

I was wondering would some one here be willing to give me a hand with this project that i would end up putting on google app store for around 2 euro..

How hard/easy would it to be to have something like a card game, with buttons etc, that would be played online, that the deck of cards would have to be shared with another person

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What are you paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

What are you paying?
    Well hes looking to sell for 2 euro, and maybe expecting 100k downloads, thats 200k euro, my estimation would be about 8% so thats 16k euro up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

16k up front, i wish i had that amount of money.

it would all come down to how it sells, and split it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Well, the answer your other question - Even a simple game, with online functionality is a lot of work. Ideas are cheap, execution is expensive.

Plus, making money on app stores these days usually requires spending a lot of money. The indie hits you see mentioned in the paper are an exception to the rule.

I think if you believe your idea is really good, you should at least try to learn enough development to knock up a prototype and show that to people, you might get interest that way, otherwise, no chance I'm afraid!

i could develop it with java. then see what people would think and then go down the road of making it an app.

Either way, looking through the IOS app Store and Android App Store not either one have a game of what im thinking of, so i am hopeful that i can get this up and running before some one else thinks of it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Cork24 wrote: »
    i could develop it with java. then see what people would think and then go down the road of making it an app.

Either way, looking through the IOS app Store and Android App Store not either one have a game of what im thinking of, so i am hopeful that i can get this up and running before some one else thinks of it,

Maybe its not on either store because there is no market for it? </devils advocate>

Well seeing that Match Attack are making Millions off Kids and teens,
    Every Year. theirs a market their for the idea

Well seeing that Match Attack are making Millions off Kids and teens,
    Every Year. theirs a market their for the idea

Heh, you just said that neither store have one game like yours? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

No need to be negative, you never what apps might take off. The cheapest way unfortunately is to learn the App Development yourself, maybe by doing an evening course or something like that. But at least you'll have the skills if you decide to make others in the future.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Heh, you just said that neither store have one game like yours? :)

They don't, have a game that i have in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

The thing you're missing is that programmers get a near-constant stream of "I have a great idea - you do all the work and we'll split the revenue!"

You might find a sucker to do that deal, but don't be surprised if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

it would all come down to how it sells, and split it..
    OK. Let's presume that your 'idea' is good.

On that basis, you're bringing the idea to the partnership (that's what it is). You're not bringing the development. Or the marketing. Or anything else, so far. Less said about your value to the venture in the long term, the better.

All you have to offer is the initial idea.

I would expect about 1% share if I were you, unless you improve what you bring to the table, or you find a moron. Or you can learn to build it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jgh_ wrote: »
    The thing you're missing is that programmers get a near-constant stream of "I have a great idea - you do all the work and we'll split the revenue!"

You might find a sucker to do that deal, but don't be surprised if you don't.

Yep, it's a cliche at this stage. And they all want you to sign NDAs before they talk to you.

An idea for an app is NOTHING. Look at the most popular games, most are bettermade clones of existing apps. And more importantly, better marketed. Take SongPop for example, there were loads of song quizzes before, they just did it better.

I am working on a UML design at the Moment on what i would need.

From their i will be Working on the Java Program for. see what kind of Result i get and then take it from their..

I am working on a UML design at the Moment on what i would need.

From their i will be Working on the Java Program for. see what kind of Result i get and then take it from their..

The word you want is "there", sorry but when I saw you use it incorrectly twice my inner grammar nazi couldn't be stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

If u were from dublin u could use "der" in all cases

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

sorry if I'mm missing something but android apps are written in java, if you can code in java whats stopping you from writing it yourself?

questioner wrote: »
    sorry if I'mm missing something but android apps are written in java, if you can code in java whats stopping you from writing it yourself?

Yes they are writing in Java you are 100% correct, its more then just writing in java,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

questioner wrote: »
    Native Android development is not a simple case of just coding in Java.

To begin with it, the libraries can differ from J2EE, with Android specific ones that you need to learn how to interact with, and you also have to get used to new concepts, such as Androids context model, which can be a bit of a headache.

Additionally much of an Android app is actually written (or described is perhaps more accurate) using XML; screen layouts, styles and other assets. Knowing what assets and resources are, how they're handled, and so on is an important part of basic Android development.

Personally I found that the available development environments (specifically Eclipse) are probably the largest barrier when getting into it, as they be flaky to say the least, and you can spend as much time stabilizing them as you can coding, at the start.

While naturally it is much easier for someone who's already familiar with Java to get into, there is still a bit of a learning curve. Given this, any developer, already familiar with Java and a modicum of experience should be able to get up to speed in one or two days - if you're willing to devote a weekend to it, you'll get there. I found these tutorials to be invaluable when I started off:

http://www.vogella.com/android.html

Advertisement