Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A program that I can set print size (by millimetres) with??

• 16-12-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am so frustrated by a project that I am currently doing. I have a rather large/HQ image file (about 6700x2400 res) that I want to print to a very specific size (144mm x 52mm). I don't have a clue what to use to get this specific result though.

Can anyone suggest a program/setting? I'm using paint.NET, no specific photo software etc.

Thanks in advance :(

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

babymanval wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am so frustrated by a project that I am currently doing. I have a rather large/HQ image file (about 6700x2400 res) that I want to print to a very specific size (144mm x 52mm). I don't have a clue what to use to get this specific result though.

Can anyone suggest a program/setting? I'm using paint.NET, no specific photo software etc.

Thanks in advance :(

You need to set the image dpi. Click image>resize and adjust the size there, obviously maintain the resolution.

Print at 100% without scaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

Thanks for the advice 5uspect...

I've gone in to paint.NET image settings, and resized down to as close to 144x52mm as I can. This increases the resolution (the number, not pixel dimensions), so I presume that's increasing the dpi.

What software will I use to print though? It still isn't giving me the right real-life dimensions when I print. The stock Windows 7 picture viewer print function isn't exactly considerate of the details. It actually gets close enough with its 10x15 setting, but I need to make it slightly smaller and narrower. I was considering adding a white border to the file to force it to the right aspect, but it's a lot of messing.

Thanks again...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Your image needs to be about 50 pixels per millimeter to fit a 6700x2400 pixel image into 114x52mm. 6700x2400 is an aspect ratio of 2.8. 114x52 is an aspect ratio of 2.2. You're going to need to crop the image or stretch it to fit you physical size requirement.

Just print from Paint.NET. Just uncheck scale to fit or whatever option is there to print it at 100%.

Advertisement