Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat brought home live shrew

• 16-12-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

As per title: My cat just brought home a live shrew.

Any suggestions on what to do or if/where I should release it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My cats do this occassionally. My husband puts the shrew in a box and takes it around the corner and releases it. We keep the cat locked in the house for an hour or so to give the shrew time to find its way home and for the cat to get bored.

The first time I saw a shrew I thought it was a baby rat. I didn't know that we had shrews in Ireland. I thought our cat had found a rats nest and was bringing them into the house. I actually walked up to wait for my husband outside the place he was working nights I was that scared of rats. But it was 15 years ago:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

God the screeching out of them is unreal isnt it, so much louder than a rat or mouse. Ive released a few my cats broght home, but they are usually too badly injured to survive. Even a tiny drop of blood is curtains for these guys. Put him in a box or something dark and quiet for an hour, if he is still alive after that he will probably be okay, they live in long grass so if there are any fields with long grass near you, maybe you could release him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Kept him around for a while in an empty plastic bin and he was fine - he even ate a spider that was found its way in there.

Let him out in a field up the road, took a snap before I let him off which is attached if anyone is interested :)

Advertisement