Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bereavement entitlement

• 16-12-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi guys

Looking for some help, the fathers sister died last night unexpectedly. Family is shocked. I am a student and work weekends, and am due in, in an hour or so and was wondering am I entitled to a day? I actually can't afford to not go in if I won't get paid, I hope this doesn't make me sound terrible. I'd like to be here to support my dad and his brothers but financially I can't afford it if I don't have leave.

My employer is a great employer, couldn't have nicer things to say to be honest. I'm very lucky. But pay is handled elsewhere so they'll just give what is legal. I've no holibobs left. Had to take them before December.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, there is no legal entitlement for the death of an auntie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

afaik you only have a right if your contract specifies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Thanks Ted

I thought as much, the father will understand. It might actually be better for me to go in. Not sure how I feel myself so distraction is probably best

uberwolf wrote: »
    afaik you only have a right if your contract specifies.

I checked my book earlier and it doesn't give specifics on which degree relative, it just says, employer will do everything to help at this time with 1-5 days entitlement depending on the circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

It often comes down to the discretion of the employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

They might, at their own discretion, decide to pay you for some or all of the time you take off - however, as a part-time employee and as it's not a member of your immediate family that died, I imagine it's unlikely that they would do so.

Even part-time employees are entitled to annual leave - could you ring your employer, explain the circumstances, explain that you can't afford to take the time off, but ask if you could take today as annual leave instead? They may either allow you to do this, or else they might offer you paid time off due to the bereavement, as a once-off.

Condolences on your loss.

Thanks for the replies guys

I know I'll get the day off as they're very helpful it was the pay I was unsure off so I'd imagine it would be unpaid from the various replies. I'll head in. I don't really want to let them down either Sundays can be quite busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry for your loss smilerxxx.

Fair play to you thinking of your employer and not wanting to let them down. Hopefully you can leave early in the circumstances.

Advertisement