Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

What trouble was the existing setup having

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, any would do. But it may not be the issue.

It's well known that the Zyxel modem Eircom supply has a wireless issue, it's come up many times here especially for gamers and poker players. It makes wireless users re-authenticate every 3 minutes. This means it kicks them for an instant and makes them reconnect and verify the wireless encryption key. Normal use, browsing etc will not see any problems, it will just be for anything requiring a continuous connection. Connecting by ethernet will fix this, but you may end up replacing the wireless modem anyway to fully eliminate the problem for wireless users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

frankmul wrote: »
    What trouble was the existing setup having

For all intents and purposes, it's just unreliable as it is.
    Users come in at a certain time and go at a certain time, i need less fuss as possible connecting to the internet.
    An example would be them coming in with only a few getting connected and others getting local access only, limited connectivity, unidentified network. Could be a number of things.
    The option to connect by ethernet was not possible, during the week it will be as well as having the wireless option if neccessary.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, any would do. But it may not be the issue.

It's well known that the Zyxel modem Eircom supply has a wireless issue, it's come up many times here especially for gamers and poker players. It makes wireless users re-authenticate every 3 minutes. This means it kicks them for an instant and makes them reconnect and verify the wireless encryption key. Normal use, browsing etc will not see any problems, it will just be for anything requiring a continuous connection. Connecting by ethernet will fix this, but you may end up replacing the wireless modem anyway to fully eliminate the problem for wireless users.

I have a couple of routers here that i will look at replacing the other one with.
    The problem you mention is exactly the type i need to avoid.
    Ideally i want them all to walk in with their laptops and connect by ethernet with minimum fuss as possible. I'm not there all the time in the centre and users bring their own laptops with them so it's not like i can get setup beforehand.
    Will order one of those switches and see how it goes.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Thanks Condi.
    Yeah i had checked the router out to see what the DHCP range was, as well as the adapters on each laptop.

Didn't receive the switch till Thursday so will have to wait till after the holidays to get set up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement