Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Caller Alert!

Options
  • 16-12-2012 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Just before lunch here in Dolmen Gardens i had a caller to the house who tried the front door handle after he rang the bell - i happened to be looking at the door when he rang.

On answering, a 50ish man asked had i rang about blinds - no i said - on a sunday? I asked what number he wanted and he said he didn't know - i only opened the door a bit but he was trying to see in past.

I didn't see where he went (gone while i went to put shoes on) but i think someone drove by and told him my house was empty because five minutes earlier all the curtains downstairs were closed as i was upstairs having a rest as i'm sick. And my small car is pulled right up to top of drive (to block access to side of house) and it looks like an abandoned second car (iykwim).

Just a warning for everyone on this side of the town.

Tee

Tee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Did you ring the gardai ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 teelady

I didn't as i've no credit - but i freetexted my sister and she said she's do it.

In fairness to the guards, i find them very good in situations like this and they never mind being called out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

While they might not catch them at least they will get the word onto local radio and warn people. I was talking to the gardai about similar calls in graiguecullen and the staplestown rd. All they can really do is warn people and hope that people dont fall for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 teelady

You are so right Owryan.

I have an elderly relative and she is a terror for taking people at face value at the front door - no matter how much we warn her! She's also been broken into.

An uncle was robbed last year after they watched him leave with his dog for a walk and another relative in the country a few years ago had a break in - with her there - as they knew her son (60) was gone to mass. Luckily she had a panic alarm tag and threatened them and hit it and they freaked out when a voice came from the panel on the wall saying "xxxxx, are you alright - we've rang the guards". But in all cases, it was not what they lost but the feeling of vulnerability and fear in the home afterwards that shattered them.

I am suspicious of everyone :D

Advertisement