Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Check 24MB - from 7MB Max Exchange

• 16-12-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

I'm in an area where the exchange has not been upgraded to NGB nor won't be obviously at this stage - According to Eircom the max available broadband speeds available here are up to 7MB.

I was testing my line using the homevision.ie line checker and afterwards I input another number, just plucked it out of the air , have no idea who it is assigned to etc other than it is the same exchange, area code et al.

I was extremely surprised when the results returned a line capable of speeds of over 23MB's.

Anyone got an idea how this could be if the exchange hasn't been upgraded and is still supposedly on 7MB Max?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Could be the estimate is based on line stats and not what equipment is actually in the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

iPhone. wrote: »
    I'm in an area where the exchange has not been upgraded to NGB nor won't be obviously at this stage - According to Eircom the max available broadband speeds available here are up to 7MB.

I was testing my line using the homevision.ie line checker and afterwards I input another number, just plucked it out of the air , have no idea who it is assigned to etc other than it is the same exchange, area code et al.

I was extremely surprised when the results returned a line capable of speeds of over 23MB's.

Anyone got an idea how this could be if the exchange hasn't been upgraded and is still supposedly on 7MB Max?

Its what your line can actually handle if had been upgraded to ASDL2 ( don't buy what Eircom claims, if you ask them).

Eircom, is busy now upgrading urban estates to fibre, if you don't live in big town or city. You're not likely going to see any upgrade beyond 7mb Unless there some government intervention to fix this?

Eircom has effectively given up on 40% of the population ( Eircom controls the rural market they've no competition only from the mobile market) DSL upgrades have been cut 90%

Advertisement