Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy the best mince pies?

Options
  • 16-12-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

So, can anyone recommend where to get the best mince pies? I remember buying a few different packets last year, on the box they always looked like they were stuffed full of mince but in reality they usually contained about a half a teaspoon full.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Recommend the super valu deluxe range. Can do without mince pies normally at Christmas but like these ones as they have a good amount of filling. Two boxes for 3e so good price atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I was in Super Value looking at them about half an hour ago. I'll have to go back and buy some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Superquinn's ones in their bakery are really good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

+1 for Supervalu. Dunnes Stores mince pies are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Bubblefett wrote: »
    Superquinn's ones in their bakery are really good

Oh so so good, real buttery deliciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Another +1 for Superquinn's from the bakery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'll be getting mine in Superquinn when I go there next week to collect my turkey and ham. :)

I have never tried them but had a couple of people tell me that they're lovely. Glad they're getting further endorsement here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ikeas Mince Pies are lovely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tried mince pies out of a bakery last year - deelish! I think they were from Earl's on North Earl Street but I'm sure most bakeries will have them. Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

+1 for Supervalu. Dunnes Stores mince pies are crap.

I actually think they're lovely....:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

leahyl wrote: »
    I actually think they're lovely....:o
    They don't taste bad, there's just barely any filling in them, and I'm all about the filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Christmasmum

This year I've discovered Tesco finest deep filled mince pies with cognac, and they are delicious!! They are not cheap but I picked them up on Friday half price, so I stocked up. They have plenty of mincemeat in them and the cognac gives a lovely little kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This year I've discovered Tesco finest deep filled mince pies with cognac, and they are delicious!! They are not cheap but I picked them up on Friday half price, so I stocked up. They have plenty of mincemeat in them and the cognac gives a lovely little kick.

+1 for the Tesco ones, Will try the SQ ones again, but they were a bit shite last time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I tried the Superquinn bakery ones yesterday. They were lovely, the mincemeat is quite creamy, there are no whole lumps of fruit in them. I'll have to try a few of the other recommendations on here.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Supervalu are pretty good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Dont have a Supervalu or Superquinn so cannot vouch for them.

I agree that Dunnes were pretty poor.

- I like the Tesco "Finest" ones, the filling is good and not overpowered by the Congnac.

- M&S 'All butter' (red box) is my favourite. The filling is very good and the pastry better than the Tesco Finest.
    There is a more expensive M&S version (white box) which has both Brandy & Port in it.
    TBH I found these a bit much, the booze was too sharp & spoiled the pie.

Heaven for me is a couple of mince pies with M&S extra thick Jersey Cream.
    Yummers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Got the Superquinn ones today and they're as good as ever!
    Though tomorrow I'm picking up some of my mom's homemade ones, they're amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Best are in M&S, very good. Only in 4 packs though.

sEg4k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tesco finest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

The ones from the bakery in Lidl are lovely.

Advertisement