Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of problems, need a new PC. Recommendations?

Options
  • 16-12-2012 5:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm pulling my hair out here with what seems like constant problems on my pc - it was a low budget self build but I should have just bought something proper instead. I know lots of people will say you are better off self building but right now I'd prefer something with a warranty or someone to call etc. I'm just sick of having to wipe and reinstall every few months etc.

I was thinking of just going an getting a Dell. I think I'll get some confirm knowing I'll be buying a bundle that's been tested and built for many thousands of machines etc. I know people who work there and all my work pc's have always been dells and I've almost never had any problems. I don't do anything crazy just the usual's, but I do a fair but of downloading & file transfers, bit of photo editing etc. Want something half decent that will last. I have 2x monitors (vga & dvi) and other hard drives - I just need the tower - as long as it has space for other hard drives.

Looking here: http://www.dell.com/ie/p/desktop-deals I was thinking of either the i5 or the XPS. XPS looks nice with USB 3 which would be handy and good for future proofing. Inbuilt wifi card readers are handy too. Although I have not used it much I don't really like Windows 8 - do I get to put on Windows 7 or xp legally does anyone know?

Is this a good machine? Safe bet? 1tb HD and 4gb ram is enough for me. Any advice from the experts?
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I've had 2 dell desktops over the years and 2 dell laptops and had very little problems (apart from self inflicted problems) with them..if you can get the extended warranty 1 year usually isn't all that long.. My old dell was bought in December 2005 and it's still running today I gave it to a friend of mine for his kids to play flash games on runs perfect all be it a little slow but that's more to do with the hardrive being slow than anything else..

I'd still say building would be a better option as far as price vs performance but the premium would nearly be worth it if you had a 3-4 years warrenty

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

^ depending on what you need it for, 4gb , 1tb, I3 would be good enough for most users.

Gamers, CAD users, Video editors and Graphics Designers would need a higher spec machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might be worth having somebody take a quick look at the current rig, done right you really shouldnt have any problems(the odd time parts fail, but it really is unusual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If your having to format and reinstall every few months I have to ask what your installing on it to make it bog down???
    I am still running a 2 year old windows 7 install and it runs just like the day I installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Another option is to build again, but with a better class of components.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I do install plenty of stuff but nothing crazy heavy really. I always end up reinstalling once or twice a year. Maybe it's my dodgy os's. Not sure I like the look of Windows 8 though, 7 is ok but I still prefer XP to be honest. Can I downgrade or how does it work?

One thing i noticed about that XPS is the graphics card has DVI and HDMI. I have two normal Dell 19" monitors with VGA and DVI. So that would not work. That's annoying...

Any other makes worth looking at? Or, what about getting someone else to 'Build' me a pc and guarantee it etc?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

XP is pretty much obsolete now, Microsoft will stop supporting it in 2014, so it's not that far away. I would reccomend either Windows 7 or Windows 8, I am actually finding windows 8 to be pretty good. Very quick to boot up and all around a nice OS. Windows 7 is also great and you can get OEM licenses for either quite easily and cheaply.
    If you are having to re-install every few months there is something not right, even a fully patched Windows XP should remain stable for many years of use without causing problems. If you are using "dodgy" as in pirated OSes then that is likely the issue. Some of these may have malware embedded into the installation process so you are installing a "clean system" already infected. I would advise picking up a legitimate 7 or 8 license if this is the case (you cannot buy windows XP anymore as Microsoft no longer sell it). Avoid ones on ebay as many can be dodgy licenses that are tied to MSDN accounts that could expire without warning

Nick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok thanks - yeah I'll go with Windows 7 I think. Not sure I want to take the leap to 8 yet - not mad on the metro interface.

Looking at that XPS - although I really like it I'm a little unsure about a few things. It only has space for one additional hard drive - its not essential but ideally I'd like more. I could use something liek this though in fairness http://www.dabs.ie/products/dynamode-3-5--sata-superspeed-usb3-0-enclosure-71ZY.html?refs=4294946403&src=2 . Also, the graphics card has only DVI and HDMI. My Dell 19" monitors only have VGA and DVI. Can I simply use a HDMI to DVI to get around this though? That and it only comes with Windows 8, would cost me more to get an actual licence for Windows 7.

What I do like is that it's a well trusted model with decent performance and good support. I like the ports at the front for the USB (3.0) and the card readers on the front too etc. Also, someone I know works there and can get me a 15% discount bringing the price down to €550 which is pretty dam good, or €628 for the one with 8gb ram and 2tb hard drive..

Another option might be to find a shop etc that would build one for me, and guarantee it. I just want to know that I can bring it back somewhere or get some form of support if something goes wrong.

What do you think?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok thanks - yeah I'll go with Windows 7 I think. Not sure I want to take the leap to 8 yet - not mad on the metro interface.

Looking at that XPS - although I really like it I'm a little unsure about a few things. It only has space for one additional hard drive - its not essential but ideally I'd like more. I could use something liek this though in fairness http://www.dabs.ie/products/dynamode-3-5--sata-superspeed-usb3-0-enclosure-71ZY.html?refs=4294946403&src=2 . Also, the graphics card has only DVI and HDMI. My Dell 19" monitors only have VGA and DVI. Can I simply use a HDMI to DVI to get around this though? That and it only comes with Windows 8, would cost me more to get an actual licence for Windows 7.

What I do like is that it's a well trusted model with decent performance and good support. I like the ports at the front for the USB (3.0) and the card readers on the front too etc. Also, someone I know works there and can get me a 15% discount bringing the price down to €550 which is pretty dam good, or €628 for the one with 8gb ram and 2tb hard drive..

Another option might be to find a shop etc that would build one for me, and guarantee it. I just want to know that I can bring it back somewhere or get some form of support if something goes wrong.

What do you think?

Somewhere like Hardwareversand build your computer for you for a couple of extra euro. Any oem build will have size restrictions, goes with the territory here. :)

Nick

Advertisement