Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking/ Walking close to London

Options
  • 16-12-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some good trails that are reasonably close to London (that can be done in a day trip).

Already thinking ahead to January.... and my fitness regime :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

A pre-Christmas guilt trip, fantastic ;)

Leaving aside inner-London walking, there's the Thames Path, which is rather massive. I've done 30k along it from Hampton Court to Wandsworth though and it's a nice flat walk through some of the prettier (read: affluent) suburbs of London with some decent pubs along the way

There's also the 15-section Capital Ring Route which, rather imaginatively, rings the capital. I've been meaning to make a start on this for almost a year now

Of course, being London, there's nothing approaching a hill for miles around. The best I've seen in the south are the gentle valleys of Wiltshire; if you can stand a train journey then there's some beautiful walking country around there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The Capital Ring Route looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Reekwind wrote: »

Leaving aside inner-London walking, there's the Thames Path, which is rather massive. I've done 30k along it from Hampton Court to Wandsworth though and it's a nice flat walk through some of the prettier (read: affluent) suburbs of London with some decent pubs along the way

There's also the 15-section Capital Ring Route which, rather imaginatively, rings the capital. I've been meaning to make a start on this for almost a year now

Of course, being London, there's nothing approaching a hill for miles around. The best I've seen in the south are the gentle valleys of Wiltshire; if you can stand a train journey then there's some beautiful walking country around there

Thanks for those suggestions!

Yes......I suppose it is a bit of a pre-Christmas guilt trip.....A lot of force feeding goes on at my house during the Chrimbo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Good website that friends of mine have used in the past.

http://www.walking-routes.co.uk/

Playboy wrote: »
    Good website that friends of mine have used in the past.

http://www.walking-routes.co.uk/

Thanks! I definitely don't have any excuse now to be a slob in January :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I did this walk in late September and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Arundel to Amberley

Involves a train journey of about an hour and 20 minutes there and back.

Going to try go on as many similar walks as possible once the weather improves next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Reekwind wrote: »

Believe it or not but going the other way is even prettier I often cycle from Hampton court to Winsor great park. But dont cycle down the really long stright bit of road.... Thats for the Queen and no one else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

The Capital Ring Route looks interesting

It really is.

I walk Section 6 regularly (Wimbledon Park to Richmond) and it's superb. You'd never know you're in London at all, especially as much of it is in Richmond Park.

I keep meaning to go further and do the rest of the Ring, so hopefully 2013 is that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I took part in a 50k in Box hill this year with 7,000 ft of vertical gain i.e up. So it's not true that there's no hills near London. The train takes 55 minutes and a return ticket is 7.50 at the weekends. Highly recommended but challenging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some good trails that are reasonably close to London (that can be done in a day trip).

Box Hill in Surrey, about an hour from Victoria. It's quite tough, but when the weather's decent the views are amazing.

Head the Wall: Great minds think alike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Surrey is really beautiful. Lots of green belt although rumour is that building permission is being considered by the government on some of the green belt.

http://www.walkinginsurrey.co.uk/index.php

Thanks everyone! Some excellent suggestions there. Keep them coming....

I went to Epping forest today, which was lots of fun. Got some strange looks coming home on the tube though as I was knee-deep in mud! Fun times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I took part in a 50k in Box hill this year with 7,000 ft of vertical gain i.e up. So it's not true that there's no hills near London. The train takes 55 minutes and a return ticket is 7.50 at the weekends. Highly recommended but challenging
    philologos wrote: »
    Box Hill in Surrey, about an hour from Victoria. It's quite tough, but when the weather's decent the views are amazing.

Head the Wall: Great minds think alike!

I worked in Dorking for a while and Box Hill was very popular wih colleagues. I believe the Olympic road cycling went through there as well.

There is also the Chiltern Way which is a nice walk. I've only done the Princes Risborough to Marlow stretch.

The Thames Path from Windsor to MArlow is also a nice (but obviously very flat) walk with some good pubs on the way. I recommend a pint at the Bounty in Bourne End. It is an unusual pub with no road access. The bridge to it is a relatively new addition as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hey all

Box Hill (Leatherhead/Surrey) = lovely gentle climb, and a very nice day trip.

Ah ha, just read Frattons post after I posted this! nice to see all the Bikes on a Sunday too . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Thames barrier to Tower Bridge along the Thames

Interesting to see the diversity of Riverside London e.g The abandoned Industrial areas, Greenwich, Canary Wharf/yacht Marinas and River side Cafes/restaurants

Interesting items along the route are the 02 Centre, the Cutty Sark and the City Farm amongst others

maringo wrote: »
    Surrey is really beautiful. Lots of green belt although rumour is that building permission is being considered by the government on some of the green belt.

http://www.walkinginsurrey.co.uk/index.php

Cheers Maringo. Did a lovely walk in Surrey yesterday. Will definitely be going back to try out some more :-)

Advertisement