Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to sender

Options
  • 16-12-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hope someone can help me... A package arrived in the post a few days ago from the US, its not for me its for a previous tenant of my house. I'd like to return it to the sender as I'm sure its a Christmas present, there is a return address on the package so if I just write return to sender on it and drop it in the post box will it be delivered ??? I don't fancy having to pay for it......Bah humbug:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why not contact the previous tenant instead and ask them to pick it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Or drop it into your local post sorting office, they might have a forwarding address.

It could be for me. I know someone in America :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Ahh c'mon...someone HAD to post it...right?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

write a note to the sender and ask them to get the recipient to collect it from you - or you can donate it to charity if not collected by mid jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Thanks for that everyone, especially the Elvis song, really enjoyed that....:D Before posting the question I asked the landlord about a forwarding address but no luck there.... So I'll drop it in the post office...I'm still curious and would like to know if return to sender works without payment so I guess I'll ask in the post office..... Thanks again and Happy Christmas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Cross out the address and write "Return to sender" on the front and back of the envelope, and stick it back in the post box. You don't need to bring it into the post office or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bnear wrote: »
    Thanks for that everyone, especially the Elvis song, really enjoyed that....:D Before posting the question I asked the landlord about a forwarding address but no luck there.... So I'll drop it in the post office...I'm still curious and would like to know if return to sender works without payment so I guess I'll ask in the post office..... Thanks again and Happy Christmas....

There is no charge to return to sender, if there was I'd consider it another Christmas present:D

Finally got into the post office today and guess what ?? You do have to pay to return to sender !!! So looks like I have an unexpected present under the tree !!!! Ho ho ho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You wouldn't have to pay if you simply drop it into an An Post postbox. After that it's their problem & your conscience would be clear.

Ah I was looking forward to a surprise on Christmas morning but now I'm feeling guilty !!! I'll have to drop it in the post office.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You wouldn't have to pay if you simply drop it into an An Post postbox. After that it's their problem & your conscience would be clear.

I think in that case it becomes the postmans christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yeah they changed that recently whereby they brought in a charge. Makes fuck all sense of course, but then when did that ever stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

enda1 wrote: »
    Yeah they changed that recently whereby they brought in a charge. Makes f[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]k all sense of course, but then when did that ever stop them?

I thought that was just for forwarding post to a different address though? Not returning to sender.

I got it from the horses mouth ( well the Post mistress ) you have to pay to return it to the sender, so thats the official answer..... problem solved, thanks for all the replies. Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

enda1 wrote: »
    Yeah they changed that recently whereby they brought in a charge. Makes fuck all sense of course, but then when did that ever stop them?

I wonder were people opening the packages then putting stuff they wanted to send back to the sender , resealing it and writing "return to sender"

Advertisement