Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boat for pike fishing on rivers

Options
  • 16-12-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

lookin for some advise lads,what type of boat would ye reccommend for pike fishing mainly on the river barrow?...also what size outboard?.....depts of the areas i fish generally go from 1.5-12ft..i will probaly be fishing solo most of the time so it needs to be easy to launch too

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Have a look at some of the aluminium boats they are easy to launch on your own and can take a bit of a beating, anything from 12- 18 foot should do with about a 10 hp motor depending on weight and size. Here are some http://www.afloat.ie/boats-for-sale/welcome/6-fishing-boats/156-linder-355-sports/ or if you want one that needs a bit of work http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/4306231

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

kayaks are becoming very popular these days with anglers, especially with sea
    angling. just shows you how safe they have become.

there easy to launch, and you don't need a trailer as they can fit on the roof of your car. you can also use them in shallow water. they are more stealthy as there is no outboard needed, also a new kayak is probably cheaper than a second hand river/lake boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35gHdq7ldo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I did a fair bit of sea fishing from a kayak the summer before last. It's mighty craic. Three mackerel on will literally tow the thing. I dunno what would happen with a 20lb pike :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

SeaFields wrote: »
    I did a fair bit of sea fishing from a kayak the summer before last. It's mighty craic. Three mackerel on will literally tow the thing. I dunno what would happen with a 20lb pike :eek::D

i have tarpoon 100 and got towed into reeds (therefore lost fish) couple of times by doubles... And i'm using anchor since... (had no opportunity to test it yet...). + barrow look rather quick for comfortable fishing with kayak...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

MarcinG wrote: »

i have tarpoon 100 and got towed into reeds (therefore lost fish) couple of times by doubles... And i'm using anchor since... (had no opportunity to test it yet...). + barrow look rather quick for comfortable fishing with kayak...

i will be fishing 2 rods drifting deadbaits under floats...and some trolling in the warmer months.....more chance of seeing me paddling down the river in a rusty old wheelbarrow than a kayak to be honest..just not my cup of tea..

coulnt see landing big fish a problem doe...garry robinson who writes for the anglers digest has caught and landed plenty of tope with his!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Where abouts on the barrow would you be fishing if you dont mind me asking? 13-19ft foot boat would suit the best. Anything from a 5 horse power engine upwards would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Where abouts on the barrow would you be fishing if you dont mind me asking? 13-19ft foot boat would suit the best. Anything from a 5 horse power engine upwards would suffice.
    i would be fishing upstream of athy..;)

Advertisement