Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggys... Again

Options
  • 16-12-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Girls my head is actually melted trying to pick a buggy. We want to put deposit down in jan to give ourselves a chance to spread the cost before the baby arrives but we can't actually decide on one. Would love some opinions!! We are between 3 buggys:
    1. Quinny buzz.
    Pros- highly recommended by family members, only 699 for entire package in eurobaby right now, great suspension for lots of walking.
    Cons - tad bulky as we live in a small house, basket underneath is just teeny (I know this seems like a small gripe but I walk alot and when you're shopping what do you do with the bags???)

2. Uppababy vistas
    Pros - about 969 all in ( v dear but still cheaper than some), can be converted for use for two children, will have decent resale value if we chose a different buggy when/if we have more kids, HUGE basket underneath, cot can be used for overnight sleeping, great suspension and foam tyres so no punctures, listed in the which best buys.
    Cons- price (cheaper than others but still dear), the handle feels about an inch to high for me, not mad about the fabrics (I'd learn to love them though if I had too!!), still a very bulky frame (widest part is the same width of the quinny)

3. Bugaboo cameleon
    Pros - v neat for our small house, great suspension and foam tyres, HUGE basket again, probably my fabourite in terms of aesthetics but I know this isn't an important factor, tend to have a good resale value for when/if we extend our family, cot can also be used for overnight sleeping
    Cons- price!! (it's 1259 all in), cot is quite low down for an adult bending, have heard mixed reviews although they have won the which best buy.

I'm leaning towards the bugaboo ( which I swore I would never buy!). I've looked at. Few second hand and its about 400 second hand which totals about 700 when we add in the car seat and base. I think this is a lot of money for something second hand though!

So I think that's all my concerns laid out....what would/did you do???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

did you check the baby elegance range i got the beep twist its a good job to and wont break the bank
    the frame folds small enough to fit in the boot of a mini

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Wils110 wrote: »
    did you check the baby elegance range i got the beep twist its a good job to and wont break the bank
    the frame folds small enough to fit in the boot of a mini

I'd second looking at the baby elegance range. We have the beep and love it. I always think the bugaboos look way way too low. I couldn't have justified paying that much money when the beep covered all our needs for a fraction of the price, plus the system comes with a car seat too, no messing around with adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What about the iCandy Peach?

I've had mine three months and really like it (im a walker too!). Basket is huge, buggy is very sturdy with good suspension .. I got mine second hand and its perfect. My one gripe is that the base is quite heavy putting it in and out of the car but that's also why is feels so solid and easy to push!

It has solid tyres too, cot can be used for overnight sleeping and the fold is dead easy (much more straight forward than bugaboo!) We considered all the buggys you mentioned and the peach came out tops for us. Oh it can also convert to a double ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm going to throw the baby jogger city select in....!
    Convertible to double
    Handle adjustable
    Cot can be used for over night
    Non inflatable tyres
    Great huge basket
    Can be used as double in sooo many variations - see the YouTube video.
    Used as a single for 10 months so far and love it!

Cons - heavy ish to put in boot - but I'm still
    Managing fine at 5 months pregnant :)
    Price - think ours was 1099 including everything!

We bought a petit star zia stroller for airport travel etc as we do a fair bit and don't want to get baby jogger damaged

Think baby jogger lighter than icandy but not much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi yellow hen congrats

I had the quinny would not recommend it for lots of walking the front wheels are too small and it can over turn on very rough ground .
    Front big wheels are essential for walking country roads just my opinion from my experience .
    The quinny speedi is much more suited for walking but is very similar in size to single phil n ted
    The phil n ted is my preference I think any thing that can convert to double is a big plus
    From your list I would go with the uppababy
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We have the uppababy, havnt had the chance to use it yet but it's ticked all our list...our only con was the price but we paid 899 including easy fix base and maxi cosi car seat! I love the fact that the carry cot is going to be our Moses basket and that we can make it a double and how light weight the frame, with buggy seat on, is. I can pick it up 40 weeks pregnant no bother (well except that my OH freaks out if I attempt to pick up anything haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Wowzers. I feel like a cheap skate now. I got my buggy, cot, car seat and base for €250 brand new and love it.

Gracco Quattro tour deluxe.

Massive basket. So so easy to fold (1 hand). Solid wheels. Suspension. Great for walking on country roads. It does look a little big when they are tiny but 8 months on and she still naps in it and likes the space for playing in it as opposed to a smaller push chair.

It is quite big but we tested it in our car before we bought it.

I'm delighted with it. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

Yellow hen, we had the Quinny as an option also but in the end we went with bugaboo camelon. Now we haven't yet used it but it fit all our boxes that needed ticking.
    Light enough for me to fold quickly and also the basenett is suitable as an overnight sleeper which saves on the whole one more item to pack if you want a night to stay a night somewhere.
    The reviews it has received really sold it for us and also three of our friends have it and have nothing but good things to say.
    The price at the time we were putting deposit on it was €1188 and they have agreed to change it to the 3 version for no extra cost. We have now also decided to go the bugaboo changing bag aswell so our total cost is €1288.
    We were going to buy it in Bella Baby Dundrum but the day we went out they were very busy and we had wanted a demonstration and they just said it wasn't possible. We had even offered to call back in a while but it wasn't a runner so in the end we went home but on the way popped into Tony Kealys and received a full demo within about 3mins of entering the shop. Lady couldn't have been any more helpful and very happy with our decision now.
    Hope this helps you somewhat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

We chose the Uppababy based on lots of positive reviews online and teh fact that it was number 1 in Which best buys (and the fact that my sister, on her 3rd child looked at it with me and thought it looked great - she has the quinny from her last child). Baby Jogger - City Mini GT has now overtaken it at the no. 1 spot on Which. Have heard from a friend that thats a great buggy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

We got the Kunert pram on ebay. It converts to a buggy etc and car seat and a few extra bits to go with it. Rain cover etc All for £179 plus free shipping.

It's a fine looking pram, only thing is it looks very big and is heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

God, I'm more confused than ever now!!!!

I will definitely check out the Baby Elegance beep properly this weekend. I've heard several people mention it with good reports.

The icandy peach was definitely on our list originally but there are major supply problems in ireland now so even if we did manage to source one, I suspect that we would have problems dealing with problems that might possibly arise.

The baby jogger I've also heard mentioned before. Again, we need to check it out properly. Do you know who supplies them in Dublin?

We're going to see a second hand bugaboo tonight just to see what we could get for our money. Am trying desperately to keep all ideas open. Will report back on what we go with for anyone else still in indecision like us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

haha poor you! i found buying our system was way more confusing than buying a car! you wouldn't think it, but there is so much to consider. I found the things i liked, a price i could live with and bit the bullet! I think something thats good to consider is the warranty coverage if something goes wrong, the life span you can expect from buggy and the resale value as well. if those things are good then any of them will be a smart decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Bella baby in dundrum to the baby jogger and maybe eurobaby? Not kealys tho unfort as I love them otherwise!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bella baby can be really expensive.
    Boots sells the baby jogger,as does mothercare.

If you do a lot of walking do look at the suspension and the wheels.

Our graco quattro tour has plastic wheels and is a nightmare for walking,but folds as one and has a huge basket so not so bad for travelling.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Bella baby can be really expensive.
    Boots sells the baby jogger,as does mothercare.

If you do a lot of walking do look at the suspension and the wheels.

Our graco quattro tour has plastic wheels and is a nightmare for walking,but folds as one and has a huge basket so not so bad for travelling.

The walking is a huge thing for me so that's an important factor.

I'm finding it hard to get past the bugaboo to be honest. It ticks so many boxes, pity it's so ludicrously priced! Will try keep an open mind until we check out the other names mentioned here.

So we went to see the bugaboo and I have a question for those of you who have one.. Does the cot and the pram use the same metal chassis? In the shop you see both ready to be used but this eve, the cot part did not have a solid frame to it so it looked like it would strap to the metal frame which the pram was on. Does that make sense?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

which Bugaboo is it?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    which Bugaboo is it?

Cameleon. It was a first generation that we saw this eve.

I have never pushed one but I have heard great things about them:)
    Happy Buggying:)

I think that's the one that has the soft pram insert that sits into the pushchair option.

• Advertisement

Hi Ginny,

Does that mean that there is two options? ie. another one which is a seperate hard framed pram?

Here you go,http://www.bugaboo.com/learn/bugaboo-cameleon;jsessionid=A8A00620999DD26E9593CDD6839B08D1
    I was actually thinking of the bee system http://www.bugaboo.com/learn/bugaboo-bee

From what I gather the camelon should have 1 frame with a carrycot(pram) you can take this off and stick the pushchair bit on the same frame. The Bee has the pushchair attached to the frame and the soft carrycot then sits into the pushchair bit.
    Sorry if confused you.
    For our beep we have 1 frame and the car seat, carrycot and pushchair bits can all inter change on the frame.

Actually if you're looking at second hand ones in Dublin you could check here:https://m.facebook.com/groups/414937528546076?__user=672466187#!/profile.php?id=145850695469549&ref=stream&__user=672466187

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

We have the quinny buzz. While I've got used to it, I still really hate the basket its just so tiny and if theres anything in it it catch in the front wheel which is really annoying! I do find it good otherwise, nice and sturdy. I wanted the baby elegance beep twist but himself got his way with the quinny! I would still prefer the beep twist I think.

Thanks for all the replies girls!

We went to see a second hand bugaboo on Tuesday night and it was immaculate. A 2nd generation one with foam tyres and we could see that the couple had taken great care of it. We have agreed a price of €430 (bugaboo is €900 new) so pending one last onspection, we're going to go with it. I'm delighted with that price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Anyone know where is the best (cheapest) place to get a Bugaboo Cemeleon 3. I'm seeing prices around €940 everywhere. Is this the best price or an I looking in the wrong places.

Tks, IB

I don't know much about the cameleon 3 but our experience in looking at 2nd generation buggys was that the price was regulated and didn't vary between suppliers. A bit like apple products. Unless you try to negotiate directly with a store...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

yellow hen wrote: »
    I don't know much about the cameleon 3 but our experience in looking at 2nd generation buggys was that the price was regulated and didn't vary between suppliers. A bit like apple products. Unless you try to negotiate directly with a store...

Tks, see you went for the second generation one. Do you know the difference between all 3 generations and are you still happy with your purchase.

Tks, see you went for the second generation one. Do you know the difference between all 3 generations and are you still happy with your purchase.

I have no idea of the difference between 2nd and 3rd gen. Only real difference between 1st and 2nd is that the second has foam tyres as opposed to air filled. We still haven't had our baby so I can't give you an honest reply but we paid almost €500 less than a new one and it is absolutely immaculate. It's definitely worth looking around, particularly if you are considering subsequent children in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭andylennon11

Hi girls ,I'm also buggy shopping and didn't relause how clueless I was and how hard it is to pick one! I'm on a budget so don't need celeb brands but want an easy to fold lightweight buggy but that's able for long walks on country roads and also of course to whizz around shops! I love neutral colours too. I'm in athlone and looked in babyland and peekaboo. Peekaboo had fab ones but I don't know the brands atall eg Messina, toko... I wud like to purchase locally. Any advise? Thanks! Ps 2 nd baby after 12 years so it's like starting over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

My wife's expecting in July and we're looking for a 3 in 1 'yoke' suitable for country roads. Would love to hear of any recommendations and any good websites to start looking. Thanks.

Advertisement