Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shankill beach good for walking?

Options
  • 16-12-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I've Googled Shankill beach but can't find much detailed info about it, including the Dublin Council beaches page. I'm considering a move to Shankill soon.

I'm recovering from two ruptured discs and can only walk lots, to get my fitness back. Can anyone tell me what this beach is like to walk on? I read its pebbles as opposed to sand? Need to walk several km a day, but have to avoid steep hills and anything that might twist my back.

Any info would be hugely helpful and yep, I'm going to check it out in person, in the next week or two.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its pebbles and I would say you would, be better on Killiney beach if possible.
    Max001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I've Googled Shankill beach but can't find much detailed info about it, including the Dublin Council beaches page. I'm considering a move to Shankill soon.

I'm recovering from two ruptured discs and can only walk lots, to get my fitness back. Can anyone tell me what this beach is like to walk on? I read its pebbles as opposed to sand? Need to walk several km a day, but have to avoid steep hills and anything that might twist my back.

Any info would be hugely helpful and yep, I'm going to check it out in person, in the next week or two.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Killiney beach is a nice spot. Shankill beach, only from what I've heard and a little of what I've seen, can attract a bit of antisocial behaviour.
    But iirc the beach is flat enough and stretches a few km up to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Much obliged guys. I'll try both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could always park up at Shankill FC, it is beside Shanganagh Cemetary. From their you take a stroll through Shanganagh Park, go all the way over towards the opposite side and then you can access a quieter beach there, you go down a few steps to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you get the Dart to Dalkey, then walk through "the metals" to Dun Laoghaire, it's a pathway that shadows the DART line, nice and flat.

http://dublinobserver.com/2011/01/the-metals-opens-as-an-irish-heart-foundation-route/

http://www.irishheart.ie/media/pub/slinaslainte/dun_laoghairethe_metals_180310final.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

You need to walk the waters edge to avoid the pebbles. Theres also new pathways from Bayview estate to Shanganagh cliffs via the new water treatment works. From there head towards the Tennis courts of Shankill via Corbawn drive and a back road (Quinns rd) into the Shanganagh park/Cemetary areas. Nothing antisocial during 'normal' hours.

This is my regular walk.

Advertisement