Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60 euros a month for this

Options
  • 16-12-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

2376629443.png

I suppose it's pointless to ask, but I will anyway, if Williamstown, Co. Galway is ever going to get NGB.

I currently have two "Emobile" bill pay phones, neither of which have ever picked up a 3g signal at home, they occasionally get a poor "Edge" signal or else roam on a gsm only Vodafone connection, so are useless, but I digress.

My €60 a month broadband package (up to 7mb) gets a download speed of 0.12mb, and after all this, I had to buy a "Three" payg modem just to get on the internet.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with my equipment, or line.
    It works fine as long as I have insomnia.

2359056597.png

Is this as good as it's going to get ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Zimmerframe

Apologies for the inconvenience. Can you DM your landline number and I will run a test on your line?

Also, Are you referring to the Williamstown exchange near Castlerea Roscommon?

Regards

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Are you referring to the Williamstown exchange near Castlerea Roscommon?

Regards

Alan

Thats the one.
    Sent you my number but as I get fine speeds at night, I doubt a line check will help.

Any chance of NGB or even a 3G signal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Could you look at my broadband too? Its slowed down easy after I reset the modem.

Hi zimmerframe

Apologies for the delay in replying to your previous post, I have looked into your query but unfortunately at this time there are no plans to upgrade this exchange to NGB. I cannot identify any issues on your line my guess is that this may be a congestion issue however my best advice is to call technical support should you want to get a better idea of what may be slowing this at the times mentioned. I am sorry i could not offer better help.

Regards

Al

Hi zimmerframe

Apologies for the delay in replying to your previous post, I have looked into your query but unfortunately at this time there are no plans to upgrade this exchange to NGB. I cannot identify any issues on your line my guess is that this may be a congestion issue however my best advice is to call technical support should you want to get a better idea of what may be slowing this at the times mentioned. I am sorry i could not offer better help.

Regards

Al

No offence m8, but I know it's congestion, and I know that there is nothing wrong with my line, I said both in my opening post.
    There is nothing wrong with my equipment, or line.
    It works fine as long as I have insomnia.
    Is this as good as it's going to get ?

I was merely enquiring if Eircom had any plans to rectify the matter, and I gather from your reply the answer is NO they don't.

• Advertisement

Worth a bump, I suppose to show nothing has changed.
    I remember the good old days when my 56k modem was "speedy".
    I just got my €120 Eircom bill for broadband only and this is my current speed.
    2645791439.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Worth a bump, I suppose to show nothing has changed.
    I remember the good old days when my 56k modem was "speedy".
    I just got my €120 Eircom bill for broadband only and this is my current speed.
    2645791439.png

Jesus I feel bad for you

justryan wrote: »
    Jesus I feel bad for you
    Cheers, I feel bad for me too. This is the best I can get i.e up to 7mb.
    Unfortunately don't have a lot of choice, only grimace and bear it
    Might give satellite a shot.

I guess some of them are gone to bed now.

2645977950.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I guess some of them are gone to bed now.

2645977950.png

Have you considered changing provider? UPC maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

g2646122386.png

That speed is appalling, ^^^ this is what I get for €44 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

murrayp4 wrote: »
    g

Yeah, but you have the luxury of services reserved for well populated urban areas. Try moving outside any of these areas to even a small town or village and see what your options are!!

The government in this country really need to start leveling the playing field here. Zimmerframe and myself for example  pay the exact same line rental charges as someone living where u are (I know u are with UPC, but you still also have an option for 'traditional' phoneline broadband if you wanted), yet the speeds/products/prices available to you on that same phone-line are way above what we can opt for from the same company!

Are you listening Mr. Rabbitte? We pay the same line rental charges, why are we not able to avail of the same services?

2648373126.png

I guess everybody is in bed now, except me. Yipeee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I guess everybody is in bed now, except me. Yipeee
    I presume you're trying a few different servers and speedtest providers?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

If you're stuck with eircom it might be best to downgrade to a cheaper package?

2705603928.png

Worse it's getting, look at that for a ping time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Worse it's getting, look at that for a ping time.

Jaysus, your pings are diabolical. When they're upgrading the exchanges to fiber, they'll be upgrading the old exchanges to ADSL+2. If you're lucky, you might get upgraded by this July. If not, maybe December 2013 or 2014.

Would switching to Vodafone or Sky help things?

You really should look at your options. There is satellite broadband on offer now. It would probably be better for you to ditch Eircom altogether, get satellite bb and get a good mobile phone package with another provider.
    If it makes you feel any better... if I were with Eircom, the best speed I could get is 0.5mbps and I live in Naas which is not rural. Luckily I can go with UPC and get 100mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

justryan wrote: »
    Have you considered changing provider? UPC maybe?

UPC near Williamstown? Not a notion unfortunately......
    Qsat might be worth a look. Cancel eircom as soon as you can. No point paying for that.

You really should look at your options. There is satellite broadband on offer now. It would probably be better for you to ditch Eircom altogether, get satellite bb and get a good mobile phone package with another provider.
    If it makes you feel any better... if I were with Eircom, the best speed I could get is 0.5mbps and I live in Naas which is not rural. Luckily I can go with UPC and get 100mbps.

Believe me, I have looked at my options, but unfortunately they are pretty limited. I presume Sky + Vodafone will be more of the same as all I have is a phone line from a non ngb exchange, and I don't fancy starting a new contract to find out.
    There is NO Vodafone or Meteor or O2 3g signal, so that leaves only Three and that too crawls at peak times.
    I did try one way satellite years ago and that was a waste of space, but I haven't tried any of the two way services like Tooway yet.
    Was kinda hanging on to see if 4g will be implemented anytime soon, but I suppose rural masts will be last.
    I better do a bit more research on the satellite option as it's pretty expensive to set up initially although at this stage, I will try anything.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, your pings are diabolical. 

and from Eircom's own speedcheck, a ping of 1621 lol

20130513092802pm.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

murrayp4 wrote: »
    g

Eircom, doesn't care. Comreg is a joke too always has been.  To have broadband with Eircom isn't cheap like, you'd expect some bit of quality from them for what you pay.

Then they go and claim certain areas of Ireland are not viable for Fibre or even better internet technologies. How does that even make sense?  Eircom when you charge way and above the European average for broadband?  Do you not think you're letting down your customers?

Ireland has the highest broadband charges across Europe. Only culprit for that would be Eircom. I don't mind paying for a decent service, but my internet is only ASDL1 

Like just invest in rural areas you already do charge crazy amounts of money for your DSL internet. Maybe just charge a little bit more for the use of a better internet service?

I know it does absolutely no good, and I know Eircom aren't listening, but I may as well keep posting as it's somewhat therapeutic and my internet is too SLOW to do anything useful.

I repeat, 60 euros per month, I live about 2km from my local exchange and there is nothing wrong with my phone line. See that for a ping time, while I listen to ads babbling about efibre on my tv.

2794168269.png

I know it does absolutely no good, and I know Eircom aren't listening, but I may as well keep posting as it's somewhat therapeutic and my internet is too SLOW to do anything useful.

I repeat, 60 euros per month, I live about 2km from my local exchange and there is nothing wrong with my phone line. See that for a ping time, while I listen to ads babbling about efibre on my tv.
    Hi Zimmerframe

I would like to assure you that I am listening as I can clearly see your post. I have previously responded to your query and I had advised that I am unable to offer a solution to your issue from here. I also advised that you contact eircom broadband technical support.
    As a moderator representing eircom on this forum I can only advise you of what you should do with the information I have available to me and considering there is nothing I can do from here the only advice I can further offer is to contact broadband technical support (1890260260).

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i see your doing a speed test over a wifi connection... speed test done over wifi are NEVER accurate. wifi speeds vary constantly and therefore distort tests note your 2400ms+ latency!!!!... always test using an ethernet cable connected to your computer and modem.

ethernet cables are fixed speed and thus give you an accurate test result

all isp customers get the same issue when tests are done of wifi connections. its not any one isp's fault for this blame the clowns that designed the wifi protocols for this.

Advertisement